OCA The Art of Photography Course Discussion Including Assignments and Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggling with part 4 light at moment. Have done a couple of exercises but not posted to blog yet. I seem to be fixated with the light through the day exercise at the moment. Spending far to much time researching various places and watching the weather forecast, and not getting on with the other exercises within part 4.

Struggling with part 4 light at moment. Have done a couple of exercises but not posted to blog yet. I seem to be fixated with the light through the day exercise at the moment. Spending far to much time researching various places and watching the weather forecast, and not getting on with the other exercises within part 4.

Me to :( my deadline for the assignment is in 15 days. I'm half way through the exercises but not put any on my blog yet.

I'm finding it quite difficult because you need specific weather/lighting for the exercises which isn't really fitting in with when I get chance to work on things.

On the plus side, I've been using the time to start learning a bit about flash which I think will be a benefit when I finally get to the assignment.

I think I'm just over halfway in Light and also at the Light through the day excercise. You can spread this over a number of days and I think the key is having either a) a whole day to spend doing this or b) selecting a location thats close to you.

I did see one blog where this was based upon light through the day in a back garden.

I've not yet made my mind up on the location yet but I think I will focus more on a close location that can reflect the light changing through the day where I can get access rather than the location itself.

I'm not sure what others think but it is an exercise rather than an assignment so whilst the images are important I think its what you learn from the exercise that has the greater value.

Bloody weather!!!:bang:
Just doing a bit of a write up, then planning on going out with the camera as need a bright day, and the clouds appear.
This light one is going to be the hardest i feel as you have to rely on the elements to help you out.

I think I'm just over halfway in Light and also at the Light through the day excercise. You can spread this over a number of days and I think the key is having either a) a whole day to spend doing this or b) selecting a location thats close to you.

I did see one blog where this was based upon light through the day in a back garden.

I've not yet made my mind up on the location yet but I think I will focus more on a close location that can reflect the light changing through the day where I can get access rather than the location itself.

I'm not sure what others think but it is an exercise rather than an assignment so whilst the images are important I think its what you learn from the exercise that has the greater value.

I went out to take the photos for light through the day last Saturday. Set out at 4.30am got back at 9pm. It was a long day approx 60mile drive both ways to my chosen spot. Guess what It was raining most of the morning:thumbsdown: agree, as it's an exercise it's what i'm going with.

Will need to email my tutor though, assignment due 15th May, no chance of making that date.

Well I got out and managed to get the photos in sun light and sun light in the shade during mid day, but come the evening and it went really cloudy.

On a plus side, I got the write up done from the wildlife photographer of the year exhibition.

I went out to take the photos for light through the day last Saturday. Set out at 4.30am got back at 9pm. It was a long day approx 60mile drive both ways to my chosen spot. Guess what It was raining most of the morning:thumbsdown: agree, as it's an exercise it's what i'm going with.

Will need to email my tutor though, assignment due 15th May, no chance of making that date.

sounds like a rather long day. Not sure yet what I am going to do yet, but thinking of making it easy on myself and doing a close up of flowers taken from my balcony, not ideal but not sure when I can commit a full day like that.

sounds like a rather long day. Not sure yet what I am going to do yet, but thinking of making it easy on myself and doing a close up of flowers taken from my balcony, not ideal but not sure when I can commit a full day like that.

Yep it was a long day but quite enjoyed it, and the car park was only 50metres away :) also as it was Macclesfield Forrest there was plenty of walks and of course took a book with me, still not finished it though.

Robsea - Thats a shame but well done on the committment.

The weather has turned again so I may come back to this exercise - if you look in the folder a few pages inclement weather is an exercise in itself :)

Yes I have seen that so I have got the images for that one too.

Got my assignment 1 feedback back a couple of days ago. Really chuffed as my tutor seemed pleased with my efforts. He pulled me up on a couple of things that could be improved, which is good as I want honest critique. Will get round to writing a post for my blog after in-laws have visited this coming weekend. So onwards and upwards to Part two.

Last edited:
Well done. I think in your post feedback write-up you should include any image changes if possible as part of your review of his feedback and then perhaps comment on your views if this made the image better e.g. he may have suggested a tighter crop, an orientation of image change, or a post processing change etc

This is all regarded as part of your learning and I think is also used as part of the formal assessment when you get to this stage

I think I'm about 2/3 through Light (section 4) which is quite a big part of TAOP module but I am looking forward to reaching the assignment task

I've found so far that the exercises I've completed so far really do have an impact in terms of my learning and knowledge. This module I think will make you much more comfirtable and knowledgeable about your camera and taking images plus some basic post processing. Would be interested to see what others think

Oh - I forgot to say I haven't yet completed my dawn to dusk exercise...could take quite a big investment of time but I'll get there. I expect most people have struggled with time / location on this one?

Yup, as mentioned I did from about 5am to 10 pm. Pick somewhere close else you'll be travelling all the time. Also the light changes during the first and last hour of the day really quickly so plan to be the for that time at least to get extra shots rather than the just the one an hour. Don't forget that idea of time slices that I posted before, or also perhaps an animated gif?

Well nearly finished the photographs for light through the day.
I agree with the above comment, I chose a plain building close to home as was more interested in showing how the light changes than looking at something pretty. Also check to see how the light falls as I have been lucky and the most dramatic changes I have been able to photograph due to where I was positioned (more luck than proper planning).
Good luck if you are soon to start it.

Just submitted my first ever assignment... it feels like a weight has come off my shoulders. I had originally intended to submit by Easter, but kept putting it off due to bit of work pressure, etc, but mostly first time nerves. In the end I decided it was now or never, the photographs may not be perfect but once it's in I can get on with the job of improving my skills.

I'm so so relieved.

I've just had the nag message "you've had three months and we've not seen your first assignment...". I'm close, but I've had exams from work, worked away from home and had my sons wedding. It's been a really busy three months. Best I crack on, shot another exercise today, started writing it up and I'll finish it tomorrow.

Working offsite next two weeks,so I need to spend some time in the evenings.

I'm off to Liverpool next weekend for look13 photo festival. I've a place on the student visit, but to get there for the start I've got to drive up Friday night and stay over, so I'm going to make a weekend of it and stay the Saturday night as well, as I won't get to Liverpool until 11 pm Friday. So many exhibitions I want to see, but also ive got to shoot an assignment. Still, there's every opportunity to add a location shoot, hotel room perhaps?

I'm off to Liverpool next weekend for look13 photo festival. I've a place on the student visit, but to get there for the start I've got to drive up Friday night and stay over, so I'm going to make a weekend of it and stay the Saturday night as well, as I won't get to Liverpool until 11 pm Friday. So many exhibitions I want to see, but also ive got to shoot an assignment. Still, there's every opportunity to add a location shoot, hotel room perhaps?
I have a place on that student visit too! Looking forward to it.

Well done Alet, I submitted my first assignment at the beginning of May and it's a great feeling to get the first one under your belt. Once I had my feedback I had more of an idea of how the bar had been set which makes it a lot easier going forward.

Yup, as mentioned I did from about 5am to 10 pm. Pick somewhere close else you'll be travelling all the time. Also the light changes during the first and last hour of the day really quickly so plan to be the for that time at least to get extra shots rather than the just the one an hour. Don't forget that idea of time slices that I posted before, or also perhaps an animated gif?

That was a long stint! Yes thanks for the options - these are great ideas!

Well nearly finished the photographs for light through the day.
I agree with the above comment, I chose a plain building close to home as was more interested in showing how the light changes than looking at something pretty. Also check to see how the light falls as I have been lucky and the most dramatic changes I have been able to photograph due to where I was positioned (more luck than proper planning).
Good luck if you are soon to start it.

Thanks. I think will take the advice of something close to home. I will test today whether I can get a good view with my zoom of the hills from the drive as that will be ideal. Until now I had been looking further from home but I think the key is to have a decent subject with the changing light as opposed to a great view that perhaps we would look for in a single or small set of images

I'm currently making my way through the lighting part of TAOP too. It's slow going, and I've decided to give the 'light throughout the day' exercise a miss, but otherwise I'm getting there. Not sure about the assignment yet though.

I'm going to the Liverpool study visit too. It'll be good to see people. Anyone going to Sheffield the weekend after?

Byker28i, there are lots of intersting places in Liverpool. The docks is a good place to start. What sort of thing are you looking for?

I've no idea what I'm looking for, I'll find it when I'm there I guess.

But cool 3 of us on the study visit

I'm currently making my way through the lighting part of TAOP too. It's slow going, and I've decided to give the 'light throughout the day' exercise a miss, but otherwise I'm getting there. Not sure about the assignment yet though.

?

Hi Lucy

Yes I saw your blog, you are just ahead of me. Its quite a big mdule isn't it :D

'Light throughout the day' - I completely undertsood your reasons - I wonder if an alternative could be say to image a plant / flowers / window box, building, something on an internal window ledge etc where the camera remains in the house but images an object where the light upon the subject changes during the day. Whilst not perhaps 100% meeting the exercise objective it could be a different interpretation, covering light changing during the day for a different subject ?

Just a thought ;)

I am not studying the OCA course but am interested in doing so hence my reading this thread. I have a suggestion about your light through the day module.
Would it not be possible (in a secure location) say a back garden, so set your camera for a time lapse? That way you needn't even be there, as I said within a secure location. You are still taking the photographs freeing up some of your valuable time to be concentrating on something else?
Just a suggestion/observation.
Regards

Iain

I am not studying the OCA course but am interested in doing so hence my reading this thread. I have a suggestion about your light through the day module.
Would it not be possible (in a secure location) say a back garden, so set your camera for a time lapse? That way you needn't even be there, as I said within a secure location. You are still taking the photographs freeing up some of your valuable time to be concentrating on something else?
Just a suggestion/observation.
Regards

Iain

This is basically what I've done for the task. I've fallen behind, again, and needed to start bending the rules a bit to get through things so I set my cable release to fire every 15 minutes. The images were taken out of my patents window because they look out onto a golf course with trees for the sun to hit.

I was using a watering can to fake some rain at the weekend :) Unbelievable for this country really!

This is basically what I've done for the task. I've fallen behind, again, and needed to start bending the rules a bit to get through things so I set my cable release to fire every 15 minutes. The images were taken out of my patents window because they look out onto a golf course with trees for the sun to hit.

I was using a watering can to fake some rain at the weekend :) Unbelievable for this country really!

Would it even be seen as bending the rules Ian?
You are still in full control of your camera by dialling in the initial settings, I see it more as good time management ;)

I don't think it's bending the rules. Although it a photography degree, it is a creative arts course. You where being creative :)

A good but short study visit today but really interesting. Chinese tea with Lucy and Alet was certainly a surprise. Lots of ideas, some new artists to research

Yes, we did see rather a lot! My blog entry is now written up too . . . Looking at yours thought I just realised I have left some important stuff out (e.g. Driss). Oh well.

Nice, good write up. Always interesting to see other peoples thoughts.

I have just started the artificial light bit (little behind ....again) and trying to get the first 2 exercises done this weekend.

Looking at the Outdoors at night exercise, i had some fun last night with time lapse stuff on a local bridge overlooking a main road and also stood on a corner of a roundabout.
I went and asked yesterday at the Centrecourt shopping centre in Wimbledon if i would be allowed to take photos as explained it was for a course etc, got a big fat no off them, can see this being the current theme (maybe i should have just gone in and done it quickly, who knows).

Trying to get my head round this CFL lamp thing, may have to visit a shop and buy a bulb so i can have a play. (Excellent, just googled it and i have some).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back