Nutty

Fanatsic capture Very Crisp And Sharp Very Well Done

Kirk

Nice one - great pose.

One of my favourite wee birds. You have shot it at F4 and the focus has nailed it on the wing/rear leg, the head is slightly OOF.Just my opinion, none intended.

Crisp & sharp!! (y)
Here

That's a nice shot John (y)

Goes.

nice shot John

I`m

Fanatsic capture Very Crisp And Sharp Very Well Done

Kirk

Gonna

Nice one - great pose.
get a right

Nice capture

Kicking for this:

But will please people be honest and state the truth. Yes the bird is a mighty fine bird and I have a real affection for Nuthatches,But the focal point is on the rear wing and leg.I am somewhat baffled by the comments quoted?

Johns images are getting better weekly, no argument.Some of your recent shots are pretty damned good. This one isn`t and there is no point me,nor anyone else saying it is great.You would not learn form that.

I learnt more from people being honest about my photography.....Cedric,for example.....(y)..........Than people saying "Nice shot".

I do apologise if that is harsh and sounds a bit nasty. That is not my intent. But if people are not honest then one shall never improve.I include myself in that.

I learnt more from people being honest about my photography.....Cedric,for example.....(y)..........Than people saying "Nice shot".

Oi! don't drag me into this - take the kicking on yer own. :D

Oi! don't drag me into this - take the kicking on yer own. :D

Thanks a bleeding bunch "mate"..........:bang:.......:D

Seriously,I learnt more from honest opinion and critique than I ever learnt form "nice shot"....period.

Here

Goes.

I`m

Gonna

get a right

Kicking for this:

But will please people be honest and state the truth. Yes the bird is a mighty fine bird and I have a real affection for Nuthatches,But the focal point is on the rear wing and leg.I am somewhat baffled by the comments quoted?

Johns images are getting better weekly, no argument.Some of your recent shots are pretty damned good. This one isn`t and there is no point me,nor anyone else saying it is great.You would not learn form that.

I do apologise if that is harsh and sounds a bit nasty. That is not my intent. But if people are not honest then one shall never improve.I include myself in that.

:plus1: In a Nuthatch. Doh!! Nutshell Ade you got it right, and this has been discussed before. Im no expert but I feel that if you want to help people improve their images or even people that you know are good but post one up that has slipped through the net so to speak, then you have to speak as you find. On the other side of the coin while we are on the subject of crit, I for example have made comments in the past and been knocked down in flames :D I would like to think though that no matter if we are giving crit or taking crit, that we are all old enough and friendly enough not to take any offence.Below ironically enough is a shot I posted up not long after joining TP, over the moon I was with this shot :LOL: Now I look at it and :puke: but I keep it as a gentle reminder.

IMG_6630704x900.jpg

Nice shot.............;)

LOL. You're quite right of course Frac.

I've met John (jc55) he's a nice guy and I know how much he enjoys his bird photography. He's showing big signs of improvement of late, but he's just missed the focus on what is otherwise an excellent Nutty shot.

I don't know whether people don't like giving honest constructive crit or they just genuinely don't see the problems with the image, but when a good few posters have already responded positively I take the easy option these days and I just don't post. :D

It is easy to be overly critical, if that is what is wanted. I suspect that many are of various ability, and criticism over small imperfections could be discouraging to them, perhaps prevetnting them from participating in the forum. If you knew the imperfection was there already, why do you need it pointed out. I thought the head looked a little soft but overall the image pleased me. There is of course always the opportunity to open up the discussion, as here if you want to take it further.

Ken, I do agree with some of your points. But after a few "talks" with the op over some time, He is keen to improve and does want to learn,as I was when I first came on here and still am now.Johns images are improving in leaps and bounds,no argument, but this image has missed the primary focal point.So, to me, I would rather say so and that he can see that and next time he nails the bugger,than say "super sharp,nice image".

I take the easy option these days and I just don't post. :D

And the forum is poorer for that Cedric, but I understand what you say and appreciate where you are coming from..........but thanks for telling me where I was failing and please continue to do so,me skin is thick,innit........:D

better to say if its a crap shot IMHO 20x Nice shot is no good if the shots pants
I know we are all guilty of similar i have been in the past

but i learn far more from my rubbish shots than the good ones, Frac for one has helped me plenty cos he'll gladly tell me if i've posted a load of tripe

Looking at the shot i've got to agree with Frac, the focus is on the tail. got to agree though you are deffo improving John, haven't posted much in birds or nature forum recently (well apart from the odd exception :naughty:) but i've seen an improvement

It is easy to be overly critical, if that is what is wanted. I suspect that many are of various ability, and criticism over small imperfections could be discouraging to them, perhaps prevetnting them from participating in the forum. If you knew the imperfection was there already, why do you need it pointed out. I thought the head looked a little soft but overall the image pleased me. There is of course always the opportunity to open up the discussion, as here if you want to take it further.

Well Ken - John did ask for crit in his original post. The thing with TPF is that from the very outset we've alwayd tried to avoid being the sort of site where people routinely post 'Great shot' type responses to virtually every image.

We've tried to be about having fun while taking our photography pretty seriously. There are plenty of photographic sites where you get people raving about anything you post - flickr being one of the worst examples.

Anyone coming to photography as a newbie gets hit with a double whammy today - a DSLR which is one of the most complicated devices you can buy and often not realising that they also have to get to grips with digital processing. All in all it's a bit of a hill to climb and properly constructed help and criticism is a big help along the way as long as it's given and received in the right spirit. There's no place for destructive criticism and it shouldn't be tolerated.

We should all be a bit choosy about we post and not resent criticism when we fall short - anything else is the road to mediocrity.

Well Ken - John did ask for crit in his original post. The thing with TPF is that from the very outset we've alwayd tried to avoid being the sort of site where people routinely post 'Great shot' type responses to virtually every image.

We've tried to be about having fun while taking our photography pretty seriously. There are plenty of photographic sites where you get people raving about anything you post - flickr being one of the worst examples.

Anyone coming to photography as a newbie gets hit with a double whammy today - a DSLR which is one of the most complicated devices you can buy and often not realising that they also have to get to grips with digital processing. All in all it's a bit of a hill to climb and properly constructed help and criticism is a big help along the way as long as it's given and received in the right spirit. There's no place for destructive criticism and it shouldn't be tolerated.

We should all be a bit choosy about we post and not resent criticism when we fall short - anything else is the road to mediocrity.

Well said CT :agree:

I'm guilty of "nice shot" comments myself, but if I see anything that looks a little oof or not right I tend to not comment. I don't feel experienced or qualified to give very accurate or in depth C&C but I do know what I like hence the nice shot comments :) TBH I did think that the OP has missed focus on the eye in this one but I do like the pose and would have had a go at maybe Photoshopping some catch lights into the eye. :cheat: I'm sure it could be rescued.

Some of us do still like to contribute to the forum but maybe don't have the same level of experience as some of you guys so don't be too judgemental :)

I agree that the OP has just missed the focus on the eye, but it is alovely image of the bird and worth a little work in photoshop that could bring out a lot of the detail lost in the posted image. I have done a very quick edit, please remove if not wanted. The one thing that I would like to see, if this is a crop, would be more canvas on the left so that the bird is not looking out of the frame.

nh.jpg

I agree that the OP has just missed the focus on the eye, but it is alovely image of the bird and worth a little work in photoshop that could bring out a lot of the detail lost in the posted image. I have done a very quick edit, please remove if not wanted. The one thing that I would like to see, if this is a crop, would be more canvas on the left so that the bird is not looking out of the frame.

nh.jpg

You have oversharpened that one M8 :D

John (CGeezer) mentioned my exact feelings, I also felt I did not have the experience to comment on other peoples work. Then I watched as a lot of posts were dissapearing with hardly any comments at all, that got me to think, I wonder what the OP makes of it all :shrug: especially if they are new to this site, so even with my little experience I jumped in with both feet. :( Ken mentions that if the OP knew that the imperfection was there already, why do they need it pointed out. Sorry Ken but my Balls aint made of crystal glass :) Imo the OP should point it out in their post to begin with if thats the case, that would save any unwanted crit if that is their aim of posting :shrug:

One thing I have noticed on this forum in particular, is that people have replied back with constructive advice and suggestions, and then the OP fails to acknowledge it and respond back, and seem happy to let their thread dissapear. This again probably makes people wonder why they should bother to reply to a post :shrug: When I look at someones picture I try to evaluate such things as the conditions they were shooting under, how experienced that person is and what kind of equipment they are using in the first place, that all goes towards making a judgement of the comment I make.
Still there has been some valid points raised here by all and maybe we can all learn something from it ;) Well thats my rant over :LOL:

Last edited:
Well Frac as made a fair point and I am sometimes guilty of nice shot but when I have given any friendly crit before someone always seems to knock you down and punish you for it usually by quoting"well I think its a great shot nothing wrong with it" and I wouldn t give crit if there was truly something wrong but it leaves you feeling awful when people say that so I feel with some members you can give crit they would rather you do that but you will always get someone thinking who the hell is she to tell me so that is the trouble on here.But I do belive if you are happy with your image you can stand for that image and give an opinion back.I am a friend of John's and I agree he is improving all the time

Well Frac as made a fair point and I am sometimes guilty of nice shot but when I have given any friendly crit before someone always seems to knock you down and punish you for it usually by quoting"well I think its a great shot nothing wrong with it" and I wouldn t give crit if there was truly something wrong but it leaves you feeling awful when people say that
That's exactly the problem with some people not seeming to appreciate that the comments are well intentioned. This shot of John's is in fact a nice shot and he's caught a good pose - he's just missed focus by the tiniest amount, so it's not one of the worse examples Frac could have quoted.

We're all guilty of 'nice shot' comments sometimes when there's not really much more to be said, but perhaps we should spend a little time to say why we think it's a good shot.

Some good comments here, though as a newcomer, how does one know what experience a poster has, or in some cases what equipment has been used. Provided comment is given in a friendly manner and received as such, it should all remain amicable, including me for saying "nice shot" even if it was a bit soft. ;)

for the reason kaz has mentioned is why i hardly ever comment on posts, some of you may think that im a bit ignorant but when you see a shot thats not up to much and then a big list of comments saying great shot, nice one and excellent. its hard to comment and give honest crit without offending the op and the people that have come out with the great shot comments you cant win so i just sit back and take it all in :shrug:

That's exactly the problem with some people not seeming to appreciate that the comments are well intentioned. This shot of John's is in fact a nice shot and he's caught a good pose - he's just missed focus by the tiniest amount, so it's not one of the worse examples Frac could have quoted.

We're all guilty of 'nice shot' comments sometimes when there's not really much more to be said, but perhaps we should spend a little time to say why we think it's a good shot.

Thats why I put nice shot for this one CT because it was a minor problem but I am genuinely afraid to give out much crit because of fear of people thinking who does she think she is and it is only meant to be friendly and helpful. I don t claim to know everything but I maybe could be helpful in some other way but as its been said feel some may not like the crit and as you said we should spend more time saying why we like the shot.Like frac said members like yourself and I should mention Dreamer(Lea) have been a great help to me when I first came on here with friendly crit and helped me improve a lot so thats how everyone should see the crit no one intends to be nasty we should help each other

Thats why I put nice shot for this one CT because it was a minor problem but I am genuinely afraid to give out much crit because of fear of people thinking who does she think she is......

The standard of your work speaks for itself these days gal. ;)

The standard of your work speaks for itself these days gal. ;)

Thanks for that CT much appreciated but like I said you helped me a lot on here and I learned a lot with you telling me in a nice way and thats how we all should be it is only meant well and by the way Paul still blames you for his empty pockets he still talks about that dreaded new years day:LOL:

hi ya john, this is one of your better shots to date just a shame the focus is not on the eye, like others have mentioned. i had a little play in cs with a plug in called focus magic, which allows you to sharpen the way the blur is going.its ok for stuff thats not too far gone but thats about it.

IMG_3865-11johnsnutty.jpg

hi ya john, this is one of your better shots to date just a shame the focus is not on the eye, like others have mentioned. i had a little play in cs with a plug in called focus magic, which allows you to sharpen the way the blur is going.its ok for stuff thats not too far gone but thats about it.

Good edit!

Thats Nice!! lea :puke:

I have no problem with c&c ,in fact it is welcome as it makes me sit back and think,"yes he/she" is right,the nutty landed 3ft away,nearly dropped camera:LOL:,excitement overtook brain.Please carry on ,ive never had so many replies to a photo:D:D,thanks to you all.
ps ive made a lot of friends on here(y)

John has been improving over some time, and I remember when he was about to give in, so when I see definite improvements I'm going to encourage as much as possible.

Back