Occultation of Mars

Excellent work David ;)

I never realised it was occulted last night. Must take more notice of these things - not that I'd be keen to go out at that time in the morning at -5. The Moon and Mars were certainly lovely last night. A friend of mine said because Mars is so bright and point like (to the unaided eye) he saw an almost 3D effect where the Moon looked further away than Mars.
Well done - it was worth the effort.

Fabulous David (y) What was the setup for that shot?

Fabulous David (y) What was the setup for that shot?
I used my OM-1 with 300mm f/4 pro lens and MC14 teleconverter. (So FF equivalent of 840mm) Mounted on a tripod. Camera in Manual, manually focussed using image enlargement.
ISO 250, 1/1600 sec, f/5.6. Single shot.

I used my OM-1 with 300mm f/4 pro lens and MC14 teleconverter. (So FF equivalent of 840mm) Mounted on a tripod. Camera in Manual, manually focussed using image enlargement.
ISO 250, 1/1600 sec, f/5.6. Single shot.
Thanks, I can manage 600mm on my M1 MKIII (with a much lower quality lens I might add) so I might give it a go myself. Thanks for sharing, I always love seeing these type of images.

If ? it's clear tonight I may have a go with my Canon 600 F4 and either a 1.7 or 2 times . Will I survive the cold , Brrrr -5 here last night.

If ? it's clear tonight I may have a go with my Canon 600 F4 and either a 1.7 or 2 times . Will I survive the cold , Brrrr -5 here last night.
Sorry, but you missed it. It happens every 26 months. With that gear though you can get some great moon detail.

Last edited:
Back