Off camera flash setup??

Name
Ashley
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Since I'm the "Guy with the camera" at our place, I've been approached by my MD compile a gallery of stock images that our website providers can use as and when.. Included in that gallery are to be external shots of our depots but more importantly candid shots of our employee's going about their day to day duties etc.

I'd be shooting in Heavy Truck workshop's under bonnets/vehicles up on lifts and also in office/reception area's and am pretty confident that one on camera flash gun isn't really going to suffice; So I'm leaning towards an off camera flash set up...

I think I may have some leverage in purchasing new kit if required, so was thinking along the lines of

Tokina 11-16mm (for the external shots of our buildings)
Flash gun & stand
Remote trigger
Soft box/umbrella??

Any advice appreciated..

Thanks

Can't help directly as obviously what you need will depend on what you are setting up and the shots you have in mind. Although you want new kit, I've often found it takes a while to get used to it and get the best out of it. As you don't have off camera flash and a wide, this takes a while to get right. I've done projects for work but photography is part of my job. The pictures for the workplace I did were seen by the reps from the massive telecoms company we use and the pictures went on all their sales promotion too! Although shooting candids sounds the way to go, you have to be good to be discreet and the employees forget about you. Many don't, they pull faces and you find small things that just don't look right but maybe you will be lucky after a while. Set up shots are better. I'm guessing the bosses are non-photographers and are looking for some great promo shots on the cheap. Many shots that look like candids aren't. They bring in models, have lighting set up, stylists, creative directors, make up, freshly pressed workwear with ties tied and badges all set up right and then processed by professional photoshoppers. Things like shadows, spots on faces, refections, mixed ambient lighting, hidden logos, data on screens have to be sorted, You may be able to do all this, but personally I'd either think twice and consider whether you can do it, but, if you can, set up some shots using some spare staff or friends before doing the real shoots. Softboxes and reflectors are always good to have.

Soft box/umbrella??

Just by asking the question shows that you did not do your homework.
There is so much on the web to inform you about this. I would personally
use an large silver umbrella because this is an on-location work.

It sounds as though you're going to be shooting in a lot of unpredictable and awkwardly tight spaces. Getting lights in the right place to manage shadows and specular highlights is likely to be tricky, especially if fitted with large modifiers.

It depends how much work you want to put in to practise with the lights. If you want to be up and running fairly quickly then I'd be inclined to start off by adding a smidge of fill to the ambient light - so a large modifier on the camera axis. The cheapest would be a largish shoot through umbrella with a speedlite, as close to the subject as practical.

Softboxes are easier to control - but big ones need bare bulb, so more than a flashgun. Will you have mains power available?

Perhaps you could dig out some sample images of the sort of thing you're wanting to produce?

The tokina is a cracking lens but you have to make sure you get it absolutely levely to avoid converging verticals which can ruin architectural shots. If you have the scope to fit everything in that you want to while maintaining the level then happy days but its worth consideration.

Thanks for the comments and advice guys. Taking everything into consideration I think I'm going to politely decline the offer... (y)(y)

Just by asking the question shows that you did not do your homework.
There is so much on the web to inform you about this.

And Kodiak, thank you for your advice it's appreciated.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you can't make the assumption that you have.

Undoubtedly the internet's a wealth of knowledge but quite often it's a lot to take in, especially when there are so many "experts" sitting behind a keyboard. So because I'm researching a technique which admittedly isn't my strong point, I chose to come onto the forum to ask people who are a lot more in the know than I am as to receive a more focussed response.

Last edited:
to receive a more focussed response.

I sure did not mean to offend you!

Alright then…
I would recommend, as I said I would do, to use a large silver
umbrella. A jiffy to built up and break down and the best way
to use every single photon coming out of your flash when used
properly.

Hi,

Since I'm the "Guy with the camera" at our place, I've been approached by my MD compile a gallery of stock images that our website providers can use as and when.. Included in that gallery are to be external shots of our depots

You might get away without flash for much of this
but more importantly candid shots of our employee's going about their day to day duties etc.

I'd be shooting in Heavy Truck workshop's under bonnets/vehicles
often benefits for at least 2 lights; something to light up what they are looking at and secondly to light up the viewer
up on lifts
a different challenge again
and also in office/reception area's
and different lighting again, of all situations this could need lighting with a lighter spread
and am pretty confident that one on camera flash gun isn't really going to suffice; So I'm leaning towards an off camera flash set up...

I think I may have some leverage in purchasing new kit if required, so was thinking along the lines of

Flash gun & stand
Remote trigger
Soft box/umbrella??

Any advice appreciated..

Thanks

As a project this could provide valuable experience and I would approach each situation as a separate challenge.

Mike

Hi,

Since I'm the "Guy with the camera" at our place, I've been approached by my MD compile a gallery of stock images that our website providers can use as and when.. Included in that gallery are to be external shots of our depots but more importantly candid shots of our employee's going about their day to day duties etc.

I'd be shooting in Heavy Truck workshop's under bonnets/vehicles up on lifts and also in office/reception area's and am pretty confident that one on camera flash gun isn't really going to suffice; So I'm leaning towards an off camera flash set up...

Flash gun & stand
Remote trigger
Soft box/umbrella??

Any advice appreciated..

Thanks

Surely it would be cheaper and more sensible for your employer to book a photographer than buy you a load of new gear?

like Mike Weeks states "You might get away without flash for much of this" but depending on available light some shots might require to slow a shutter speed.
As to using flash...I think ONE flashgun might get you alot of what your looking for. As to some advice I'll let you read the following link...http://neilvn.com/tangents/practical-tutorial-manual-flash-exposure/

Hope this helps...

like Mike Weeks states "You might get away without flash for much of this" but depending on available light some shots might require to slow a shutter speed.
As to using flash...I think ONE flashgun might get you alot of what your looking for. As to some advice I'll let you read the following link...http://neilvn.com/tangents/practical-tutorial-manual-flash-exposure/

Hope this helps...
Thank you for that VERY useful link, I have bookmarked it for my reference.

Back