weekly NullMind "52 for 2015" Challenge Thread - Week 3 'Scenic' posted

And here is my first submission: Week 1 - Bliss

Bliss
by Carlos 'NullMind&' Rego, on Flickr

While marriage is Bliss, noting was more blissful to me than the sheer happiness on my fiancé's face as she spent literally hours just laying down looking at these wedding bands when they arrived, it took us close to 6 months to receive them as it was custom made.

Hello and welcome to the challenge, that's a nice shot to start off with, I look forward to seeing more from you in the coming weeks.

Welcome to the mad house!

Good take on the theme. Definitely sounds like a blissful scenario in all senses of it. Colour balance is good, nice focus on the detail. Good stuff!

Wonderful rings there. Lovely detail. Good overall lighting, being picky the top RH corner looks a little darker than the rest. Well composed, might suit a slight crop.

Cheers.

Hi Carlos & welcome aboard :wave:

great start to your challenge ,like the lighting & the placement , the slight shadow to ground them & the texture in the material which makes a change from plain bases (y)

Crit wise....slightly too central for me ....a smidge darker as Andy mentioned top rh corner

Hi Carlos & welcome aboard :wave:

great start to your challenge ,like the lighting & the placement , the slight shadow to ground them & the texture in the material which makes a change from plain bases (y)

Crit wise....slightly too central for me ....a smidge darker as Andy mentioned top rh corner

Thanks, looking back I could have taken better advantage of the shadow by moving the rings to the left :)

Hi Carlos - nice job! And a very lovely story to go with a good image.

Two tiny bits of crit from me, which are just mentioned as suggestions: (1) the twin shadow to the left and to the right looks a touch unnatural (I say this as someone who's been guilt of doing this in the past!)... the way around this is to use fill light which is on-axis, rather than from a competing direction; and (2) the highlight in the middle of the vertical ring is a touch too blown for me... I'd find a way of using a softer key light, perhaps by bouncing your key light off the wall or even off a large white card into the softbox instead?

Week 2 - Fragile

When thinking about it, the most fragile thing I can think of is our heart, easy to break, and hard to mend

When I set to take this shot I realised how unprepared I am with lighting equipment for my A7R (well, I got nothing), and all I have left for my Canon is a single flash, while I prefer to work with available light, I did bounce that single flash for this one, not 100% happy but the image is what I had in mind.

Room for improvement, maybe week 3 :)

Fragile
by Carlos 'NullMind' Rego, on Flickr

Bliss - a lovely Image plenty of detail in the rings good work.

Fragile - a simple take for the theme, and I like your thinking behind the image.

Thanks

I am trying to use this challenge as an opportunity to 'force' myself to take more pictures :)

Hi Carlos,

That's a wonderful shot for bliss - well on theme and nicely composed.

Fragile - good fit to the theme and nice to hear your thinking behind it

Interesting interpretation Carlos.
I like it, it's simple but descriptive :)

Bliss - Nice rings shot. Lots of potentially shiny surfaces so you've done well with the lighting. I like the shallow DOF shown up in the material used of the surface.

Fragile - Nice idea and a well handled red without over saturating it. Well done also to Mrs NullMind

Hi Carlos... very intriguing idea for fragile and some good strong colours - as Peter says, without pumping them up too high.

I'm not completely convinced by the lighting/DOF choice... I might prefer even shallower DOF and/or more dramatic lighting. But I realise the limitations you were working within with your setup... so you've done well to get a good shot.

Unfortunately the weather has been a bit dull here in London for these past few weeks, so I have not been able to get (despite trying on two occasions/outings) to get a good photo for Week 3: Scenic

So I am going to bend the rules that are a bit flexible and share one of my old favourite photos

Week 3: Scenic

This photo was taken with a very unlikely camera, the Sanyo HD2000, it's a Video Camera but with OK photo capabilities (especially for 2010 or so when I bought it), it was taken on the island of Sao Miguel, in the Azores, back in 2011, my daughters were just sitting by a field, enjoying the view and I got this shot, it's not a technically awesome photo, but it's one that from a personal viewpoint I love, hope you enjoy it.

What a view by Carlos 'NullMind' Rego, on Flickr

Back