O2 Data is currently down

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
There are a lot of unhappy O2, GiffGaff, Tesco Mobile and Sky Mobile customers this morning.
I see people are having meltdowns on social media already.
Amazing how much we rely on mobile data and just take it for granted!

02 are complete crappo not sure why they are still going

Still nothing here in Cheshire. I'm on WiFi at work so it doesn't affect me too much

As a CarPlay user I often use my data when out and about for Apple Maps or Google Maps. Other than that when not at home I often turn my WiFi off because data speeds tend to be faster (and more secure) than public WiFi networks.

As a CarPlay user I often use my data when out and about for Apple Maps or Google Maps. Other than that when not at home I often turn my WiFi off because data speeds tend to be faster (and more secure) than public WiFi networks.

I take it you have a generous data plan. I tend to use the inbuilt nav in my car, despite google maps being superior. I use google maps only on foot out of the car.

I take it you have a generous data plan. I tend to use the inbuilt nav in my car, despite google maps being superior. I use google maps only on foot out of the car.

I use google maps through Android Auto all the time in my car, as it lets me know where the traffic is on my commute to and from work. It barely uses any data at all, total data usage for Google Maps since the 18th November on my phone is 139Mb. That's using Android Auto with the map view on for at least 90 minutes a day every weekday.

Apparently the outage has been caused by a third party supplier software issue. It’s caused outages across the globe, though only Telefónica has been affected in the U.K.

I'm on O2 but zero mobile coverage where I live so hadn't noticed. Been trying for years to get it sorted (we have a dead zone in the middle of a pretty big residential development so loads of homes without), means we can't have a smart meter and online banking is starting to become a hassle as any automated calls/texts just don't come through when at home.

In terms of Satnav, I use Waze and the data usage really is negligible, I only have 1GB monthly allowance and it doesn't trouble that in the slightest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wd
SatNav wise I use 'Here we go', which was recommended on here ... you can use it offline so no data penalty, just uses GPS.

02 are complete crappo not sure why they are still going
That's not my experience with them for mobile, landlines are a different matter, but hey ho yours may be different.

Both my experience of O2 and Tesco Mobile has been exceptional - until today. These things happen. It's a blip in the radar.
And mine been a giffgaff customer for years, first issue I have ever had.

Indeed, GiffGaff had no mobile data either because they use O2 as carrier; so I had no data service on the train this morning and had to wait for the wifi at work. But so what, no biggie.

Always found O2 to be very good, unlike the previous mobile network supplier I was with. Been with O2 for years now and always had excellent customer service from them. (y)

Google maps don't seem to use much data, unless you're doing a lot of long drives. If you route-plan when connected to WiFi Google maps can store the data for use offline, just picking up traffic data while you travel.

Daresay everyone will survive this minor inconvenience

Not sure how I’m going to cope, I hope they reimburse me for the day worth of usage that I don’t seem to be receiving. With the proceeds I hope to cover the cost of a Mars bar

Not sure how I’m going to cope, I hope they reimburse me for the day worth of usage that I don’t seem to be receiving. With the proceeds I hope to cover the cost of a Mars bar
Have you seen the price of Mars bars these days! ;)

I've been with Three for years now using their dongles and had no problems till the one I was using crapped out after about 8 years of use.

It was replace by a 4G MiFi connected to my Ethernet and everything works great here (Corby) - had no probs since installing it.

Great thing is no wires coming into the house so very easy to position exactly where I want it.

Capped at 40GB a month but often barely use 1/2 of that.

It was EE / BT et al yesterday, who's next I wonder ;)

Reckon it's the Chinese mob who are getting a knock back all over dishing out some electronic grief.

Hard to believe, but before sat nav and Google maps we did manage to navigate OK
Really? You ever ask directions or admit you went wrong :) I used to get my Mrs to navigate, she was pretty good, apart from sometimes holding the map upside down so she could work out where we were going.

It always makes me smile when I leave the house and get into the car and realise I haven't got my mobile phone with me, and think: "What if the car breaks down?" Then I laugh to myself and remember how many hundreds of thousands of miles I drove without the aid of a mobile phone or sat-nav in the 80s and early 90s! And it used to snow quite a bit in the winter in those days too. Mind you, we did have CB radio for a bit in the early 80s if we needed to communicate with mission control! :LOL:

Last edited:
Is there any significance that "Outage" is only one letter short of "Outrage"?

Back