NTL-Telewest to do 50mb soon

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Bet you will still have to phone the 'retentions' number and threaten to leave to get it at a sensible price though :)

My 4mb is currently half price and £9.75 off the TV per month for the sake of a couple of phone calls :)

Just dropped my NTL broadband down from 4M to 2M , got fed up with paying £25 :shake:

Theyve also started traffic shaping very recently too :razz: to them :D

Sorry, hate NTL with a passion. Sick of them knocking on my door telling me they can offer me a superior service to the one I've got.
Cries of "Hang on I'll just phone my mum, see how her NTL phone line is getting on...oh hang on I can't its out of order", are usually met with embarassed mumbles...lol

Nice increase in speeds though. Lets hope it gives the broadband industry in this country the shake up it so needs.
We are way behind the times it's untrue.

At least BT's stranglehold grip on the whole industry is being loosened finger by finger, which is helping.

BT have no control over the cable broadband industry though

No traffic shaping here either, in Sarf Lahndun. If they were so stupid I would just swap ports on emule and bitorrent and get round it anyway. 65,535 ones to play with heheh

My problem with NTL is that I live in a victorian house that has been split into three flats. Instead of each flat having it's own cable as it should, the lazy incompetent installation engineers just split the three flats from one cable.

Since it was installed I have to restart the modem every 10-20 minutes to stay online, and the Pace STB locks up as soon as you look at it.

Their outsourced tech support is next to useless. Kept telling me it was my PC at fault despite the low signal strength on the modem. It took 5 calls at an hour per call before I finally got it sorted and they are sending an engineer to bung in a new cable for us. In 4 weeks time.

One time the tech support got me so annoyed I asked them to hang on, put the phone down and went for a dump. Came back 5 minutes later and they were still on the phone hahaha

It's such a shame we aren't allowed to put a satellite dish up, otherwise I would have Sky and be back with Zen 8Mb at 850kb/sec 24/7, possibly the best ISP in the world.

Just couldn't live with Freeview any longer :(

One time the tech support got me so annoyed I asked them to hang on, put the phone down and went for a dump. Came back 5 minutes later and they were still on the phone hahaha

:clap: I like it!

It's such a shame we aren't allowed to put a satellite dish up, otherwise I would have Sky and be back with Zen 8Mb at 850kb/sec 24/7, possibly the best ISP in the world.

Give Pipex a chance to buy them, and they'll screw it into the ground like they did with all the others they've swallowed up ;)

Port swapping doesn't usually work anymore to get around throttling. ISP's have started sniffing headers, with the more rigorous sniffing the packets.
A way round it would be to use packet encryption so the ISP can't tell for what purpose the data is headed, but I think I read on ADSL guide that a more determined ISP could simply throttle/restrict any packet that it can't decipher.

I suppose that has quite big implications for our online privacy (whatever we think we have anyway..lol).

Some people do use protocol encryption with great effect to get round ISP's traffic shaping though ;)

Ive had NTL for quite a while, ive been using there 10mb service for a long time now and its great... Im currently paying £35/month for it and ive been happy to pay that, in 3 or 4 years with it ive had about 5days with no service at all. I will be offered the 50mb service as soon as it goes into beta and will of course take them up on the offer, i just hope the upload speed is increased.

What's the point having a 50mb connection? Your download speed is only ever going to be as fast as the server you're downloading from.

I think fast internet connections are the "new Ferrari" - so people get to willy-wave for having something that, at the end of the day, isn't much if any better than a much cheaper equivalent.

Give Pipex a chance to buy them, and they'll screw it into the ground like they did with all the others they've swallowed up ;)

Port swapping doesn't usually work anymore to get around throttling. ISP's have started sniffing headers, with the more rigorous sniffing the packets.
A way round it would be to use packet encryption so the ISP can't tell for what purpose the data is headed, but I think I read on ADSL guide that a more determined ISP could simply throttle/restrict any packet that it can't decipher.

I suppose that has quite big implications for our online privacy (whatever we think we have anyway..lol).

Some people do use protocol encryption with great effect to get round ISP's traffic shaping though ;)

Yeah uTorrent has the ability to encrypt protocols, needless to say I use it ;) for my (legal) downloads of Linux distro's :LOL:

I hate Pipex with a vengence, yet another company who treat their customers like dirt.

What's the point having a 50mb connection? Your download speed is only ever going to be as fast as the server you're downloading from.

I think fast internet connections are the "new Ferrari" - so people get to willy-wave for having something that, at the end of the day, isn't much if any better than a much cheaper equivalent.

That depends, I could probably max it out if I tried to. It's only 6.4Mb/sec in real money. Once the major providers are dishing out HD TV shows, on-demand video and movies (interestingly enough NTL are partnering with Bittorrent to do this lol) then that bandwidth will be sucked up pretty quickly.

I just wish we all had 100mb fibre infrastructure like Japan

Yeah uTorrent has the ability to encrypt protocols, needless to say I use it ;) for my (legal) downloads of Linux distro's :LOL:

I hate Pipex with a vengence, yet another company who treat their customers like dirt.

Dont treat their staff much better at the moment either :(

Sorry to hear that. Worked for a few ISP's myself over the years

seen it comming though, they have expanded to quickly and now the lower ranks are paying for it. ah well only go a few months left.

Just dropped my NTL broadband down from 4M to 2M , got fed up with paying £25 :shake:

Well I've had half price BB and free talk unlimited 24 for past 6 months via retentions. Thats just come to an end so I'm back on5p talk plan and dropped from 4 mbit to 2 mbit service. though I'm still getting 4 mbit atm :)

Traffic shaping only sems to be happening on the 10 mbit service and to people who are using things like bittorent to dl.

I'm with virgin, its great, no yearly tie-in contract and its been a solid 8meg line for over a year now...can't complain.

Dont treat their staff much better at the moment either

Likewise with Telewest, I'm being made redundant on 20th December. Ho Ho Ho and a Merry Christmas.

Likewise with Telewest, I'm being made redundant on 20th December. Ho Ho Ho and a Merry Christmas.

That SUCKS. Commiserations.

I can only hope that you can do what I managed to do - walk out of the old job
and straight into the next one and pocket the redundancy payout.

Well I've had half price BB and free talk unlimited 24 for past 6 months via retentions. Thats just come to an end so I'm back on5p talk plan and dropped from 4 mbit to 2 mbit service. though I'm still getting 4 mbit atm :)

Traffic shaping only sems to be happening on the 10 mbit service and to people who are using things like bittorent to dl.

I was on the 4M / Talk unlimited / Family TV @ £49.99 a month but was getting pressure from Mrs G to reduce bills. I phoned up NTL customer support :razz: and asked for options to reduce my bill , only advice was to reduce services :bang:

On the NTL plus side , I'm the only person with Cable in my street , they ran a separate cable from the nearest box in the main road just for me :)

PIPEX is the devil!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't had a phone since September and they keep telling me it is my house but it isn't because the guy has come and says it is fine (plus I have broadband no problem) but they continue to charge us and DO NOT FIX THE PHONE!!!! When I said that is it they said fine but you still owe us the next 3 months of your contract. I HATE PHONE COMPANIES!!!!!!!!!!

I was on the 4M / Talk unlimited / Family TV @ £49.99 a month but was getting pressure from Mrs G to reduce bills. I phoned up NTL customer support :razz: and asked for options to reduce my bill , only advice was to reduce services :bang:

Did you expect them to say, "Here have £10 off per month, and we will still provide you with the same services"? :p

They do that and more all the time Joe.... just say things like talktalk, sky, adsl, local exchange unbundled etc. to retentions on 0800 052 9403 option 2 (least that was the number last time I called them)

I can get 24M adsl from BeThere internet on my local exchange for £25/m so 4M cable for the same is expensive and they don't argue.

im with pipex at the moment, but not happy, so looking to change, cant get cable here so its an adsl supplier, just dont know who, im paying stupid money for a 2mb connection and being traffic shaped off the planet !

Any suggestions ? lol

They do that and more all the time Joe.... just say things like talktalk, sky, adsl, local exchange unbundled etc. to retentions on 0800 052 9403 option 2 (least that was the number last time I called them)

I can get 24M adsl from BeThere internet on my local exchange for £25/m so 4M cable for the same is expensive and they don't argue.

Exactly. You need to scare them into thinking they will lose you. Not just say "How can I reduce my bill."!

Iv,e been with Nildram since I got ADSL some 5 years ago but only just last week sacked them and moved to Zen due to Pipex strangling them.:bang:

Cannot believe that the Zen CS line can be answered in less than 2 rings..:eek: Fantastic..:D

Speeds are just short of twice as fast too. Good work by Zen, I hope it lasts..:)

Pretty much anyone else.

Don't touch Nildram, Pipex, or F2S (All pipex owned companies).

Depends, how much do you download?

or bulldog, homecall, tucan..... the list go's on. Pipex has been on quite a buying spree of smaller ADSL/phone providers this year...

Traffic shaping barstools tbh, its all good saying you have 50mb, but when you can't download bugger all what's the point :\

unfortunately most providers use traffic shaping in one form or another, mainly to stop p2p but they also use it against voip stuff as well as it eats into the ol profit margins.

I use Telewest and think they are great, £35/month for 10meg unlimited beats the pants off an ADSL service. Traffic shaping can't be too bad I get regularly 200+gb a month from various sources. not torrents though

Im not against traffic shaping, its a very useful tool but its all down to how the individual isp use it.

ppp, you're probably not being shaped yet.

Nildram were shaping everything, including HTTP the other week. Laughable really. Lots and lots of customers migrated out, and then in a fit of 'listening to its customers' it decided to stop traffic shaping for now.

I say shape the heavy downloaders, fine. But do it for proper network management reasons and only when its needed when such downloading is restricting other users on the network, not as a way to basically sell a substandard product and squeeze 100 users onto a pipe designed for 50.

Sorry to hear that... will this be the start of you launching full time into event photography?

I'm on Telewest 10mbit, I've noticed either traffic shaping or contention issues on telewest the last week, usenet traffic comes down at a full 1.1mb/sec until about 6pm and then slows to 333kb/sec until later on in the evening.

If I had to have ADSL I'd go for pipex simply because they have the Hoff, sorry Ian ;)

Back