OCA The Art of Photography Course Discussion Including Assignments and Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
American Mrs - Try flickr as they have an OCA thread (over coffee or something like that) where there are a number of experience OCA students. Also try theOCA site or contact OCA them selves by email. They are really friendly and helpful

Hi all,

Been a few weeks, as have been away, trying to get some fishing done and getting beat up practicing a martial arts demo i was involved in.

Anyway, as i have now had feedback for the first formal assessment, thought i would ask those that have been there, done it etc, got the t.shirt, do you submit them all in one go, once you have completed the lot, or is it when you have the 3 assessment periods?

I have had a look at the criteria etc for it, and it says when submitting, then less is more, but what do you do? Is it just all the assignments that are submitted, or do you also put some of the exercises you have done also? Is it best to send the assignment that has been altered, taking into account your tutors comments, or send both? It says nothing over 15kg, so presume all assignments etc are sent printed.

I know these are your typical moron mark questions, but it doesn't take much to confuse me :LOL:

Sorry, i know it's a sunday night....lol

Just submitting mine for dpp and I'm doing the same I did for taop.

I'm submitting the assignment photos only, the tutors feedback for the assignments printed out, and anything I've collected in the form of my scrapbook. Leaflets, books from exhibitions etc, plus an overview of what I've submitted and where my blog is.
Then on a memory stick is all my learning log in PDF format, my scrapbook (which is in digital format), electronic copies of my tutor feedback and the overview.

All submitted in a portfolio box.

There's a really good video on the student site on what and how to submit. You can only submit in a specific month period for that assessment time. Right now is material has to be in between 15jan and 15 feb.
Good luck

Last edited:
American Mrs - Try flickr as they have an OCA thread (over coffee or something like that) where there are a number of experience OCA students. Also try theOCA site or contact OCA them selves by email. They are really friendly and helpful

The group is http://www.flickr.com/groups/ocarts/
Eileen is a good contact: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eileen_r/

Or to be honest - phone the office and talk to them. They are very helpful and approachable.

OCA
Michael Young Arts Centre
Redbrook Business Park
Wilthorpe Road
BARNSLEY
S75 1JN

Freephone: 0800 731 2116
From abroad: 0044(0)1226 730 495
Office opening hours are:

Mon - Thurs: 9:00 - 17:00
Fri: 9:00 - 16:00

enquiries@oca-uk.com

That's it. Dpp is now wrapped, packaged in brown paper and ready to be posted for formal assessment.

Thanks for the entry on the blog (you know who you are). I've not approved the comment yet whilst I think of the right way to reply/comment on it, but I really appreciate the support. It helped get my head straight.

Right onwards and upwards.

People and places I think. I've had a look at other students work on this and I think this is the way my photography has been going for a while anyway. It'll also force me to confront my shyness? When taking people photos in public spaces. Weird as I'm a very outgoing person and will talk to anyone, but with a camera I tend to be more respectful of people's personal space.

People and places I think. I've had a look at other students work on this and I think this is the way my photography has been going for a while anyway. It'll also force me to confront my shyness? When taking people photos in public spaces. Weird as I'm a very outgoing person and will talk to anyone, but with a camera I tend to be more respectful of people's personal space.

Interesting. I suffer from that too. I'm quite chatty normally but behind a camera I become rather introverted. Weird - glad I'm not the only one!

There's a blog post n it somewhere. Something about different cultures and personal space and how the personal space bubble increases with camera.

Dpp. Paid for Friday afternoon so I guess I'll be starting that next weekend. I've got a place on the study visit to the v&a so that should kick start my course.
Found myself in ashburton today with an hour to kill so headed for the river for some practice with the camera. Found a group of canoeists about to launch so spoke to them, photographed them, then photographed them on the river (photos in people and portraits). Just break myself in :)

I have had a difficult few weeks.

Started the colour project and hit a brick wall with both lack of inspiration and lack of time due to work. I had got some photos done but just wasn't right.

Had trip to the wildlife photographer of the year yesterday, glad i did, gave me the boot i needed, have got some photos done today, just got to play catch up as away all next week, so may not get any time (won't get pc time, might get photography inspiration though.

Must go as photos just been done to LR.

Reidy36 said:
I have had a difficult few weeks.

Started the colour project and hit a brick wall with both lack of inspiration and lack of time due to work. I had got some photos done but just wasn't right.

Had trip to the wildlife photographer of the year yesterday, glad i did, gave me the boot i needed, have got some photos done today, just got to play catch up as away all next week, so may not get any time (won't get pc time, might get photography inspiration though.

Must go as photos just been done to LR.

I've been making much better progress with this module from a course point of view. The problem I was having was that I wasn't really getting the point. I was thinking that it was good practise to look at colour but didn't really feel my photography was improving for it.

Then, on Monday, I went to a presentation by Phil Malpas. The talk wasn't specifically about colour but he did talk about it and things started to make much more sense. He's written a book specifically about colour that I've started reading - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/294...ile?qid=1310155619&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1.

I've also written an entry on my blog about some of what I got out of Monday if anyone is interested.

Reidy36 said:
Had trip to the wildlife photographer of the year yesterday, glad i did, gave me the boot i needed,

I passed that today. £9 to get in? Last year when it toured it was free in the venue I went to. I thought about going there first before the Victoria and Albert but ended up going into the v&a galleries at opening time, which I had to myself.

First time in the v&a, stunning building, interesting stuff.

I've been making much better progress with this module from a course point of view. The problem I was having was that I wasn't really getting the point. I was thinking that it was good practise to look at colour but didn't really feel my photography was improving for it.

Then, on Monday, I went to a presentation by Phil Malpas. The talk wasn't specifically about colour but he did talk about it and things started to make much more sense. He's written a book specifically about colour that I've started reading - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/294...ile?qid=1310155619&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1.

I've also written an entry on my blog about some of what I got out of Monday if anyone is interested.

I am annoyed with myself a little, there isn't as much content as on the others so far, but taking longer to do (blame work alot). Posted on my blog the initial exercise, so up and running again, looks like i will be turning to still life for 2 of the colours for the Primary and Secondary colours, and will use fruit (i hate doing still life, but needs must).

Would be interested in what you wrote Alfy, which is your blog again?

I passed that today. £9 to get in? Last year when it toured it was free in the venue I went to. I thought about going there first before the Victoria and Albert but ended up going into the v&a galleries at opening time, which I had to myself.

First time in the v&a, stunning building, interesting stuff.

Yes, it cost me £10, well £20 actually, as booked my ticket and got the wrong date....i do have many moron mark moments. This was my first exhibition and as i like the wildlife side of things, i really enjoyed it. Some amazing photographs there and would recommend it, or failing that, just go on the web page and click on gallery.

Reidy36 said:
I am annoyed with myself a little, there isn't as much content as on the others so far, but taking longer to do (blame work alot). Posted on my blog the initial exercise, so up and running again, looks like i will be turning to still life for 2 of the colours for the Primary and Secondary colours, and will use fruit (i hate doing still life, but needs must).

Would be interested in what you wrote Alfy, which is your blog again?

This is the post - http://bushtography.wordpress.com/2013/02/12/phil-malpas-finding-the-picture/

I'm lucky to have discovered that I quite enjoy still life/table top photography.

I'll be trying to create warm and cool images with drinks tomorrow. The 'warm' image is going to use beer which will make things even more enjoyable :)

Here's mine. http://carolstreetphotography.wordpress.com
I am really behind my original plan as I'm 8 weeks in and am still on 'The Frame' exercises. I have most of the pics done just a lot of writing up to do. So will have to get a move if I want to keep to my plan of finishing TAOP within a year. But I am enjoying it and learning a lot so onwards and upwards.

ps. Mark, your work is fine. I follow your blog and you have some great stuff on there.

Last edited:
I'm yet to start on the colours chapter. I have some ideas but I dont want to use all of the decent ones on the exercises when the assignment is more of the same. My TAOP blog is here: http://theartofphotographybysuzy.wordpress.com/

I know what you mean. I have just used some good ideas up, but think i will expand on what i have done. This is the hardest one so far i feel as it is so specific. I have just done photos for 2 exercises, so just need a few more and then it's assignment time.

Here's mine. http://carolstreetphotography.wordpress.com
I am really behind my original plan as I'm 8 weeks in and am still on 'The Frame' exercises. I have most of the pics done just a lot of writing up to do. So will have to get a move if I want to keep to my plan of finishing TAOP within a year. But I am enjoying it and learning a lot so onwards and upwards.

ps. Mark, your work is fine. I follow your blog and you have some great stuff on there.

Carol, thank you. You should go to Specsavers though. I also struggle at times, i have good weeks and then others i struggle. I have found that when you are in the "zone" make the most of it, as when you are having a bad day, it allows you that bit of a break to just relax.

Here is mine:
http://warrenjonesphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

I'm in the process of putting together TAOP Assignment 3 Colour and have about 2-3 images yet to created. The write-ups do take a long time :)

In terms of struggling I believe the pro's will only use 1 or so from every 100-200 images they take so on that basis we should also expect a low conversion rate. I think the key is to experiment and it costs nothing to delete an image whether in camera or when viewed on the monitor. Perhaps if we accept many images we produce may not be of the quality we want then t takes some pressure off us and resets our expectations - especially regarding how many shots we need to take to get a chance of a worthy one

Additionally we are learning so perhaps need to become comfortable with making mistakes and having constructive critique made of our images...its the only way to get better.

With regard to Suzy's statement does the OCA or anyone have any views regarding not using excercise images as part of the assignment submission if the student feels its of the quality worth submitting? Perhaps use the idea of an image taken for an exercise and go back and retake but improve the priginal image. This also shows learning and progression

Last edited:
the Colours section is a real pain in the bum! Thankfully its only a small module but trying to find real world examples without copping out and and just shooting fruit is proving next to impossible and a real time sink. Im dreading the assignment.

FrattonFreak said:
I've just submitted TAOP Assignment 3 - Colour. I quite enkoyed this assignment though it has taxed me. Here is a link to submission in my blog in case anyone is interested:

http://warrenjonesphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/taop-assignment-3-colour.html

Nice selection there Warren like the them all.

I have just also posted the colour assignment, taken me longer than I had hoped to due to family commitments, also found it hard to find suitable subjects so reverted to still life and indoors shots for most.

Just need to get on with part 4 now. Got a couple of questions about part 4 but will post those when I have a bit more time.

Rob

essexash said:
the Colours section is a real pain in the bum! Thankfully its only a small module but trying to find real world examples without copping out and and just shooting fruit is proving next to impossible and a real time sink. Im dreading the assignment.

Absolutely agree, as in my post above, I found it quite difficult.

Just has a look at your's Rob and I must say some of the images are stunning. Favourites are:
- the red / green card....lighting is excellent
- strawberry's and lemon. I'd love to know how you did this, a fish tank perhaps? Anyway this image works well
- the light painting with the tunnel = WOW
- food dyes, again ver clever and nicely executed

Its amazing how diverse images for assignments can be. Interesting to find out what our tutors think in due course :)

Hi Warren, thanks for your remarks. Yep the strawberry and lemon dropped into a fish tank half full with water, lots of other stuff got dropped in the tank that night including kit kat still in wrapper. It was eaten immediately after though, it's photo was not to bad either. Loads of how to videos on you tube about set up etc.

The light tunnel, well must thank MWHCVT and thedodo on here for the quality of that and thedodo's steady hand on the lights. Both have immense knowledge about light painting.

This course is costing me a fortune in new gear though. Did not have a flashgun before I started TAoP now got 2 :) the list is endless . Also got two fish tanks with no fish !!!!!

Byker, thanks for the list. It does help having the links to other peoples blogs in a handy place.

Warren/Rob, you guys have some nice images for your assignments and some interesting and creative ideas.

I think I've got the images done for assignment 3 now so just need to get the write up done, hopefully I'll get that done this weekend. I started off really struggling to engage with this module at first but in the end feel like I've learnt quite a lot and have really enjoyed it. I've not really looked ahead at the light section yet but it looks like a bit of a monster module.

Byker, thanks for the list. It does help having the links to other peoples blogs in a handy place.

Warren/Rob, you guys have some nice images for your assignments and some interesting and creative ideas.

I think I've got the images done for assignment 3 now so just need to get the write up done, hopefully I'll get that done this weekend. I started off really struggling to engage with this module at first but in the end feel like I've learnt quite a lot and have really enjoyed it. I've not really looked ahead at the light section yet but it looks like a bit of a monster module.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you manage to have a look at that IR image yet?

Had a quick browse through the blogs, some fallers, some doing really well but some great images being taken. Really nice to see other peoples ideas and their background reading also. Given me a few ideas.

A couple of things stood out.

LucyB - loving the layout of your blog. I really like the images and introductory piece. That theme works really well and some great images as well. CarolS is using the same one, really nice choice.

AlfyB - injecting colours into water - what a great idea.

As always, thanks for the encouragement and keep up the good work.

wordpress users, when im adding images to my posts i only get a very small range of sizes to insert into the post. Is there any way of adjusting what size image you want to put in?

The options i get are
Thunmbnail 150x150
Medium 300x240
Full Size 600x480 (This is the size i output from lightroom)

I just want something between medium and full size but cant see a way of customising it.

I host mine on pbase then insert from a URL. This voices me 4 different sizes I can use plus resizing within Wordpress.

Try Dashboard => settings => media. Then you are in Media Settings and you can customise the size of each of the three options. I changed my Medium size to max width 375 and max height 375.

Hope this helps.

Hi all,

Just a quick one. I have just converted my images to b&w and then increased the saturation on the individual colours.

On the green and blue, the image doesn't appear to change much, unlike the red and yellow which gives the effect that others have got.

Any ideas? Is it due to the green and blue being really dark green and blue?

Looking at some of the others, i think my red,blue and green maybe a touch too dark in the colour scheme of things, don't think it helps they are candles. Back to the drawing board with something lighter i think.

Last edited:
What software are you using? Can you adjust the exposure/colour levels before you convert to monochrome?

Using lightroom 3. I have photoshop 3 also but not got to grips with it yet. Will have to try messing around with other settings.

What software are you using? Can you adjust the exposure/colour levels before you convert to monochrome?

I am sure i can, didn't try it, i was just following the instruction of changing to monochrome then adjusting the colour levels. I even tried changing the other colours to a more negative to try and help, but no joy.

Try Dashboard => settings => media. Then you are in Media Settings and you can customise the size of each of the three options. I changed my Medium size to max width 375 and max height 375.

Hope this helps.

brilliant , thanks for that :) never noticed that bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back