Nurburgring

T

trackman

I had the chance of getting over to the Nurburgring last weekend and finally got the chance to take a few shots with my new camera :clap:

220.jpg

472.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

66.jpg

great shots - particularly the bike & sidecar, and the mini (love the looks of the driver & passenger, unable to contain grins) :D

But how do you get a sense of speed in a shot where the car/bike is head-on?

First shot is a bit soft and dark, exposure is great on the 2nd. But I like the last two shots - they make the fact that it was Nurburgring quite clear!

I like the last one - the Beemer with it's light's on - shame your shutter didn't release 1/2 a second later to get the whole car in the shot though. Nonetheless a nicely composed shot (y)

I find 3/4 shots work ok with panning, such as this one:

DSC_3076-01a.jpg

If you go any more head on than that, then you really need to be shooting on a corner or anywhere where you can get a some suspension movement.

Otherwise, the car may as well be standing still and the whole impact on the shot is lost.

Very tricky though :shrug:

I did try some of you methods that i spotted on another post but i just couldn’t seem to get them to work on side angle shots:shake:

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

I did try some of you methods that i spotted on another post but i just couldn’t seem to get them to work on side angle shots:shake:

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Its very tough, and my hit rate is embarrassingly low! Normally half the car is sharp, with the other not sharp at all. However, this I dont think is a particularly bad thing - I often see shots in magazines such as CAR (which has some of the best photography in the world) that are like this.

Settings for the shot above were 1/60th (yes, incredibly slow!), f25, 420mm and iso 200.

i've looked at that 2nd photo over and over again and i cant work out what the point in that vehicle is! proper racing sidecars are one thing, but that thing is just pointless.
such a high centre of gravity on one side with fat grippy tyres on?? thats gotta be asking for trouble

That was the best i could get after a few shots :bang:

519.jpg

Thanks for the advice i will give that a go.

the BMW is the best one, the rest need some sharpening I think, was it your first time usind a DSLR?

as said, it'd difficult to get a sense of speed with pure head on shots so you need to look to something else like a bit of lean or opposite lock.

shots like Joe T has posted are easier to get a sense of speed as they are 3/4 pans, head on is a different ball game.

That was the best i could get after a few shots :bang:

I hope you don't mind but I've had a play in Photoshop to show how you can turn a static shot into something with a greater sense of speed

519%20copy.jpg

never been myself, but i would like to sometime

Great shots - would really love to go there, don't think my Rover would set any speed records round there though :p

I hope you don't mind, but I have never used Photoshop to create speed blur etc, and have followed Grendal's thinking, and just had a play:
blurplayingns3.jpg

Much easier than I thought, and I think gives a pretty believable result (apart from the wheels)

Great set of shots! Hope you go back sometime so we get to see more ;)

Edit: lol, didnt realise quite how much like Grendal's it looked until I saw it side by side :( ah well - gave me my photoshop fix for the night :D

:D great minds think alike Jimmy (y)

Makes me want to go back, only had time/funds for two trips this year :(

the BMW is the best one, the rest need some sharpening I think, was it your first time usind a DSLR?

as said, it'd difficult to get a sense of speed with pure head on shots so you need to look to something else like a bit of lean or opposite lock.

shots like Joe T has posted are easier to get a sense of speed as they are 3/4 pans, head on is a different ball game.

This is not my first DSLR but the first time i have really done shots like this.

Good job on Photoshop btw :)

Had another go today, thanks for the tips guys it looks like things are coming together.

DSC_0043.jpg

Now that IS good!

really like that last bike, nice one :)

Back