Numpty of the week - have I lost my photos?

S

stepheno

I've been out this afternoon to take a few shots of my lads playing football. When I got home I opened the card door and :annoyed: doh! no card. Have I totally lost these or are they still in the buffer and if so how do I access them.

regards

ps - it's a 20D

Been there, done that, hard lesson learned. Do what IanC tells you m8.

Thanks Ian, Steep - thats sure one way of learning. I'll change the setting immediately - fortunately I can take some more next Saturday. I'm just glad it wasn't someone's birthday or something more important.

regards

If its any consolation mate I have done the same in the past... :nut:

Fortunately the shots I lost were un-important.. :whistling

As quoted by IanC get into the custom functions and turn the darn thing off. ;)

RE: Turning that custom function off. That's the very first thing I did on my camera when I got it. Heard too many tales of others doing it, and upgrading from my G3 I was used to seeing a warning :)

I've done it with film a few times.......that horrible feeling when you go to wind the film back & it goes loose immediately ;)

Stepheno the buffer on the 20D or any other camera for that matter is just a area where the data is held temporarily until it has been transferred to the CF card. It is not meant to hold data for any amount of time and in fact is fairly limited as to its capacity. If your buffer fills when you are shooting multiple shots (in burst mode) then the camera will prevent you from taking any further shots until some data has been written to your card. In modern cameras we see less and less of this as the speeds of data transfer increases however in this case none of this will be of any comfort to you as there was no card in your camera.

As the others has already said, unfortunately all your photos from today are gone forever, its not a nice feeling but it’s a thing that many have done before you, and many will still fall victim off. I, like the others highly recommend changing the setting to prevent the camera shooting without a card being present; it won’t help you now but will stop the same thing happening in the future.

Steve said:
It is not meant to hold data for any amount of time
I was sure that was the case - but i thought someone may know something I didn't. Thanks for the commiserations guys.

regards

No worries mate.

Please let us know when you've come to terms with it so we can point and laugh :D
(It's par for the course I'm afraid). :)

stepheno said:
When I got home I opened the card door and :annoyed: doh! no card.

You must be gutted mate, I havn't actually done this myself... but you can be sure as soon as I press "submit reply" I'll be checking the settings on my camera.

Marcel - laugh away...my skins as thick as my brain :D Sonsey - this wasn't so bad, not like shooting a whole holiday without a card.

regards

It's the default setting on the Nikons, just as well with some of the dimmos we train...
bad enough trying to get them to check the aperture ring is locked.

ERR......

I think it should be the default setting on all cameras but I guess the Saturday staff in the local Jessops will be returning all the stock as "faulty". You would think that the least it would do is indicate on one of the displays that "No Card" is present even if allowing the camera to function.

Back