Beginner Nwe backdrop an home made sofa

Name
tracey
Edit My Images
Yes
I got a new backdrop today and made a mini sofa for my photo shoots. Any ideas on anything I can add or take away to make a good photo when I'm shooting a friends children next week ? Any advice welcome. 2016-08-05 18.34.41.jpg 20160805_183037.jpg

Sorry should of said that these photos were just taken fron my phone.

Disclaimer: I've never used a backdrop which portrays a scene. I may not know what I'm talking about. And it's difficult to comment until we see some of what you make using the set, but here's my t'pth:
  • The sofa is very cute
  • Remember to get the creases out of the backdrop.. iron, steamer or spray with a plant mister and let it hang for a bit.
  • Perhaps hang real voile fabric over the fake curtains? You can get away with the flowers being fake as they are obviously meant to look like wallpaper or something but the curtains look wrong IMO, and real fabric will add a heap of texture & depth. Compare the real curtains in the second shot with the painted ones and you might see what I mean.
  • Not sure how you'd integrate the dark cushions and side table into the scene. They're very strong, both in contrast and shape, and might need lighting to match. Perhaps lose the table and get paler cushions?

I think you built up a very nice little set there, Tracy, I love it!

— don't forget to shoot more open the further away you are so to
keep the BG OoF… and you may close when nearer to your subject.

— try to avoid splashing light everywhere… think more directional,
atmospheric when shooting wide and more diffused when shooting
close ups.

— I would suggest you lower the rosy BG so the head(s) will not be in an
empty space

— the table is a neat idea… foresee some kind of decorations: lit candle,
an old telephone… anything playful but be careful with the colour and
size choices as these should not come in conflict with your subject for
the viewer's attention.

Have a good time!!

Back