Off-the shelf website advice

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

It looks like I may have to scrap my current website. I've been told that it has malware on it and if I don't remove it my site will be suspended from Jan 15th. Someone is looking at it for me at the moment but I'm not sure it's going to be fixable.

But one way or another because the old site is built in a very old version of Joomla I'm going to have to get a new site anyway. I'm looking at one of the off--the-shelf places like Smugmug, Photium, Photodeck or Zenfolio as I'm not very technically adept.

I'm thinking that something with a Lightroom plug-in would simplify matters; and it would make sense to have print purchasing built in, in which case a UK Lab would make sense.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Another vote for Adobe Portfolio. It doesn't have print purchasing, but it is "free" assuming you have Lightroom CC and easy to set up/update.

Previously I have used Zenfolio as the sales packages are very flexible dependant on the package you opt for, however you do need to sell quite a few prints to cover your costs. Now I have started to use Adobe Portfolio due to its simplicity. If you simply want to show images then it is great, however the options to share images are some what limited. For example it doesn’t support unique URL’s for individual photos or sharing to social media.

Another vote for Adobe Portfolio if all you want is a simple website. Mine was built on the platform and although it's nothing fancy it does a decent job of showcasing your images, and you can include a contact form so people can email you.

Previously I have used Zenfolio as the sales packages are very flexible dependant on the package you opt for, however you do need to sell quite a few prints to cover your costs. Now I have started to use Adobe Portfolio due to its simplicity. If you simply want to show images then it is great, however the options to share images are some what limited. For example it doesn’t support unique URL’s for individual photos or sharing to social media.

Another vote for Adobe Portfolio. It doesn't have print purchasing, but it is "free" assuming you have Lightroom CC and easy to set up/update.

Another vote for Adobe Portfolio if all you want is a simple website. Mine was built on the platform and although it's nothing fancy it does a decent job of showcasing your images, and you can include a contact form so people can email you.

Yes, I really can see the advantages of Portfolio. I don't have an Adobe subscription at the moment but taking one out could be killing two birds with stone. (Although I vowed I never would.......:LOL:).

But I'm hankering after a site where I could sell my work as well so it is a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Has anyone used Photodeck? That seems to tick all the boxes. Or I wonder if it would be possible to add some kind of selling module to portfolio.....

Fortunately my current site is now "infection-free" so I have a bit of breathing space to make a decision.

I’ve just been looking at The Image File as an option. It looks as though it prices based on the number of images you have rather than by what features you want. Looks like a reasonable option of serious amateurs. Has anybody else looked at them over say Smugmug

I’ve just been looking at The Image File
They offer this: "Automated order fulfilment through partner labs, self-fulfil or use your own lab."

Partner labs listed include Loxley, Point 101 and DSCL.

They offer this: "Automated order fulfilment through partner labs, self-fulfil or use your own lab."

Partner labs listed include Loxley, Point 101 and DSCL.
They also don’t take commission which is a bonus. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience of using them

The Image File looks like a possibility. Thanks for mentioning it.

I’ve just been looking at The Image File as an option. It looks as though it prices based on the number of images you have rather than by what features you want. Looks like a reasonable option of serious amateurs. Has anybody else looked at them over say Smugmug

You have lightroom CC?

What about Adobe portfolio. It's included with CC and you can sync galleries with lightroom collections.

OK for a pretty basic portfolio and quick to try out. I was going to use one for interior site but quickly ran in to very basic layout problems that you simply can't overcome... Stuff like selecting header images in each gallery or image sizes!

My site is a reasonable example of what it may look like. There have been a few very nasty issues last year; it seems to have been quietly fixed. Some weird things may happen here and there and there are fees for every stupid little thing. Copyright lawyers thing doesn't really work that well. Templates had no major refresh for a few years so they are in necessary maintenance only mode. Sooner or later it will have to give way for a custom built wordpress business empire :) You have to constantly update this thing, install secondary verification, change default admin name, ban admin logins from other countries and all sorts of other things to keep it secured but its certainly possible against small type criminals.

I'm really liking the look of The Image File, though going from nothing to this may be too big a step.

Think I'll try Adobe first as it's free and keep TIF in mind for later, though the fact this may mean double the work [emoji848]

OK for a pretty basic portfolio and quick to try out. I was going to use one for interior site but quickly ran in to very basic layout problems that you simply can't overcome... Stuff like selecting header images in each gallery or image sizes!

My site is a reasonable example of what it may look like. There have been a few very nasty issues last year; it seems to have been quietly fixed. Some weird things may happen here and there and there are fees for every stupid little thing. Copyright lawyers thing doesn't really work that well. Templates had no major refresh for a few years so they are in necessary maintenance only mode. Sooner or later it will have to give way for a custom built wordpress business empire :) You have to constantly update this thing, install secondary verification, change default admin name, ban admin logins from other countries and all sorts of other things to keep it secured but its certainly possible against small type criminals.

Yes, I read you have had p[roblems with Zenfolio but glad to hear it has been sorted, quietly or otherwise. My guess would be that no site - off the shelf or custom built - would ever be without its minor problems. If I had to make a decision this minute it would definitely be the Image File. However I still have time to procrastinate......:LOL:

Format may be worth looking at. I use it for my own website. It’s a portfolio platform designed for artists, photographers, illustrators etc. There is an e-commerce option which enables print sales, although, I haven’t used this so can’t comment.

https://www.format.com/

FWIW

Looking at Image File it seems to be a well polished offering with the only prime difference between the packages being the number of images you can display.

Compared to Photium it appears to be better value when I look at the "Entry" vs "Light" respectively, 500 vs 300 images, apparently a more integrated structure eCommerce aimed at sales in all forms in including self fullfilment plus lower cost ~ £72 vs £80 per year. Photium eCommerce is not as far as I can tell as well crafted???

What I have not looked into yet, bearing in mind both are template sites, is how much personalisation IF lets you do compared to Photium.

I might trial IF to get see what it has to offer.

Last edited:
Yes, I really can see the advantages of Portfolio. I don't have an Adobe subscription at the moment but taking one out could be killing two birds with stone. (Although I vowed I never would.......:LOL:).

But I'm hankering after a site where I could sell my work as well so it is a bit of a dilemma at the moment. Has anyone used Photodeck? That seems to tick all the boxes. Or I wonder if it would be possible to add some kind of selling module to portfolio.....

Fortunately my current site is now "infection-free" so I have a bit of breathing space to make a decision.
The reason I went with Adobe CC was because portfolio meant I could drop my zenfolio website and made the CC subscription cheaper.

You could link to an external sales site. I think it was pic fair that I recently looked at.

Adobe portfolio is ok but there are some improvements that could be done. There is also no blog function. I’ve got around by using adobe spark to create blog style posts. It’s not brilliant but a workable option. Just waiting for adobe to add customisable web addresses to spark posts so it’s hosted on my website rather than theirs. That doesn’t seem to be coming any time soon ☹️

Last edited:
The reason I went with Adobe CC was because portfolio meant I could drop my zenfolio website and made the CC subscription cheaper.

You could link to an external sales site. I think it was pic fair that I recently looked at.

The only downside I’ve found with Adobe is that you can’t share the images or create individual URL’s, you can create a URL for the Collection, by using the Share to Web within LR but not individual images. I was looking at a way to drop my Flickr account which I mainly use to host images to share on forums and to use my own site instead. If only Adobe would add these 2 features the. It would certainly be an strong contender for amateur photographers

The only downside I’ve found with Adobe is that you can’t share the images or create individual URL’s, you can create a URL for the Collection, by using the Share to Web within LR but not individual images. I was looking at a way to drop my Flickr account which I mainly use to host images to share on forums and to use my own site instead. If only Adobe would add these 2 features the. It would certainly be an strong contender for amateur photographers
Those two functions would be really useful as I’m thinking of posting less on flickr on the next year. Sadly I wouldn’t bet on it anytime soon. I’ve been waiting on customisable spark URLs. This request was raised in 2016 and they have been ‘actively working on it’ since March 2018. Starting to doubt it will ever happen!!!

https://adobespark.uservoice.com/fo...racking_code=3f4f8f4e8910cf706b26d1c85b88d694

FWIW

Looking at Image File it seems to be a well polished offering with the only prime difference between the packages being the number of images you can display.

Compared to Photium it appears to be better value when I look at the "Entry" vs "Light" respectively, 500 vs 300 images, apparently a more integrated structure eCommerce aimed at sales in all forms in including self fullfilment plus lower cost ~ £72 vs £80 per year. Photium eCommerce is not as far as I can tell as well crafted???

What I have not looked into yet, bearing in mind both are template sites, is how much personalisation IF lets you do compared to Photium.

I might trial IF to get see what it has to offer.
Very useful info. Thanks

One of the things l liked about image File was that you get the same features no matter which plan you are on. So you can start on the cheapest plan and as you add further images go up through the plans in stages. For £90 they will do all the niggly things for you that are such a pain like incorporating your blog and pointing your domain name at your site etc.

I must say l don't find their sample websites very inspiring tho.

J

Back