Beginner Nyc

Name
Karen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. I’m very new to these forum chats. In fact this is my first ever one I’ve posted so I hope I’m not doing it all wrong. The thing is I need as much advice from people as I can get. I’m off to the big Apple for my honeymoon in December and obviously I’m taking my camera. I am only a beginner really in photography. I have a Nikon d3200 and a few basic lenses (18-55/55-200/70-300/50mm) but I don’t think any will be suitable for taking cityscape/skyline photos?? What would be a good overall lens to take with me as I don’t really want to be carrying lots of different ones around with me.
Thanks in advance
Karen (beginner

Your 18-55 should be fine for skyline pics. That would be your basic walkabout lens at this stage. I would suggest taking one of your telephoto zooms as well, whichever you prefer

Hi Karen and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure there will be plenty of experienced forum members along soon to help more than I can but imo the 18-55 would suit you well for city shots. Nicely wide so you can get in amongst the tight streets etc and get some lovely angled shots. Should be great fun

Your 18-55 should be fine for skyline pics. That would be your basic walkabout lens at this stage. I would suggest taking one of your telephoto zooms as well, whichever you prefer

Must have been typing at the same time ;)

Leave the camera at home.
No chance. Lol. I know it’s my honeymoon but it was originally for my 40th(we get married the day before my bday) so I was always going to take my camera. Would not miss this opportunity as I may never get it again.

Thanks. Two wouldn’t be too much weight I suppose.

Hi Karen and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure there will be plenty of experienced forum members along soon to help more than I can but imo the 18-55 would suit you well for city shots. Nicely wide so you can get in amongst the tight streets etc and get some lovely angled shots. Should be great fun
Thanks. I hope to have lots of fun. Never really done a city holiday so be a first.

Thanks. Two wouldn’t be too much weight I suppose.

Believe me, if you plan to get serious about photography, this is the bare minimum weight you can expect to carry.

I travel a lot and started off same as you, but with a real camera (Canon :D). The weight on my back increased over the years as the lenses got heavier and it is about to get worse! I never go anywhere without my camera and the backache is worth it.

It is used to be an 18-55 and 55-250. Lightest combination to cover all your requirements

I went round for three days with a 24-70. Make sure you do the Rockefeller building, flatiron building and Brooklyn Bridge. Allow plenty of time for Brooklyn Bridge as it’s well out of town and it’s huge! Grand central Station is very nice, but very yellow. Watch the WB :) if you don’t want to get a 24-70, i would walk about with your55-200 fitted and your 18-55 in your pocket :)

You will have a brilliant time.

Last edited:
I went there on my honeymoon two years ago and it is an incredible city, we ended up spending 3 days leaving the hotel at about 8am and only getting back at 12.30 at night, there is so much to see and do that 3 nights just wasn’t enough. Of your current kit the 18-55 will do you proud for most things and take a zoom for detail shots. Research what you want to see before you go, it’s so big as a city and there is so much to see all over the place that you really have to plan your time there. The subway is safe and very good for getting around and if you get a cab and find a monopod give me a shout [emoji23]

I would pack the 50mm as well so you can take it out in the evening - there's a lot to see after dark. If you want to shoot cityscapes and skylines, the top of the Rockefeller building is a superb vantage point, especially if you get up there before sunset and stay until the lights come on (when the fast 50 will be especially useful).

Last edited:
Might I suggest you only take the 18-55. I can think of few occasions where you'd want to use the 55-200. Long days lugging unnecessary weight around are a real PITA. Enjoy the experience and don't burden yourself with having to worry about which lens might be better. Save that for your second visit! (By which time you might even want to consider something even wider.)

Assuming your 18-55 has VR, you'll be okay for nightime shots in well-lit areas (Times Sq., etc.). If not, consider the superb Nikkor 35mm f1.8 DX lens.

I'd agree with the above, I would guess the 55-200 or 70-300 would just be dead weight in your bag for a first trip to NYC. Maybe grab the 50mm in the evening.

As for NYC itself, I'd recommend a walk along The High Line, an old elevated railway line that is now a park and surrounded by loads of new glass skyscrapers. It' always one of my highlights.

As previously mentioned, try to visit the High Line.
With so much to see in NY, it's most often overlooked. Much of it is maintained by local communities, and it's delightful.

Wowzers. I never expected many replies but you guys have all been so helpful. Seriously excited about this. Maybe I will post a couple of pics if I get any half decent ones when I get back. Thanks so much.

I went there on my honeymoon two years ago and it is an incredible city, we ended up spending 3 days leaving the hotel at about 8am and only getting back at 12.30 at night, there is so much to see and do that 3 nights just wasn’t enough. Of your current kit the 18-55 will do you proud for most things and take a zoom for detail shots. Research what you want to see before you go, it’s so big as a city and there is so much to see all over the place that you really have to plan your time there. The subway is safe and very good for getting around and if you get a cab and find a monopod give me a shout [emoji23]
We are there for a week. So packing in as much as we can possibly do.

Believe me, if you plan to get serious about photography, this is the bare minimum weight you can expect to carry.

I travel a lot and started off same as you, but with a real camera (Canon :D). The weight on my back increased over the years as the lenses got heavier and it is about to get worse! I never go anywhere without my camera and the backache is worth it.
Usually I just take my whole set of lenses but I don’t really want to be doing that around nyc for a whole week. Lol.

I took some time — when I was living there — to realise how much of a
neck breaker NYC can be. I'm not thinking of subjects visible at street
level but the awesome Art Déco and other style ornaments everywhere
on building façades… sometimes waaaay high up there.

Clearly, the architects from the days though that people living and /or
working in new heights (for the time) should see something more than
straight lines and angles climbing high or diving low to the streets. So
gargoyles and other inhabitants or decorative features of these vertical
constructions turned out to exert a fascination on me… so much to see.

What started as a 28mm to 200mm primes ended up a set that was well
extended at both ends.

It is really 3D city. :cool:

if you are worried about weight i definitely suggest a wide lens and a zoom lens is handy for details, don't worry about a tripod as there is normally things you can prop the camera up on for long exposures etc. Filters are only really of use if you want some skyline shots but after that can be left at the hotel. I had borrowed a fisheye from a friend and while i didn't use it much i did need it for grand central's ceiling and inside the new york library as my normal wide angle wasn't wide enough

Hi Karen, welcome!

18mm will be plenty for cityscapes, especially if you plan on going up Rockerfella or One World Trade.

I would say 18-55 and your either 55-200 or 70-300 to get some details.

This was at 38mm up One World Trade

And again this was shot at 18mm

So you'll have plenty of range!

I would 100% recommend the Top of the Rock, I've never seen a view like it in my entire life, it helped it was at sunset too!

Also, maybe just take a Gorillapod with you so you can wrap it around railings or whatever instead of a tripod, the last thing you want to be doing is lugging that around, especially in such a busy city like NYC.

Have a great honeymoon!

Last edited:
Went to NY a year ago this weekend for the wifes 40th. I took my D750 with 20mm, 50mm and 85mm primes. Would very roughly translate to a 14mm, 35mm and a 58mm on a crop sensor. I also took my Fuji X100T which is a 35mm (23mm but crop).

The 50mm was probably the least used lens. The 85mm was useful for when I wanted to be closer (getting some pics of buildings in isolation, as well as on the boat to Statue of Liberty). 20mm was on a lot to capture the wide angles and 'see NY' and the Fuji was a very versatile camera for everyday stuff. I guess the 20mm was my most used length (close with the Fuji 35) with the 85 next.

The 18-55 is a definite, and I would take the 50mm too. That would be useful especially in lower light situations in December. I cant say I missed taking my 70-200. May have been useful for some shots but did without it. If you are looking to really get into photography I would suggest looking at upgrading the kit lens. Its ok, but £150 ish should get you a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 which is a much better lens. I actually bought the 20mm just for that trip, sold it on return and 'lost' around £15 on it so you could always buy and then sell for similar money (used).

Highline is worth visiting, Chelsea Market too (Los Tacos there is one of the best places I have eaten was in the Top 10 Trip Advisor for NY, cheap too). Loved Grand Central Station (no need for a tripod IMO but I did take a mini manfrotto one - around 8" long. Statue of Liberty is a must, if you want to climb to the top of the statue to look through the crown you need to book up as early as possible (6 months?) as it sells out quickly. Not great for pics but to say you did it! Top of the Rock is a must, get the ticket for the day and evening as its a great view both times. Brooklyn Bridge is a must too.

We’re in NYC now, the widest lens I have is an MZuiko 20-40 f2.8 which I have found limiting for decent cityscapes. Fortunately our daughters apartment has a large balcony to view the city from so I had to force myself to go to B&H to buy a travel tripod for some longer exposure night shots :D
The total range of lenses I’ve used this trip has been 20mm up to 420mm but that’s because my main interest is wildlife. You’ll have a great time here I’m sure.

b&h was closed when i went, i was gutted as i had grand plans to buy a few bits and ended up having to get them when we got to florida from some little camera shop instead (we did 3 nights in NY and then 11 nights in orlando) that didn't have anything like the range that the big stores have.

Id leave all the other lenses at home and just take the 50. I do that with most city trips, less to worry about, less to carry, you only have one focal length and over the course of the trip you will start seeing things to shoot at this length, not having a zoom might be a little restrictive but the advantages will outweigh the negatives. If you want to shoot anything wider you could always do a vertical pano and stitch them later when you get home.

One camera and a light lens that will be your best option for low light.

I can see the attraction of a single focal length (I've gone to NYC with just an X100T), but I think a 50 on DX would be a bit too restrictive on its own.

Id leave all the other lenses at home and just take the 50. I do that with most city trips, less to worry about, less to carry, you only have one focal length and over the course of the trip you will start seeing things to shoot at this length, not having a zoom might be a little restrictive but the advantages will outweigh the negatives. If you want to shoot anything wider you could always do a vertical pano and stitch them later when you get home.

One camera and a light lens that will be your best option for low light.

Not going to work in a number of situations, like getting a wide shot within Grand Central, the view of the Iron Building from the crossing, inside Chelsea market, many street views... if you were talking 35mm FF equiv you could have a point but on this camera the 50mm is 75mm, far too long for this.

Ah - yeah, maybe on a crop camera. Good excuse to buy the amazing Nikon 35mm 1.8G :)

Back