October windows update, today?

Certainly for business customers using WSUS or SCCM Microsoft releases major updates in months 3 & 9 but you don't get them until the following month and they are six months in arrears.

Therefore it sounds logical this is last October's update.

It may be different for home users though.

it might have been unable to complete the update before now.
does it have a shortage of space, is it often connected to a metered network?

The initial October 2018 v1809 update had issues and as I recall they pulled it.......................but I have seen mention & depending on the computer brand (e.g. Dell) on some fora that the rollout 'restarted' sometime in Jan or Feb.

Having said that I postponed the update, I have W10 Pro 64bit, (not when I might have been offered it?) because of the aforementioned issue!

Now, again what I have read is that the next update v1903 (query have I got that number right?) is due in May 2019. AFAIK it does not need v1809 installed to update to that version.

As already mentioned, the October update was delayed for bugs, but it's 'disappointing' if they left the October splash creen in there.

Thanks for the replies everyone, it is a home laptop, an acer. I have been low on space a few times as the laptop only has 2 250gb hdds, but not constantly low.

There was no option to postpone the update, the laptop had slowed right down, no mention of downloading updates until I managed to get it to load windows update check and it showed it was downloading 2 updates, I had to leave it as I couldn't do a thing with it as it was running so slow, this appears to happen when updates need to be installed, the laptop never used to be this slow, must be getting old...

AFAIK the setting to delay such a significant update is not in W10 Home, only in the W100 Pro version. But even the delay is limited to 365 days!

if you are running low on space run diskcleanup and select delete old system files.
it will then show you all the old files still being kept that can go.

FWIW

I reset the delay to 30 days and yesterday the Win updates started to download the v1809 update.......................installed this evening and...............

So far so good, though never measured any timings but the PC just seems snappier and though it has correctly used my most recent calibration profile everything looks 'that bit better' and I am sure it is not 100% my imagination :)

PS when I get to see that v1903 is pushed to my PC I will wait to install it for a month or so primarily because of the debacle at first release of v1809!

Last edited:
Back