"Now, was this Pan-F or Velvia?"

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Many of my cameras have no slot to put the film box into to remind me which film is in there. I genuinely don't know whether one of them has expired Velvia or expired Pan-F in there.

What I need is a small, cheap, plastic device that either screws into the tripod bush or slides into a hotshoe (I rarely use either) that I can put a reminder in. Ever seen anything similar?

Many of my cameras have no slot to put the film box into to remind me which film is in there. I genuinely don't know whether one of them has expired Velvia or expired Pan-F in there.

What I need is a small, cheap, plastic device that either screws into the tripod bush or slides into a hotshoe (I rarely use either) that I can put a reminder in. Ever seen anything similar?
I have the same problem and was pondering the exact same question the other day. I do remember that you used to be able to buy stick on holders for the ends of 35mm film boxes but thats too big for 120, also because a lot of my film don't have boxes then something that could either be written on or a small note slipped in would be great. I like the idea of something that could either screw onto the tripod bush or slide into the accessory shoe, either would be great, I've looked and haven't found anything.

I know he's on holiday but this sounds like a job for @stevelmx5

How do :0). Funnily enough I've already drawn up a holder for my 37mm lens caps that slots into the cold shoe of the TLR. The same mount could be used to hold a small square of paper or wipe able plastic.

How do :0). Funnily enough I've already drawn up a holder for my 37mm lens caps that slots into the cold shoe of the TLR. The same mount could be used to hold a small square of paper or wipe able plastic.
Get back to your holiday!

A few years ago, I used our laser cutter to make same self adhesive film memo holders to stick to camera backs. These were offered to APUG members. I could be persuaded to make some more...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/44730-film-carton-memo-holder-2.html

Steve.
Cor, they look good. I'd deffo be interested.

Also cool! I'd love to see it when you've done it.

Damn, I wish I was handy with these things. I wouldn't trust myself with a stanley knife, let alone a laser cutter. I blame my parents for not calling me Steve, it's the only explanation that makes sense.

I print off (in large letters) the camera details and the film make on A4 then pin it up, then take the first frame to show the info on each film.
OK, you lose one piccy from each film, but at least you know all the details.

I print off (in large letters) the camera details and the film make on A4 then pin it up, then take the first frame to show the info on each film.
OK, you lose one piccy from each film, but at least you know all the details.

Yeah, but if the films in the camera/back and you can't remember what's loaded...

Even MY memory's not THAT bad!
I wish mine wasn't, I have cameras loaded with film that I have no idea at all what's in them, even the ones I loaded in the last month, let alone those from last year. I really need some sort of memo attachment.

Me too. I sometimes have 4 or 5 loaded at once and some of them can be loaded months ago, a terribly bad system but it just happens that way sometimes. I would be very interested in a few of these clips if any became available, sounds like a cracking idea.

If the camera has no memo holder, I just use a white self-adhesive label, write the film type on it and then stick it
on the camera somewhere. I can't see what all the fuss is about.

If the camera has no memo holder, I just use a white self-adhesive label, write the film type on it and then stick it
on the camera somewhere. I can't see what all the fuss is about.
It's not exactly a fuss and I do use the label method on some of the newer cameras with a decent size metal surface but the labels can leave a sticky residue (ooerr missus) that can be quite damaging to the coverings on older cameras. Something that could be attached to an accessory shoe or tripod point would be useful to me.

It's not exactly a fuss and I do use the label method on some of the newer cameras with a decent size metal surface but the labels can leave a sticky residue (ooerr missus) that can be quite damaging to the coverings on older cameras. Something that could be attached to an accessory shoe or tripod point would be useful to me.

Yep, I stuck a label onto my Baby Bessa and it was a right pain cleaning it off.

Everyone should be labelled.... and pigeon-holed. :D
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered."

I am Spartacus...

(Yes I know, hard to think of a less likely candidate!)

BTW our new grandson earlier this year was definitely labelled at birth, hospital protocol to avoid mixups...

This is where one of the advantages of LF comes into play :D

Remove the film in a dark bag/tent and check the notch codes.

...Of course, whether the frame has been exposed or not, well, that's a different matter :D

You can buy hot shoe covers that would appear to slide in/ Would it be possible to attach a label to one of these - perhaps have different covers marked for different films?

As for checking if a sheet of film has been exposed, use ortho film and develop under a red safelight. If bothing comes up, it wasn't exposed.

This is where one of the advantages of LF comes into play

But not when you find a couple of film holders and slide back the cover to reveal some film which you didn't think was inside... apparently... on more than one occasion.

Steve.

That's reminded me, I did make up something similar a while ago.

These little velcro cable ties were available for about a pound for twenty. Probably useful if you store cameras loaded for a while in a cupboard.

Yeah, that is a good idea for my problem. I usually remember what's in each camera when I'm actually using them. Usually.

Another option is to cut a square of thick card to slide into the hotshoe. You can then slide it out and wrap the paper tab from the 120 roll around it and slide it back in. I did that with my Yashica 635 when we were in the lakes.

Last edited:
Another option is to cut a square of thick card to slide into the hotshoe. You can then slide it out and wrap the paper tab from the 120 roll around it and slide it back in. I did that with my Yashica 635 when we're in the lakes.
What to do when there is no hotshoe? It's a conundrum.

There seem to be several options in this thread... contact @Steve Smith and ask nicely? Try @NickT 's cable tie approach?
I know, they will work for some cameras, I like the cable tie approach but still want to see a nice tripod socket or accessory shoe mounted memo holder fashioned from a chunk of brass, polished aluminium, tortoiseshell or ivory. (OK, not the last two but I want it forged from something that adds value to my Agfa Clack!)

Ok Nick, I'll have a think about the attachment for the discerning gentleman. How about made from the bones of paupers? ;0)

To be fair, while I'm here in Florida I've been needing somewhere to keep my lens cap so have already planned a clip that screws into the tripod socket that I can clip the cap to so shouldn't be much different.

my usual response after I've been out with the camera is turn out my pockets and try and match lens cap to lens. There is usually one in the car and often one just vanishes....

Back