Nothing bigger than a hand phone on flights into US and UK

Airport security as a whole is a real joke. I've never understand it:
- where i live you can take one lighter on board but not two. So i guess if you are a terrorist you just need to be two terrorist boarding and job done...
- also you can't take a bottle of water, that look like water, smell like water and taste like water. But you can buy sealed bottled inside the airport? So how to they checked each bottle that arrives by palettes to be sold to you? If you are a terrorist you just need an inside man that work in a shop...
-last time i came back from France, i was taken a bit of cheese by the security because it was too liquid so likely a bomb... just stinky cheese really...

Airport security as a whole is a real joke.

Some time ago I used to visit some of the UK's most sensitive sites and nowhere did I ever think WoW, the security here is impressive. I suppose the catch is that it is there or will be relatively soon and if you're the kind of person who looks for openings you'll have to be willing to accept that the odds are that although you may have time to do some serious evil you'll probably die for your cause.

PS.
All this just made me think about a chocolate shop in central Asia that had it's own armed guard :D I never saw anyone on a chocolate high run amuck though.

Last edited:
If you stop laptop why not stopping all kind of electronic device? They all have wifi, all have bluetooth, all can hold quantity of explosive enough to make a hole in a window especially if you combine more that one item...

Why not forbid too any person with a black belt of martial art to come on board they can do a lot of damage and kill the pilot?

Oh and why not forbid all pen because with a good pen and some bad intention you can stab someone in the trachea.

Where can you stop? You'll never be safe enough until we are all strap to the seat from start to end of the journey with no electrical devices and with all stewards being security people watching us. I'm stereotyping a lot but with the worse intention and being ready to die for your cause i can't see how this kind of security can stop events to happens.

Airport security as a whole is a real joke.
There's a quote from a security expert in the Independent yesterday which (to paraphrase) basically saying if security checks can't tell between a laptop and a laptop stuffed with explosives then we're all screwed.

Just been announced by the Department of Transport that cameras are exempt and can be taken on board.

That sounds like good news for photographers, but in these days of heightened security I'm getting worried that my camera might be mistaken for a weapon... after all, it has got Canon written on the front of it!

Last edited:
But real cameras aren't marked like that! :p:p:p

Just read the latest report, Emirates are not on the list going into the UK so I guess I am okay "TFFT" .............I will still have to call thought to check before I fly
smile.png

Problem now though is that I was looking forward to picking up a X1D at Ffordes in June as I will need a camera while in the UK...............s*** come on Maggie, ban Emirates as well please
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I flew to KL today - via Dubai - using Emirates with my usual rucksack of camera equipment weighing 12-13kg - no problems at all. Was also carrying an oversized LED photography light - service was as good as ever. As has been mentioned - only affects routes to the US for now.

Just read the latest report, Emirates are not on the list going into the UK so I guess I am okay "TFFT" .............I will still have to call thought to check before I fly
smile.png

Problem now though is that I was looking forward to picking up a X1D at Ffordes in June as I will need a camera while in the UK...............s*** come on Maggie, ban Emirates as well please
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

I flew to KL today - via Dubai - using Emirates with my usual rucksack of camera equipment weighing 12-13kg - no problems at all. Was also carrying an oversized LED photography light - service was as good as ever. As has been mentioned - only affects routes to the US for now.

If you're into conspiracy theories... one theory is that it's all about banning (or at least restricting) Emirates flying into USA to give American airlines a boost because Emirates are involved in dodgy illicit subsidies...

Of course that's no comfort for anyone restricted by the erm restrictions!

If you're into conspiracy theories... one theory is that it's all about banning (or at least restricting) Emirates flying into USA to give American airlines a boost because Emirates are involved in dodgy illicit subsidies...

Of course that's no comfort for anyone restricted by the erm restrictions!
Maybe not just a theory.. sounds quite plausible to me...

Back