OCA The Art of Photography Course Discussion Including Assignments and Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if the distance learning course is supplied by a credited and eligible school/college, you should qualify for grants/loans. Most community colleges offer distance learning courses anyway, and as long as you are working towards a degree i think you should be fine.

The OCA is associated with the Bucks New University and issue their certificates and dgrees via them so it is a regognised provider. As has already been quoted in this thread, if you no longer continue your studies for whatever reason after obtaining 120 credits at Level 1, (all 3 level 1 courses) you could exit with a Certificate of Higher Education (Cert HE) from Bucks New University. This means you will still have some formal recognition for the work you have completed. If you have 120 credits at Level 1 and 120 credits at Level 2, and cannot continue, you can exit with a Diploma of Higher Education (Dip HE) so these should be recognised with the student loads dept..

Not quote this as gospel though, a quick call to the students loan department should sort that out for you ;)

Last edited:
Does anybody know if I was to do the full degree (360 points worth of modules) and enroll for all of them straight away which would give me six years to complete them, would this class me as a full time student and entitle me to student loans?

I've read about the grants that I'd be entitled to if I stopped working but I'm just curious about a student loan rather than a grant. I don't mind paying it back.

Sorry don't know about the loans, but you are a fully registered student, with all discounts etc available, i.e. software from Adobe.

If you get full time student status, don't forget about your rates reduction. Last year with my wife we had a 30% reduction, worth about £500

I just spoke to the Student Loans Department and the advisor said as I wouldn't actually be attending the university as such and it's classed as "distance learning" the chances are they won't fund it but I am welcome to apply as he isn't 100% sure.

Any application for finance/grants has to be stamped by the university before sending off. That means I have to enrol before applying for the finance and if I get declined it means I'm ******ed and can't afford to pay.

So the question now is where do you stand on backing out if student finance and grants get declined and therefore can't afford the fee's?

Have you tried calling the OCA to see if they have been through this befopre with any other students? They may have experienced all this before and can advise you if you would be liokely to get the grants/loans?

@biker28i - just looked at the software discounts and WOW!! Adobe CS5 for £138, office 2010 for £38 and windows 7 for £38, impressive! (gets his credit card out)

Just completed Project 1 - Focal lengths and angle of view and found it quite interesting. It basically asks to photograph a static subject under different focal lengths to show how differently it can be interpreted, from wide angled to telephoto.

Anyone else take much from this project?

I wonder if I can do the exercise with a point and shoot? I only have my LX5 with me for the next week.

I wonder if I can do the exercise with a point and shoot? I only have my LX5 with me for the next week.

After doing it mate I would think that you might struggle with a P&S camera to benefit from it even though it does say you can use any type of camera. You really get a better grasp on the subject if you can use a few diff lenses for this excercise, i used a 10-20mm, a 18-55mm and a 70-300mm so i could get a big range of focal ranges.

Ive updated my learning log so have a peek mate and you'll get an idea of whats entiled: http://mattgilesphotography.blogspot.com/

hewhoknows said:
Just completed Project 1 - Focal lengths and angle of view and found it quite interesting. It basically asks to photograph a static subject under different focal lengths to show how differently it can be interpreted, from wide angled to telephoto.

I found the first few just really a grounding but it was interesting taking the pictures as I wanted to take good photos, not just shots. It gets more interesting in elements of design..

Nice and interesting blog by the way.

Thanks very much, not overly happy with the standatd of photos i took for the first project but will be focusing on producing better images from now on. This is the first time ive kept a blog and im hooked already haha!

Ive updated my learning log so have a peek mate and you'll get an idea of whats entiled: http://mattgilesphotography.blogspot.com/

Matt, how much of your assignment is just regurgitated in your blog/learning log?

I ask because this learning log thing is what is putting me off going for the course. It started to creep in when I was doing OU courses and I hate it because it purports to require a methodical regular type of study which is not me. I study in chunks, as and when I can, and that works for me. I ended up totally fabricating the 2 learning logs that were required, to appear to match what was expected, which was just a waste of time but brought in the marks.

I know it's OK for some but it seems totally anal to me.

Matt, how much of your assignment is just regurgitated in your blog/learning log?

I ask because this learning log thing is what is putting me off going for the course. It started to creep in when I was doing OU courses and I hate it because it purports to require a methodical regular type of study which is not me. I study in chunks, as and when I can, and that works for me. I ended up totally fabricating the 2 learning logs that were required, to appear to match what was expected, which was just a waste of time but brought in the marks.

I think the idea of the learning log is so that your tutor and the OCA can see how you are progressing with the course and see what you are taking and learning from the course. I've done a few different distance learning courses before and never had to do one but I quite like the idea of keeping a 'Journal' about the projects, assigments and general things learnt while carrying out the proejcts.

With mine I just put down what the project or assigment is all about, what i did during the project/assigment and what conclusions I draw after completing each one. For me its going to be a great tool that i can look back on at certain points through the course for info and inspiration instead of thumbing through paperwork or trying to remeber what I did on a particular day.

I dont thionk the iudea is to regugitate the course ramblings, just your own. Kind of like a blog really.

Last edited:
This course sounds interesting but I'd like some info on the course tutors. I couldn't see anything on the college site. Perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place. Anyone know where this info could be?

I've never blogged before, but it's really so you can write down info about the image, the learning process, how you think you fulfilled the criteria etc. By doing a blog, your tutor (and I guess a verifier?) can check your progress through your projects and give you any pointers.
Mine started out a little 'stiff' but I'm loosening up. I've started including shots that didn't work as part of my learning process. It's working out quite well as I've had to go back and refer to my notes to get stuff right for my second assignment.

This course sounds interesting but I'd like some info on the course tutors. I couldn't see anything on the college site. Perhaps I wasn't looking in the right place. Anyone know where this info could be?

Your tutor gets assigned to you, you don't know who they are before hand but I believe all are well experienced. I had a personal letter from my tutor explaining his background. I have found his insight and suggestions invaluable.

Here is a bit of my background information, Although I hail from London I studied Photography at Blackpool College of Art, which in the 70's was the place to go! After Art School I reverted back to London and assisted various advertising photographers over a few years, including London's top food photographer. I helped set-up and run the in-house photographic studio for the John Blackburn Design Partnership in London's West End, and worked with many leading designers and art directors. During this period all the work was shot on 10x8 inch transparency film and retouching was carried out with a paint brush and scalpel!

When we started a family we decided to forsake the hectic South and head back to "sanity" found in Northern Climes! For a while I was employed by Carlton Studios (stills division of Carlton TV), in Manchester, as senior Advertising Photographer. This eventually led to a colleague and myself setting up our own Advertising and Commercial photographic studio in Manchester. Twenty years later, 5000 square feet of space and many successful advertising shoots I decided that thirty plus years of Advertising Photography was enough! So I "retired" and returned to University full time and studied for a PGSE / Cert.Ed. teaching qualification.

I now teach photography, part time, on various degree level courses at Batley School of Art and Design which is part of Kirklees College in West Yorkshire, our courses are validated by Leeds Metropolitan University. I also run a Level Three photography night class which I really enjoy and is very successful. I still undertake some advertising commissions but prefer to concentrate more on personal work which is mostly landscape and "fine art" still life photography. Last year I exhibited some landscape work in California including a video installation featuring experimental time-lapse sequences. I am an active member of several creative networking groups both virtual and physical. I have a keen interest in the contemporary photography scene and although I shoot mainly digital my fridge still contains many sheets and rolls of film and the craft of using film still features in my teaching.

Hope this helps

Hi there folks i have joined the OCA as well, at the end of december and have started my blog at: muz-muzza.blogspot.com if anyone wants a look and can give me sone C&C would be great.
This is the first time i have kept a blog as well and i am slowly coming round to it.
So far it has been very interesting and seems like it will help in learning to take and see a picture.
Good start to your learning log matt.
Byker28i thats a cracking blog you have there as well.

Last edited:
I've never blogged before, but it's really so you can write down info about the image, the learning process, how you think you fulfilled the criteria etc. By doing a blog, your tutor (and I guess a verifier?) can check your progress through your projects and give you any pointers.
Mine started out a little 'stiff' but I'm loosening up. I've started including shots that didn't work as part of my learning process. It's working out quite well as I've had to go back and refer to my notes to get stuff right for my second assignment.

Your tutor gets assigned to you, you don't know who they are before hand but I believe all are well experienced. I had a personal letter from my tutor explaining his background. I have found his insight and suggestions invaluable.

Here is a bit of my background information, Although I hail from London I studied Photography at Blackpool College of Art, which in the 70's was the place to go! After Art School I reverted back to London and assisted various advertising photographers over a few years, including London's top food photographer. I helped set-up and run the in-house photographic studio for the John Blackburn Design Partnership in London's West End, and worked with many leading designers and art directors. During this period all the work was shot on 10x8 inch transparency film and retouching was carried out with a paint brush and scalpel!

When we started a family we decided to forsake the hectic South and head back to "sanity" found in Northern Climes! For a while I was employed by Carlton Studios (stills division of Carlton TV), in Manchester, as senior Advertising Photographer. This eventually led to a colleague and myself setting up our own Advertising and Commercial photographic studio in Manchester. Twenty years later, 5000 square feet of space and many successful advertising shoots I decided that thirty plus years of Advertising Photography was enough! So I "retired" and returned to University full time and studied for a PGSE / Cert.Ed. teaching qualification.

I now teach photography, part time, on various degree level courses at Batley School of Art and Design which is part of Kirklees College in West Yorkshire, our courses are validated by Leeds Metropolitan University. I also run a Level Three photography night class which I really enjoy and is very successful. I still undertake some advertising commissions but prefer to concentrate more on personal work which is mostly landscape and "fine art" still life photography. Last year I exhibited some landscape work in California including a video installation featuring experimental time-lapse sequences. I am an active member of several creative networking groups both virtual and physical. I have a keen interest in the contemporary photography scene and although I shoot mainly digital my fridge still contains many sheets and rolls of film and the craft of using film still features in my teaching.

Hope this helps

Many thanks!:)

Hi there folks i have joined the OCA as well, at the end of december and have started my blog at: muz-muzza.blogspot.com if anyone wants a look and can give me sone C&C would be great.
This is the first time i have kept a blog as well and i am slowly coming round to it.
So far it has been very interesting and seems like it will help in learning to take and see a picture.
Good start to your learning log matt.
Byker28i thats a cracking blog you have there as well.

Cheers.
I like the black background of yours. Nice simple design so the photo's stand out. Be careful of your horizontals, verticals etc. Your horizons are wonky. You've done well to get shots outside with the poor light and weather at this time of year.

Last year I taught myself Joomla and created my website. This year as part of the course I taught myself Wordpress, installed it as a hidden part of my site i.e. not on the menu. All really interesting.

Just spent the last couple of days doing assignment 2 on raw food. I was wandering around Sainsbury's looking for inspiration and confused the lady who asked if I needed help. "I'm looking for some photogenic vegetables and fruit"

Cheers.
I like the black background of yours. Nice simple design so the photo's stand out. Be careful of your horizontals, verticals etc. Your horizons are wonky. You've done well to get shots outside with the poor light and weather at this time of year.

Last year I taught myself Joomla and created my website. This year as part of the course I taught myself Wordpress, installed it as a hidden part of my site i.e. not on the menu. All really interesting.

Just spent the last couple of days doing assignment 2 on raw food. I was wandering around Sainsbury's looking for inspiration and confused the lady who asked if I needed help. "I'm looking for some photogenic vegetables and fruit"

Thanks for pointing that out i will keep that in mind after going back for a look they are quite a bit wonky. My head must not be callibrated ha ha

That is the next thing i would like to do is create a website but was not sure what package to use. Was Joomla quite good to get the hang of? I was thinking about dreamweaver but it might be a confusing world of pain.

In hindsight, Joomla wouldn't be the best thing if you're a complete novice, but then neither is dreamweaver. Joomla is a CMS (content management system), so you have a template (or design) and then write articles and publish them. You can buy very good templates or get some free ones, but I made my own, getting ideas from the trial version of Artisteer. But it took me about 4 months of learning/work to get to where I felt comfortable.

Nothing at all other than thinking have I wasted my money. Did that at GCSE level and didn't expect to be seeing it on a higher education course. Bit of a motivation killer for me to be honest.

Nothing at all other than thinking have I wasted my money. Did that at GCSE level and didn't expect to be seeing it on a higher education course. Bit of a motivation killer for me to be honest.

Have you read the course info/intro? TAOP is all about introducing photography so it has to start from a point. Yup the first exercises are a little basic, but it builds a grounding.

It also gets more interesting/detailed/challenging. I'm just completing my second assignment and have taken around 500 photo's to get the 15 I'm submitting, that's after working out what I was going to shoot over a couple of evenings.

I see TAOP as just ensuring everyone is at the same reasonable competent level before we're launched into the real hard stuff in later modules.

How far along are you YellowDuke?

Last edited:
When I get my learning log underway it will be at: http://akphotographic.blogspot.com/p/oca-learning-log.html

Hope the other students can book mark it and offer critique. Currently I am still awaiting my course material. It is over a week late so I figure something has gone wrong. Does your tutor introduce him/herself to you automatically by email? I have not heard from anyone.

Cheers,
Dub

I was told who my tutor was. I emailed him and he emailed back.
If you think your course material is late, call or email the office. They respond very quickly.

Thanks for the info and compliment :). I will call them on Monday. How did they tell you who your tutor is?

I'm trying to remember.. I think I got an email from the office or a letter with the course material.

I'm trying to remember.. I think I got an email from the office or a letter with the course material.

Yeah i got mine with my course materials too. I emailed him my student profile and he emailed me back the same day with his CV attached for my information. He has also asked mt to call him at my convenience so we can have a quick chat over the phone. All sounds goo at the moment ;)

I have a question before I embark on this. What is the role of the tutor exactly? How important is the tutor? If the style of photography of the tutor is very different to what i want to do is this important?

I got my material :) Time to start studying!

Hi glad to hear u have joined in too. I use my tutor for small questions and things I'm un sure of maybe for some inspiration. He/she is also the one that will be looking over your exercises and assignments. They are good at getting back to you quick and helping you out I find.
Good luck

The concern i have is what if the tutor you have been assigned has a completely different style of photography to that which you aspire to. Imagine you want a modern or edgy style but your tutor has a very traditional and conservative style. Alternatively you are interested in landscape and urban photography but your tutor is focussed on portraits and weddings. Would you stick with that tutor? Do you have any choice but to stick with that tutor? Will being with that tutor detract from ones experience of the course?

I've not had any issues yet. In fact my tutors feedback and assistance has been detailed and helpful.

The handbook says that I should start by reading the assignment briefing sheet. It is supposed to be in the front of the course book but it is not. The course book goes straight in to the reading material. Did you guys get a briefing assignment sheet? Anyone know where I can get it online?

I have emailed my profile to my tutor now. Just going through the supporting material (student handbook, how to write a log, etc) before I get stuck in. Very excited.

Dub

I think my briefing assignment sheet was a seperate single piece of paper not inside the folder with the pen etc.

Ok thanks, I've doubled checked every piece of paper that I received and it's not there. Will wait to see if someone on the forums can link me to a download.

this is where i got confused i don't have the assignment briefing sheet either. but i have e-mailed my tutor and he was more than helpful at getting back to me.

I have just spoken to the oca office and they have said that as this section of the course hasnt been updated for some time there isnt a assignment briefing sheet, all that it will say if there was one is that each section has a time scale and you should spend so many hours on this and that etc but it isnt necessary with this course as its flexible on the times , you should put about 400 hours into this course . hope this helps and good luck with the course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back