OCA The Art of Photography Course Discussion - Part 2

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Planning and preparation are things that I'm not great at although I have been improving. With the time constraints that everyone is aware of, I often just dive in and give it a go and see what comes out of it.

Although I'm not doing a good job at showing it in my blog, I do spend a lot of time looking at other images so I often find that once I've had a go at something, it sparks some inspiration that could be related back to something I've seen previously or give me completely new ideas.

I got my Assignment 4 feed back a week or so ago - http://bushtography.wordpress.com/2...-applying-lighting-techniques-tutor-feedback/

I don't really find it positive or negative but at least there are tips for improvement.

Although I've not done any of the exercises towards assignment 5, I went out at the weekend to a classic car show to try and get everything I need for the assignment (a few of the images are on my flickr site already). So far, I think things are looking alright. Time to work through the exercises to see if they make me change my mind.

In terms of planning I often make notes in a note book or just mental notes in my head. Sometimes when I out I see things and plan to revisit at a later date with a camera

At times I've just gone off in my car and stopped at something I see interesting.

I think for TAOP there are a lot of exercises and thought to go into them and sometimes creatively you can get stumped. I guess the trick sometimes is to just not over think things. You can find a lot of interesting things in your house and garden, or local street/road

So the trick is not to give-up and also not to worry if you get blocked at any point

Planning and preparation are things that I'm not great at although I have been improving. With the time constraints that everyone is aware of, I often just dive in and give it a go and see what comes out of it.

Me to, I leave everything to the last minute. Particularly with uploading stuff to my blog.

Me to, I leave everything to the last minute. Particularly with uploading stuff to my blog.

We seem to be taking the same approach :) I left all my blog work to the end for the light module and it was a nightmare writing up all those, mostly in one weekend. It wasn't a good idea.

Thanks for the advice everyone. My study folder has arrived, and I am hoping to start work on Thursday, but I am also waiting for a welcome email to let me onto the OCA student website where I guess I will get details of my tutor etc.

Yep - thanks everyone, good to know your thoughts.
BTW @FF, I *totally* over think things, this is a common problem of mine :)

Hi all,

I am back with the living :) I had to go and buy a new PC, it was going to cost me £200 to get the old one fixed with a new hard drive etc and check it all, and for £299 i got a new one that runs one hell of a lot faster and even treated myself to a new monitor as well (it's amazing how a better screen makes my crap images look worse.....lol).

As to the back up drive problem, thankfully no images were lost, and what i found was that for some reason the back up was saving 2 empty files up to 5 times a day, so when i hadn't done any physical work there were still those to go through. As a lesson to those just starting, if you haven't got a back up system in place do it NOW, i thought i had lost loads and for £100 you can get a 2TB external drive, it will pay you back in the long term.

And now to the photography, I have just spoken to my tutor about assignment 4, he has said although there were some negative bits, he could see that i was still learning and applying the things he had picked me up on before. It wasn't a waste of time and that i should stop thinking like that, and there are a couple of images that i should retake (happy bunny time), the chat was good, as although you can say stuff by email, it is nice to have a frank conversation.

Simon still thinks that as i am wanting to go for the formal assessment, then there should be no problems (ok i won't be at the 90-100% level i know that as i am not artistic enough), and as it stands i am going to look at the March submission, to give me time to go back through my assignments and tweak/retake some of the images he has picked up on and reflect this in my blog (he has said i need to show more of my thinking in my blog).

To those who have just started, there is a wealth of knowledge here, don't feel afraid to ask what you think is a stupid question, as you will get stuck at times (we all have) and sometimes all it takes is one of your fellow TAoP students to give you a different perspective on things and the clouds part and the sky is clear (it is always cloudy in my head).

Where i have let myself down is not looking enough at others blogs, i feel that it's cheating, but i have been encouraged to do this, as it helps with ideas (don't look at mine though as you will go backwards...he he he)

Reidy - Glad you are up and running. In terms of looking at others blogs this should be encouraged not discouraged - reasons:

a) if you were doing this in a bricks and mortar Uni you would be seeing other students work all the time and also talking about ideas etc. This is completely normal and is certainly encouraged by the OCA. It may at worst simply give you encouragement to experiment and try other things

b) Looking at other Photographers work, Pro / Amatuer / Beginner is perfectly normal. How else to fashions and trends get started :D and how else do we learn / set aspirations

c) The OCA say that this degree course is a journey to discover our own voices in our photographic approach. This doesn't mean we have one just yet. The whole world is influenced but what other people do - it doesnit mean you are stealing other people's ideas, simply be encouraged to follow your own. I saw the other day a creative image of laces on a shoe - I would never have dreamed of taking an image of a shoe but it showed me anything is possible as the image looked great

Also in terms of getting constructive criticism we may need to look at this objectively and also take the positive comments as extreme praise. Not only are we learning, this is not a GCSE course, its not an A level course - its a degree :D Its meant to be difficult. On the plus side we are learning so much more and also learning how to be more critical of our work. I lokoed at my earlier work / assignments as part of TAOP from just 12 months ago and I can see a big difference in what I do now. I think the OCA / tutors are looking to ensure that we continue to make progress no matter what level we started at

As an aside, I sometimes watch master chef and its amazing how even the professional chef judges / host have completely differeing views of a final product. The same also applies to art and everything else thats creative unlike some subjects where there is only 1 correct answer

Well i have had a productive day today, got my mojo back for an hour or two.

Managed to get images taken for the rain and evidence of action exercises (had to make the most of the rain and i have gone all arty and done something a little different to what i would normally do) yes, it's in focus.....lol

Fratton, i know what you mean about other peoples work, part of me just thinks i am cheating and need to get that idea out of my head.:bang:maybe i should do this.

I looked at other students work to try to make sure I wasn't doing the same. Sometimes the obvious thought for an exercise is the same everyone else has done, so you can think of something different.

I looked at other students work to try to make sure I wasn't doing the same. Sometimes the obvious thought for an exercise is the same everyone else has done, so you can think of something different.

Byker,

Thank you for that. I know that i should be looking more, and now that it has been brought up by my tutor as well, i will be stalking you all now :LOL:

As i am on a development day at work (so i can do photography stuff) i have had a good day so far, just published these two:

http://markslearninglog.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/evidence-of-action/

http://markslearninglog.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/rain/

If anybody is bored or fancies a laugh, then free to to have a look.

Byker,

Thank you for that. I know that i should be looking more, and now that it has been brought up by my tutor as well, i will be stalking you all now :LOL:

As i am on a development day at work (so i can do photography stuff) i have had a good day so far, just published these two:

http://markslearninglog.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/evidence-of-action/

http://markslearninglog.wordpress.com/2013/08/23/rain/

If anybody is bored or fancies a laugh, then free to to have a look.

Interesting (y) I've also got the chance to get on with some of the exercises today. My narrative story is baking in the oven as we speak ;) and then I'm going to attempt evidence of action. I like what you've done with yours. Think I'm going to try and setup a spillage.

What are you cooking? Can I have some.....yummy

Just written up the symbols exercise as well (on a roll today). Think going to have a tea break as my brain can't cope :)

Byker,

I did have everyones blogs in a single post. I guess it's time to update that.

Spillage, I was messing with a various things, based on a waves bottle I had.

99611274.jpg

This has Ribera in the bottle, taken on a white background, then inverted in post for the freeky blue colour. The crisscross grinding is from the base. It was a gridded plastic backing from the inside of a bust monitor.

Spillage, I was messing with a various things, based on a waves bottle I had.

This has Ribera in the bottle, taken on a white background, then inverted in post for the freeky blue colour. The crisscross grinding is from the base. It was a gridded plastic backing from the inside of a bust monitor.

This looks awesome, Byker (y)

Ta should say Ribena. Except apple iPads decide to spell it differently. I must have another go at that sometime. The bottle is from one of those stalls/shops that sell spirits and oils from big jars.

Hi all,

It would seem I'm quite late joining the party here however I have read intently the last 34 pages as background info on the OCA Photography degree.

I have recently made a massive life change and left a full time job (restaurant management) due to simply not enjoying it anymore. My real passion in life is Photography and Design.

I am now keen to sign up for the AOP (and subsequently the full 360 credits). My question is... How quickly could someone complete the entire degree if one were able to commit 40 odd hours / week to it??

Look forward to your responses. All help will be genuinely appreciated.

Hi all,

It would seem I'm quite late joining the party here however I have read intently the last 34 pages as background info on the OCA Photography degree.

I have recently made a massive life change and left a full time job (restaurant management) due to simply not enjoying it anymore. My real passion in life is Photography and Design.

I am now keen to sign up for the AOP (and subsequently the full 360 credits). My question is... How quickly could someone complete the entire degree if one were able to commit 40 odd hours / week to it??

Look forward to your responses. All help will be genuinely appreciated.

Hi John,

Think this is an interesting one. They say as part time doing 8 hours a week, you can do it in 7 years. There have been occasions when i have not been able to get out with the camera or do theory stuff for a couple of weeks (work and then by the time you get home, you just need sleep and time with family, and prefer to do it when my brain is in the mood).

I think commiting 40+ hours a week, may sound ok, but there will be times your brain won't want to do anything. Sometimes it all clicks and i have been able to get a couple of photo shoots done on the same day, then it is just the write ups.

I think if you really were able to get on and get a decent work flow going, you should be able to do 3 a year (however as you go on they will get more technical/arty so i would expect them to take longer).

Have you looked at how long it would take in a Uni to do the equivalent course as that may give you some idea.

I'd say you could do it in 2-2.5 years. You'd need to be working on multiple modules at the same time and be dedicated to all the reading you'd need to do.

Having said that, I don't know if you'd get the most out of it if you did it that way. I think I could have done my full tine degree quicker than the pace it was taught but I'll never know how much I'd have missed taking in if it was a quicker pace.

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking 2-3 years.

The dream is to have a job in a field that I love (after 14 years in one I didn't). Yes, it's a big financial commitment but I guess sometimes you've got to jump in with both feet.

Anyone else here fast-tracking this course? My plan is to hold down a job that pays the bills (wife works too, no dependants) whilst committing as much time and effort as possible into the degree.

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking 2-3 years.

The dream is to have a job in a field that I love (after 14 years in one I didn't). Yes, it's a big financial commitment but I guess sometimes you've got to jump in with both feet.

Anyone else here fast-tracking this course? My plan is to hold down a job that pays the bills (wife works too, no dependants) whilst committing as much time and effort as possible into the degree.

Bloody hell John,

When i read your first post, i imagined that you would solely be doing the course, not going out and working also.

I honestly think that trying to do all that in 2-3 years will be a struggle. You will have numerous times where you think you have got an exercise/assignment nailed, then after doing it, you realise you have done something wrong and setting yourself with a short timescale i think you may just push it a little.

I had this with one, got behind, played catch up and it went pete tong, my tutor says he would rather i delay the assignment date than out in sub standard work.

Why do you need the degree before you get into the field? Is there a specific role that you are going for that requires this level of qualification before you start? If not, why not have a word with people and see if you can get work whilst learning (sure you will learn quicker as well as you can absorb the knowledge as doing it daily).

Bloody hell John,

When i read your first post, i imagined that you would solely be doing the course, not going out and working also.

I honestly think that trying to do all that in 2-3 years will be a struggle. You will have numerous times where you think you have got an exercise/assignment nailed, then after doing it, you realise you have done something wrong and setting yourself with a short timescale i think you may just push it a little.

I had this with one, got behind, played catch up and it went pete tong, my tutor says he would rather i delay the assignment date than out in sub standard work.

Why do you need the degree before you get into the field? Is there a specific role that you are going for that requires this level of qualification before you start? If not, why not have a word with people and see if you can get work whilst learning (sure you will learn quicker as well as you can absorb the knowledge as doing it daily).

My issue is I have no experience in this other than being an avid amateur. Therefore my thoughts are that I'll need a decent qualification to get a foot in the door of any role.

The other issue is skill. OK, I enjoy photography and I like to think I've got the creative side required however my technical knowledge is rusty to say the least.

Should I be hitting any other streams of learning to cover the technical angle or will the course develop this satisfactorily?

When I was unemployed I spent the morning job hunting and the afternoon working on the course.
If you've an artistic bent then 40 hours a week would see you do it in the 2.5-3 years you suggest, but there's more to it than just doing the exercises. There's reading, exhibition visits.

Having a job as well I would suggest would make it difficult, or stop the enjoyment and turn it into a chore. If you did want to do it in 3 years then I'd be tempted to become a mature student and concentrate on it fully.

However, is a degree needed for employment opportunities? I'd have thought a good portfolio would be better, depending on what field y wish to move into.

That was what I was going to ask Byker.
What specific field do you want to go into? Are you able to spend tine with that style of photographer in your area?
I understand where you are coming from with the qualification side (I am doing this course so that should a position come up within my organisation for a photographer, I can show I am trying to better myself), however I think an employer would prefer as Byker said a strong portfolio showing you can actually do the job, not just talk about it.

There is a minimum limit I think of 3 years as per an ordinary degree.

This is not a bricks and mortar degree so whilst virtual class mates and virtual tutors are good there is a lot we miss out on doing a distance learning course

Why are you doing the degree; is it to get a degree in Photography or to learn about photography and become a better photographer? Some might say that its not the end result but its the journey.

You don't need a degree to be a photographer.

Its worth spending some time evaluating why you want to do it since this will be the element that drives you to continue and complete. From my perspective its simply to get better and to understand the elements of photography so much more - both technically philosophically -

I've almost completed TAOP and I feel I've improved so much and my understanding has so moved on from when I started - I hope this continues

Just got assignment 2 back and I was a little nervous about it, but thought there were a few strong images but my tutor really liked it, the approach and the images. Phew. After dpp I wasnt confident about my images and thought process.

That was what I was going to ask Byker.
What specific field do you want to go into? Are you able to spend tine with that style of photographer in your area?
I understand where you are coming from with the qualification side (I am doing this course so that should a position come up within my organisation for a photographer, I can show I am trying to better myself), however I think an employer would prefer as Byker said a strong portfolio showing you can actually do the job, not just talk about it.

I spent 4 years shooting product photography for my last employer. I just showed what I could do and kept doing it.

TAOP - Assignment 5 Completed and Sent-Off
http://warrenjonesphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/taop-assignment-5-narrative-and.html

I'll be submitting TAOP for formal assessment in November so there is some work I need to do for this. I have now also just started DPP so whilst relief and enjoyment at my studying of TAOP is now complete, subject to Tutor feedback, a new challenge now awaits

I really enjoyed doing TAOP - at times I struggled but I feel much more competent now than I was before....clearly still at the bottom of the curve but I do feel I'm moving upwards :D

Just got assignment 2 back and I was a little nervous about it, but thought there were a few strong images but my tutor really liked it, the approach and the images. Phew. After dpp I wasnt confident about my images and thought process.

That's good news. I read on one of the OCA forums one of the DPP students mentioned there appeared a lot of freedom in DPP photographically but as a result he thought his DPP formal assessment a low mark and as a result of this

It will be interesting to see how I get on with DPP - but at least now know I will likely be assessed quite hard

TAOP - Assignment 5 Completed and Sent-Off
http://warrenjonesphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/taop-assignment-5-narrative-and.html

I'll be submitting TAOP for formal assessment in November so there is some work I need to do for this. I have now also just started DPP so whilst relief and enjoyment at my studying of TAOP is now complete, subject to Tutor feedback, a new challenge now awaits

I really enjoyed doing TAOP - at times I struggled but I feel much more competent now than I was before....clearly still at the bottom of the curve but I do feel I'm moving upwards :D

Well done, Warren. I'm not to far off getting the last module finished either. I've got the assignment done but need to finish a few of the exercises still. I've not decided about DPP yet but at the moment think I will give it a go.

That's good news. I read on one of the OCA forums one of the DPP students mentioned there appeared a lot of freedom in DPP photographically but as a result he thought his DPP formal assessment a low mark and as a result of this

It will be interesting to see how I get on with DPP - but at least now know I will likely be assessed quite hard

This was people and place. I'm really happy shooting people. I didn't have a good relationship with my tutor and he just criticised all my work, so much I almost gave up. It really knocked my confidence for a good 6 months and I'm just starting to get it back.

Dpp followed by people and place is my route and I think right for me.

Last edited:
Hi All,
Great reading about everyone's experiences of this course. I plan to start in October with TAOP and am really looking forward to it. What appeals to me, strangely, is that it isn't a walk in the park and is actually a challenge. I think that some of the other courses I've looked in to take your money and don't really care what you learn and whether you become a better photographer or not. This course does seem different. Hopefully I'll be posting on here about my experiences in the coming weeks and months.
Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris and welcome to the 'group'. Any questions feel free to ask as at the beginning it can be quite daunting.

Cheers Byker, I've already picked up a lot of info from you and the other contributors and its been really helpful, especially looking though the various blogs. Looking forward to getting started now.
All the best
Chris

Back