OCA The Art of Photography Course Discussion - Part 2

Hi All, I'm gradually approaching the end of TAOP and am looking at the next option. Basically it boils down to Context and Narrative or People and Place. Are there any good reasons to do one before the other, in your experience? I need to do them both so it's just a matter of which one first.
By the way, I'm planning on submitting TAOP for assessment - do I have to do this within a set time? I know I'm allowed 2 years for the course but I'm already about 16 months into that 24 so I'm worrying I'm cutting it a bit fine, if assessment is factored in. Any thoughts on this please?
I'll be at the Karen Knorr study visit on Sat'dy if anyone wants to say hello. Also on the Guy Bourdin next month. I'm a real study visit junkie these days!
:)
Cheers and all the best
Chris

Carol is doing Context and Narrative. perhaps look at her blog.
I've done people and place, so you could look at mine?

Context and Narrative is a new one, seems to be a higher level than DPP (which I hated - seems to repeat a lot of TAOP), from what I've seen of Carols works it looks good. I loved People and Place, as it initially took me out my comfort zone, but I loved that module, really enjoyed the photography and learning exercises.

By the way, I'm planning on submitting TAOP for assessment - do I have to do this within a set time? I know I'm allowed 2 years for the course but I'm already about 16 months into that 24 so I'm worrying I'm cutting it a bit fine.
Chris

It's my understanding that you have 24 month to complete the module, then have to submit for assessment on the 1st or 2nd assessment date immediately after completion. But it would be best if you checked with the OCA office.

Hi All, I'm gradually approaching the end of TAOP and am looking at the next option. Basically it boils down to Context and Narrative or People and Place. Are there any good reasons to do one before the other, in your experience? I need to do them both so it's just a matter of which one first.
By the way, I'm planning on submitting TAOP for assessment - do I have to do this within a set time? I know I'm allowed 2 years for the course but I'm already about 16 months into that 24 so I'm worrying I'm cutting it a bit fine, if assessment is factored in. Any thoughts on this please?
I'll be at the Karen Knorr study visit on Sat'dy if anyone wants to say hello. Also on the Guy Bourdin next month. I'm a real study visit junkie these days!
:)
Cheers and all the best
Chris
Hi Chris,

I'm doing C&N as Byker mentioned and you are more than welcome to look at my blog and to pm me if you have any questions. You can also download a sample of each course from the OCA website to give you an idea. There is a lot of directed reading and study with C&N (less photographic exercises) which will be useful if you are planning on doing Level 2 courses - this seems to be a good stepping stone. There are five assignments - four photographic and one essay. I'm really enjoying it now as it is making me think much more metaphorically about taking photos. Of course there is always a third option - either Western Art or UVC ...

Last edited:
I enjoyed DPP and it made me think a lot more about post processing. Yes there were duplications in terms of image content for tAOP but I would suggest TAOP was a bit bloated.

I felt I learnt a lot from DPP and it has balanced my photography. Its likely that some reflction on modules could be influenced by your tutor

Hey guys,

Well I've finally got my first assignment nearly complete, just need to touch up the blog entry itself, but the images are there.

If you'd like a look and have any thoughts, tips or advice about the blog itself. I've probably waffled too much again. My Tutor wanted it on the blog and with a copy of higher res images in case he needed them.

http://www.dbt85.co.uk/blog/?p=180

EDIT: Doh, you can't see the preview because you're not logged in. Duh. Fixed!

Last edited:
Hi - An interesting set of images, some work better than others. Sharp and blunt may be a bit cliched by now. I personally wouldn't mix mono and colour within a set of images. I do like your mono images. My favurite is still and moving but knowing now how the assessors work they may suggest some motion blur in the moving image. That said the diagonals / lead lines work well.

Well done on the lightening image. I've tried this in the past and its hard work catching them!

I wouldn't say my photographt is going down the pan but I'm reduced to photographig it :)
In hindsight I should have unravelled the paper roll to make it more intereseting

http://warrenjonesphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/p-p-space-and-function-exercise-1.html

Last edited:
Goodness it's gone quiet on here.

What's everyone up to?

I've been working my way through Context and Narrative. Just finishing off assignment 4 (1000 word essay on a photograph of our choice) with a view to submitting for assessment in November (don't think I'll have enough time to get in for July).

Submitted assignment 2. Took me a while, got a bit close, did it on depression after talking with someone who was affected over some weeks. Going slowly but enjoying this course.lots to read.

slowly chipping my way through History of Western Art , just sent off assignment 3. its a great module, very interesting if a little theory heavy, but so much can be applied to photography im finding it really useful I need to pull my finger out and get on with it though. Im way behind schedule at the moment.

Signed up three weeks ago with the OCA and I am doing the Expressing Your Vision course. I am enjoying the structure it is bringing, lots to learn and I definitely need to be organised! I have submitted the first assignment and had feedback and I'm now working through the exercises, research reading and thinking about assignment 2. I hope to do some study visits in the months ahead as well.

Working away hard at Documentary. Completed assignment 2, seems to have gone down well. couple of study visits and group meetings.
Popped to venice the week before the biennial which was interesting.

Just waiting for feedback on assignment 4 (1000 word essay) for C&N and plugging through the exercises for part 5. Had a 'what seemed like a good idea at the time' moment and signed up for a day workshop learning how to shoot film noir style portraits. Really looking forward to it as I love that lighting style (also a good excuse to watch film noir movies) but am having to teach myself how to use a speedlight this weekend (hired one cheaply). Am hoping that if the pictures turn out ok I have a base for assignment 5. We shall see.

I love working with flash. I have 5 flashguns, 3 canon ttl and two yongnuo cheap manual ones (£35 each). I used to use 4 when doing home studio work. Still play occasionally

159465857.jpg

The course sounds brilliant, love film noir, I shot some sin city inspired portraits once.

Shot a wedding last week. I don't do weddings but this was for friends who asked 'are you bringing your camera, just a few shots would be great' which turned into a full shoot, but the bride was very organised, gave me timings, ideas of images she wanted and actually turned out to be fairly laid back, although shooting all day. Processing time was under 3 hours, got most right in camera which was rewarding as I was having to balance flash against a bright sun outside. I think there's an opportunity to use them on the next assignment so I'm one ahead :D

Byker - How are you finding documentary. I may consider this but I was also hoping for an upgrade to Progressing with Digital Photography

In terms of your image its very good bi I wonder if this could be achieved with less flashguns?

That image was a single flashgun in a soft box. Dark cloth over the curtains behind.
I'm liking documentary. Lots to read and write but really interesting.

Fab image Byker - your dog? I'm really starting to take an interest in lighting and have been invited to a studio session next week for a couple of hours (photographing not modelling!!!!) . Still not into 'bog-standard' portraits but am getting to like more artistic stuff, hence the interest in lighting.

Glad the wedding went smoothly; useful if you can fit it into the assignment :)

I still have one more level one course to do (UVC?) but am already thinking about level two. Original idea was landscape and documentary but PWDP has now come into the frame. Of course the level two courses may all be different in a year's time but it's fun planning.

Just sent my last assignment off for Context and Narrative - yay! Now to get ready for assessment in November and start my final Level One course (UVC).

Where is everyone these days?

Hi Carol,
I hope you're well! It is quiet isn't it?!. Congrats on finishing C&N - I have this pencilled in to start in the next couple of months. How did you feel about the course overall?
I've been really slow with TAOP and am still on Assignment 4! I had to request an extension from OCA, but they are happy for me to go over the 2 years though as long as I don't exceed 12 for the whole degree. I certainly don't plan on that!
I feel like I got ahead of myself a bit (going to quite advanced study visits and so on) and have found it hard to go back to the basics in TAOP, hence the course has dragged on. Hopefully I should have it done in 8 weeks or so. I have enjoyed it though and the other things I've learned will certainly be useful for the courses to follow I'm sure.
Anyway... better crack on now!
All the best
Chris

Yey - congrats Carol. Now comes the hard work of getting it all ready for final assessment :D

I've half way through documentary, had to slow a little as I had to take some professional exams for work. It's amazing how different the courses make your photography. Just been away for a 4 day weekend and shot the whole thing documentary style without thinking.

I am plugging away at assignment three in Expressing Your Vision, taking some risks having been inspired by the Revelations exhibition at the Science museum. trying to maintain my momentum against a very busy time at work!

Hi Carol,
I hope you're well! It is quiet isn't it?!. Congrats on finishing C&N - I have this pencilled in to start in the next couple of months. How did you feel about the course overall?
I've been really slow with TAOP and am still on Assignment 4! I had to request an extension from OCA, but they are happy for me to go over the 2 years though as long as I don't exceed 12 for the whole degree. I certainly don't plan on that!
I feel like I got ahead of myself a bit (going to quite advanced study visits and so on) and have found it hard to go back to the basics in TAOP, hence the course has dragged on. Hopefully I should have it done in 8 weeks or so. I have enjoyed it though and the other things I've learned will certainly be useful for the courses to follow I'm sure.
Anyway... better crack on now!
All the best
Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry for delayed reply - been away on hols so now catching up.

Re Context and Narrative - being one of the new courses it is a completely different ball game from TAOP. Far less photography in the exercises and much more research although the reading is self-directed which is helpful. Four of the five assignments are photographic whilst the fifth is a 1000 essay on a photograph of your choice (not as difficult as it would seem - 1000 words is not a lot once you get going).

I must admit that I nearly sank at the beginning due to the volume of reading (and others have said the same) but it is just a case of getting used to it and getting organised and I had found my feet by part two. I found I didn't really have the time to do much self-chosen research (one of the things I enjoyed about TAOP) but the course made me look at photographers that I wouldn't normally have chosen to. Some of them I'm still not keen on but others have ben a revelation.

In summary there have been times that I have hated this course, mainly because for most of it I was out of my comfort zone, but it has dragged things out of the inside of me photographically that I did not know existed and for that the course has been so worth it. It has made me change as a photographer from just taking record shots (most of TAOP) to being able to make work that is expressive and conceptual. I will never be one of the top creative students but having to try new things conceptually has given me so much more confidence.

if you are interested, my blog is https://carolstreetphotographycn.wordpress.com which will give you an idea of what the course is about.

So in short I would definitely recommend it. As a new course it is also a good stepping stone to Level Two. The trick (for me) was to keep shooting my own interests alongside the course so that I didn't lose 'me'

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Just about up to assignment 3 now but currently in california following ansel Adams. Having lunch in San Francisco overlooking the bay and alcatraz.
Staying at a hotel Adams photographed an then onto yosemitee tomorrow.

Hi all,

I have just about to finished EYV and aiming fro assessment in March. Any pointers and advises on how to present my work? I sent some prints for assignments with 9'' x 6'' but my tutor advises me to go bigger, like A4. Would you mind sharing how did you present your work for assessment? So far my tutor is happy with some of my work but he said I needed to improve my presentation skill,otherwise I would lose marks there. Thank you very much.

Icy

So far I've submitted a covering letter, which has all my details, address of my blog etc. I've included a copy of my blog as PDF's on a usb stick, not sure I'll so that again as it's huge, any prints submitted and any scrapbook stuff/supporting evidence. All was submitted in a portfolio box, like:
http://shop.silverprint.co.uk/SP-Po...Cream-Internal/product/SAB002803D/SAB002803D/

Buy one now, submit all your stuff in it, handy to put in the order you want stuff as they can turn over put into open lid. When you get it back, empty it all into a cheap box folder and keep for the next submission :D

Group everything together so it's easy, think of it as a book. So covering letter on top, then say a print out of assignment 1 and tutors response, with the prints in an envelope to keep them together. Repeat for assignments 2-5 and then add scrapbook, supporting evidence etc.

So far I've submitted a covering letter, which has all my details, address of my blog etc. I've included a copy of my blog as PDF's on a usb stick, not sure I'll so that again as it's huge, any prints submitted and any scrapbook stuff/supporting evidence. All was submitted in a portfolio box, like:
http://shop.silverprint.co.uk/SP-Po...Cream-Internal/product/SAB002803D/SAB002803D/

Buy one now, submit all your stuff in it, handy to put in the order you want stuff as they can turn over put into open lid. When you get it back, empty it all into a cheap box folder and keep for the next submission :D

Group everything together so it's easy, think of it as a book. So covering letter on top, then say a print out of assignment 1 and tutors response, with the prints in an envelope to keep them together. Repeat for assignments 2-5 and then add scrapbook, supporting evidence etc.

Thanks for the advise:) Do you put your documents and prints in the print sleeves? It is what I did when I submitted my last assignment: print out of the assignment note, put the prints in order and labelled them in the back with numbers and contact sheets in a print sleeve. but my tutor asked me to present properly when submit for assessment, like present my work to a client. I get his point but I don't want to break the bank.

I will have a look for the portfolio box from your link. thanks very much:)

edit: what print size did you submit?

Last edited:
Well, here we go - the point I've been expecting.

I'm reaching the end of the two years allowed per module and am nowhere near completing nor can I realistically fit the amount of work in to my satisfaction to complete the course. Changes in job and job roles plus additional family responsibilities means my spare time is quite limited now. I've asked the office what my options are, but it's looking like i withdraw and perhaps return to this when my life gives me more free time to devote to a course such as this. Most of the students I've met have been retired.

im in the same place, had until feb to get my last assignment in and have been really slow with this module due to various happenings in life. Luckily they extended me to April so i can get it done. But then they mentioned a time limit for the whole 3 modules which i will be up against now so im not sure if its worth the rush to get the 3rd one done.

And a quick update. I'm now no longer an OCA student. The options given me were to extend by three months but this would decrease the next course time by those three months.

I've been struggling to complete the work to a level I want to achieve in the timescales set by OCA and personal/family/work commitments. At level 2 there's a lot of reading and research and I've struggled to keep up even with an hour a day and putting aside a day at the weekend.

In the back of my mind is also the rising costs. When I started each module was £595. Now that universities have increased fees, level 2 courses at £1480 are a little harder to find the money for.
I'm hoping that at another time in my life I can restart the course. I have 70% of documentary completed, so might just carry on with it in my time, redoing parts that were light, then reapply and effectively resubmit my work as a whole.

Dunno yet, but there's a big hole at the moment.

well im off it too now. Just finished History of Western art 1 which i loved, but looking at the last 2 photo modules there isn't anything in them that im remotely interested in. To spend £950 and be under time pressure due to taking too long on module 2 would just suck any joy out of photography for me so i dont think i'll bother. I've loved the art history side of things though so might pick up on that at a later date. Its bee a fun few years though and i'd reccomend OCA to anyone who might be interested even if its just to do a module or 2.

It turned out to be a good decision at this point. Work has been stupidly busy the last two months and I wouldn't have been able to meet the extended deadline anyway.
I'm enjoying the extra free time but there is a little hole left. I'm still continuing to read and research. It's opened a whole new are of photography for me.

Back