Off to Hong Kong, now....what do I "need"? (+General Info)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

As the title says I'm lucky enough to be jetting off to Hong Kong in May and keep asking myself the question....what will I need?

Heres a simple list of what I have at the moment and will no doubt be taking:

Canon 40D (x2 Batteries)
Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 (non OS)
Lowepro Fastpack 350 (so plenty of room)

Macbook Pro (for backups)

Now, I know I'm going to need a tripod for the night/Landscape shots and was thinking manfrotto 190X PROB & ball head?

I'm not keen on lumping the fastpack around so I'm after a smaller bag for day to day was thinking something like the billingham Hadley Pro?

Now for the glass.......

Although I am on a bit of a budget I see no point in flying half way around the world without the right kit to make the best of whats in front of me so I have been looking into maybe hiring a lens or two?

see:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=265366&highlight=hire

I've been leaning towards the canon 24-105 F/4L IS, looks like a great walkabout lens & the IS (3 stops) could come in very handy in low light, not forgetting the macro. The only drawback would be the equivalent 38mm on the 40D leaving my trusty sigma for the landscapes of the harbour/front/peak?

Thats my current plan, however I must say I am relatively new to photography so any advice would be gratefully received.........

EDIT:

Anyone with general info/advice for traveling/things to do in HK is very welcome. Seems there are rather a lot of members either been or are planning to go so happy for this to serve as a general thread for anyone with an interest in HK.

Chris

Last edited:
There's a recent "I'm off to New York" thread or something like that so have a look there as the advice should be similar.

PS Don't waste you money on a 24-105 when you've got a 17-70.

Having taken a Nikon D3 and pro 24-70mm glass on two holidays to Italy and several long weekend type trips in the UK I can say the size/weight of whatever you take will only bother you if you let it.

My photography habits have changed quite a bit since the last of those trips though so when I goto Estonia next month I'll just be taking one or two 35mm compacts and a NEX with a 16mm lens.

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the reply, that rings a bell.... I'll have look for the thread...... found a couple Hong Kong threads but mainly talk location rather than equipment.

"PS Don't waste you money on a 24-105 when you've got a 17-70."

I agree, love the Sigma it truly is a great lens, although I have never used an "L" so nothing in that range to compare it too........?

Having taken a Nikon D3 and pro 24-70mm glass on two holidays to Italy and several long weekend type trips in the UK I can say the size/weight of whatever you take will only bother you if you let it.

My photography habits have changed quite a bit since the last of those trips though so when I goto Estonia next month I'll just be taking one or two 35mm compacts and a NEX with a 16mm lens.

Thanks for your input, I have to say that has been a consideration I'm expecting it to be hot and sticky, however knowing my other half if I didn't have the camera I would have various shoe box shaped shopping bags to carry.

with this in mind I think canon 24-70L @ 950 grams could be a but of a handfull, and the ack of IS puts it behind the 24-105 for me

May will be hot and sometimes very wet. You may want something a bit wider to fit it all in but the length you have on the sigma is perhaps enough and it's a good lens. You can always buy out there if you feel you need more reach - i think the exchange rate is as good as it has been for a while. I'd also perhaps get a 50mm 1.8/1.4 for when the light goes and some of the darker streets which won't add weight. The billingham is a great bag and easy to get into. See you there!

May will be hot and sometimes very wet. You may want something a bit wider to fit it all in but the length you have on the sigma is perhaps enough and it's a good lens. You can always buy out there if you feel you need more reach - i think the exchange rate is as good as it has been for a while. I'd also perhaps get a 50mm 1.8/1.4 for when the light goes and some of the darker streets which won't add weight. The billingham is a great bag and easy to get into. See you there!

Hi Walls,

Thanks for the reply, fingered crossed for no wet wether it's not until the end of May.

The 50mm is a good idea especially for the money
and nice & light too!

Would you recommend anywhere to buy over there? would I be able to pick up the billingham much cheaper for example?

Sorry for all the questions, I do appreciate your help!

Chris

The billingham probably not. I've never got a killer deal on lenses in hk but i'd say on average you can make about a 15% saving maybe a bit more now. I go about once a year and tend to buy out there because you can often try all lenses from all manufacturers in one place. I'd stay away from shops around tsim sha tsui - they really are tourist hell but you can go down the back streets there and find some good shops with lots of stock. The only place I buy from now is a little shop Hing Lee Camera Co. 25 lyndhurst terrace, HK tel: 2544 7593. No chance of a scam in here, really nice people and the old guy knows his stuff.

I don't know of the warranty situation on the lenses now though, I think I've heard it's changed so you'd need to check that.

walls said:
The billingham probably not. I've never got a killer deal on lenses in hk but i'd say on average you can make about a 15% saving maybe a bit more now. I go about once a year and tend to buy out there because you can often try all lenses from all manufacturers in one place. I'd stay away from shops around tsim sha tsui - they really are tourist hell but you can go down the back streets there and find some good shops with lots of stock. The only place I buy from now is a little shop Hing Lee Camera Co. 25 lyndhurst terrace, HK tel: 2544 7593. No chance of a scam in here, really nice people and the old guy knows his stuff.

I don't know of the warranty situation on the lenses now though, I think I've heard it's changed so you'd need to check that.

I'll be sure to look it up, though the 50 1.8 is that Cheap anyway I may just pick one up in the classifieds!

Might be a good place to pick up a tripod, that way I also save the hassle of taking it over with me!

Cheers

You could always buy the 24-105 in Hong Kong and sell it as nearly new when you get back home (don't know if canon still do international warrenty) as that might be cheaper than renting. I bought mine a couple of years ago for £590 (hk$7500), from a shop below my flat - well away from touristy areas.

I normally use the below website to see lenses prices to aim for.
http://www.ygdragon.net/index.php?page=photo/cameraprice.htm

Last edited:
24mm on a crop is too long for a walkaround here....you want as wide as you can get really.

Everything is 'up close' here and a lot of the visual interest here comes from context, i.e. small, old things, surround by gargantuan glass and steel monoliths. The streets are pretty tight, there's not usually a lot of room to just step back. For instance, if you wanted a shot of an interesting store front, you're not going to be able to get it in without stepping in the road, which isn't good for your health here :p

Regarding buying gear, although the shops on the main drag (Nathan Road) in Tsimshatsui are largely rip off merchants, venture away from the main drag and there are some good shops.

Tin Cheung Camera is good :
http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/contact-us.php

For second hand gear, there is a shopping arcade just off Kimberley road, which is almost exclusively full of little shops whose front windows are floor to ceiling with used lenses, DSLRs, rangefinders, medium format, all sorts. Walk along Kimberley road and look for the entrance, it's not signed.

Champagne court :
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...gne+Court,+16-20+Kimberley+Rd,+Hong+Kong&z=16

Oh and when you go to the Peak, I'd recommend jumping on a bus up there (bus 15C from the ferry terminal. The tram is expensive, busy (usually queue over the hour), and you can't see a damn thing all the way up as the view is blocked by trees. The bus winds it's way up the side of Happy Valley, then comes over the south side of the island to the top, with magnificent views of Central, Happy Valley, the south coast and china sea. When you get to the top, instead of paying to go stand on the busy viewing platform, take the peak trail path through a quiet forest for 5-10 minutes, and pop out of the tree cover with a fantastic panoramic view of the city.

For hong kong a UWA is a must!!

For hong kong a UWA is a must!!

I agree with this, I took my panasonic 7-14 with me last year and used it at it's widest setting nearly all the time.

I'm off in may this year too and hope to visit the Cheung Chau Bun Festival, where a UWA will definitely be required.

+1 on the UWA. I'm off to Vegas & San Fran later this year and will probably have my 12-24Sigma on the camera for most of the city walkabouts

24mm on a crop is too long for a walkaround here....you want as wide as you can get really.

Everything is 'up close' here and a lot of the visual interest here comes from context, i.e. small, old things, surround by gargantuan glass and steel monoliths. The streets are pretty tight, there's not usually a lot of room to just step back. For instance, if you wanted a shot of an interesting store front, you're not going to be able to get it in without stepping in the road, which isn't good for your health here :p

Regarding buying gear, although the shops on the main drag (Nathan Road) in Tsimshatsui are largely rip off merchants, venture away from the main drag and there are some good shops.

Tin Cheung Camera is good :
http://www.tincheungcamera.com.hk/contact-us.php

For second hand gear, there is a shopping arcade just off Kimberley road, which is almost exclusively full of little shops whose front windows are floor to ceiling with used lenses, DSLRs, rangefinders, medium format, all sorts. Walk along Kimberley road and look for the entrance, it's not signed.

Champagne court :
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...gne+Court,+16-20+Kimberley+Rd,+Hong+Kong&z=16

Oh and when you go to the Peak, I'd recommend jumping on a bus up there (bus 15C from the ferry terminal. The tram is expensive, busy (usually queue over the hour), and you can't see a damn thing all the way up as the view is blocked by trees. The bus winds it's way up the side of Happy Valley, then comes over the south side of the island to the top, with magnificent views of Central, Happy Valley, the south coast and china sea. When you get to the top, instead of paying to go stand on the busy viewing platform, take the peak trail path through a quiet forest for 5-10 minutes, and pop out of the tree cover with a fantastic panoramic view of the city.

Thanks for that Chris, I will definatly take your advice and check them out whilst I'm there. Good call on the Peak, it's this kind of know how that is really going to make the trip.

+1 on the UWA. I'm off to Vegas & San Fran later this year and will probably have my 12-24Sigma on the camera for most of the city walkabouts

Thanks Andy/Glen/Jim,

This is getting interesting :cautious: I had thought about the sigma 10-20?

Anyone have this, or could recommend another UWA?

Chris

I agree with this, I took my panasonic 7-14 with me last year and used it at it's widest setting nearly all the time.

I'm off in may this year too and hope to visit the Cheung Chau Bun Festival, where a UWA will definitely be required.

I'm debating on whether to pick a 7-14 up when I'm over there in April/May (I think I priced it about £220 cheaper) or get a 9-18 oly over here!

Seems like there's going to be a little TP troop over there around that time :LOL:

Andy,

I spent a week in Las Vegas a couple of years ago.....sadly before I got into the black hole that is photography :D.

I is an amazing place, if you are thinking of going to the grand canyon I would highly recommend http://www.papillon.com/ they were fantastic.....we did the sunset trip landing in the bottom for lunch before flying back over the Dam.

I have just got back from a 3 day stopover in HK.

I took a 450d with Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7 (Pentax MF) and bought a 55-250mm lens. The lens used the most was the 18-50mm at the wider end. A tripod is a must, if only for the lightshow / harbour at night images.

Camera shops are everywhere, but beware of some of them in TST. I've heard of people buying equipment only to find what they have bought isn't in the box. I bought the 55-250mm in Central for about £130-00 and got to test it on the camera before I paid for it.

If you want a recommendation for a Bar / Restaurant I can recommend Aqua. It's a bar and restaurant on the 29th floor of 1 Peking Road. It's not cheap (mains around £20-30) but it does have amazing views! www.aqua.com.hk/

Also for cheap Dim Sum go to the Old Hong Kong Restaurant in the Miramar Mall off Nathan Road, this is not touristy at all unlike Maxines Palace (but Maxines is still worth visiting). www.hkoldrest.com.hk/

Send me a message if you want to know any more.

I'm debating on whether to pick a 7-14 up when I'm over there in April/May (I think I priced it about £220 cheaper) or get a 9-18 oly over here!

Seems like there's going to be a little TP troop over there around that time :LOL:

Hi Pui,

haha, yes it seems as if there will be a few, the response has been great so far.....

Maybe we should all wear a TP hat :wave:

I have just got back from a 3 day stopover in HK.

I took a 450d with Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, 50mm f1.7 (Pentax MF) and bought a 55-250mm lens. The lens used the most was the 18-50mm at the wider end. A tripod is a must, if only for the lightshow / harbour at night images.

Camera shops are everywhere, but beware of some of them in TST. I've heard of people buying equipment only to find what they have bought isn't in the box. I bought the 55-250mm in Central for about £130-00 and got to test it on the camera before I paid for it.

If you want a recommendation for a Bar / Restaurant I can recommend Aqua. It's a bar and restaurant on the 29th floor of 1 Peking Road. It's not cheap (mains around £20-30) but it does have amazing views! www.aqua.com.hk/

Also for cheap Dim Sum go to the Old Hong Kong Restaurant in the Miramar Mall off Nathan Road, this is not touristy at all unlike Maxines Palace (but Maxines is still worth visiting). www.hkoldrest.com.hk/

Send me a message if you want to know any more.

Cheers Dave,

I will look into the restaurants they sound great. Thank you for the offer if I have any questions I will drop you a message.

Chris

I went hong kong last september and will be going back next month to collect my wedding photos (woohoo!). I bought a Tamron in Sept from here. I got it for a decent price (compared to the UK) but make sure you get an international warranty card if not already covered. I tried haggling but they wouldn't move on the lens on its own but gave discounts on additional items I purchased and I got a free cat doorstop :nuts:

I'm not sure whether to take my tripod (will take a gorillapod) as I'm not keen lugging it around whilst the OH spends ALL day shopping.

I've been looking at prices of Nikon lenses and they're aren't that much cheaper and for the piece of mind I would just buy here if its only a little more. I want to get a Yongnuo flash this time but can't find anywhere that stocks them which is weird as I thought Yongnuo were a HK company.

Have a look at http://rolandlim.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/recommended-camera-shops-in-hong-kong/

If you do want to buy some equipment, it would be easier to just not bother going to Tsim Sha Tsui (unless you want second film stuff). Just go to Mong Kok, and you can walk around the chain stores (Fortress, Broadway & Citicall/Sunning) - they will sell things cheaper (the only exception being Apple products) than the price tag if you ask and throw in some extras too, or go to the above recommended Wing Shing who have two stores there. There's also a photography shopping mall (Sim City) with threee floors of shops, including the above Tin Cheung Store.
As an alternative, Sham Shui Po is like a real life eBay in terms of cheap camera knick-knacks.

The Peak is the most famous of Hong Kong's vantage points (and has shopping nearby), but there are better views to be had of the island depending on how adventurious you are feeling. Also they don't allow tripods on the Peak roof top, so is worth following the above suggested route if you want some night snaps.

Edit: Just read the above post. Are Yongnuo the cheapish flashes? I swear I have seen them in Sham Shui Po, always in stock.

Last edited:
Where's the camera gear in Sham Shui Po Rod? I've been out and about up there a few times but never really seen any photographic stores...

I'd second checking the chain stores as well, I had a mooch about Mong Kok/TST for a new tripod, and ended up finding it 30% cheaper than anywhere else on sale in Broadway...

Last edited:
I went hong kong last september and will be going back next month to collect my wedding photos (woohoo!). I bought a Tamron in Sept from here. I got it for a decent price (compared to the UK) but make sure you get an international warranty card if not already covered. I tried haggling but they wouldn't move on the lens on its own but gave discounts on additional items I purchased and I got a free cat doorstop :nuts:

I'm not sure whether to take my tripod (will take a gorillapod) as I'm not keen lugging it around whilst the OH spends ALL day shopping.

I've been looking at prices of Nikon lenses and they're aren't that much cheaper and for the piece of mind I would just buy here if its only a little more. I want to get a Yongnuo flash this time but can't find anywhere that stocks them which is weird as I thought Yongnuo were a HK company.

Have a look at http://rolandlim.wordpress.com/2007/08/26/recommended-camera-shops-in-hong-kong/

If you do want to buy some equipment, it would be easier to just not bother going to Tsim Sha Tsui (unless you want second film stuff). Just go to Mong Kok, and you can walk around the chain stores (Fortress, Broadway & Citicall/Sunning) - they will sell things cheaper (the only exception being Apple products) than the price tag if you ask and throw in some extras too, or go to the above recommended Wing Shing who have two stores there. There's also a photography shopping mall (Sim City) with threee floors of shops, including the above Tin Cheung Store.
As an alternative, Sham Shui Po is like a real life eBay in terms of cheap camera knick-knacks.

The Peak is the most famous of Hong Kong's vantage points (and has shopping nearby), but there are better views to be had of the island depending on how adventurious you are feeling. Also they don't allow tripods on the Peak roof top, so is worth following the above suggested route if you want some night snaps.

Edit: Just read the above post. Are Yongnuo the cheapish flashes? I swear I have seen them in Sham Shui Po, always in stock.

Thanks Terry/Rod

no tripods at the peak is a bit of a shame although more if I had lugged it up there before finding out I couldn't use it. Think I will definatly take the bus up and do the walk.

I'm booked in to stay at the Langham Place smack bank in Mong Kok so its good to know there is plenty of decent shops nearby. Its looking like I may need to take an empty suitcase :LOL:

Cheers Guys.

I took a tripod up the peak, but it was a small one that fit in my rucksack, I saw someone else with a massive one up there as well. If you go up to the Sky Tarrace then something like a Gorillapod might able ok to attach to the railing.

If you're after tripod shots...definitely head down the path... see map, start point is the main peak terminus where tram/bus/taxis etc all deliver you. If you keep walking it's quite a nice hour or two stroll round the peak depending on your pace

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...149344&sspn=0.00977,0.012982&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

The best view of the skyline is from TST promenade (Avenue Of Stars)....if you can bear the muzak

Last edited:

Yeah you can get them in Sham Shui Po, I can check the price if you want - I work nearby (gives me an excuse to buy more needless camera accesories:LOL:)

Where's the camera gear in Sham Shui Po Rod? I've been out and about up there a few times but never really seen any photographic stores...

There's 4 or so shops near each other on Apliu Street (2 on either side of the street) but they are tucked away behind the market stalls. I normally go to one called Ying Kee as they're normally cheaper by a few dollars. They don't really sell lenses or bodies, but you can get unknown brands of filters, tripods, bags, lighting and all other sorts of add on's you never thought you needed before and are too cheap to ignore.

Last edited:
If you're after tripod shots...definitely head down the path... see map, start point is the main peak terminus where tram/bus/taxis etc all deliver you. If you keep walking it's quite a nice hour or two stroll round the peak depending on your pace

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...149344&sspn=0.00977,0.012982&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

The best view of the skyline is from TST promenade (Avenue Of Stars)....if you can bear the muzak

Thanks Chris,

when you say 1-2 Hrs do you mean all the way round in a circle or just between the pins on the map? :thinking:

Chris

Yeah you can get them in Sham Shui Po, I can check the price if you want - I work nearby (gives me an excuse to buy more needless camera accesories:LOL:)

Would be great if you don't mind, was looking at the Youngnuo YN-467 Flash for Nikon :) They're around £52 off ebay including a diffuser.

I don't think lens matters that much, to me anyway. You just end up getting different photos, not necessarily bad, but different.

I went to Hong Kong last year with the 30D with a 50mm/1.4 on it (so about 80mm cropped) and I came back with this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymondlin/sets/72157623738640615/

Then I went to Rome with the 5Dii with a 35mm/1.4 and I came back with this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymondlin/sets/72157625486101232/

No tripod in either cases. I am going to Hong Kong again in April, not decided what lens yet but it will just be one lens 2 batteries and nothing else.

I don't think lens matters that much, to me anyway. You just end up getting different photos, not necessarily bad, but different.

I went to Hong Kong last year with the 30D with a 50mm/1.4 on it (so about 80mm cropped) and I came back with this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymondlin/sets/72157623738640615/

Then I went to Rome with the 5Dii with a 35mm/1.4 and I came back with this.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymondlin/sets/72157625486101232/

No tripod in either cases. I am going to Hong Kong again in April, not decided what lens yet but it will just be one lens 2 batteries and nothing else.

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for the response, I must say your flicker from HK is fantastic....some real gems & I'd be more than happy if I came back with a set like that.

I am leaning towards a prime either the 50 1.4/1.8 OR hire the 35 1.4L should be great for the night shots as well as all round pics.

I'm intending on a major part of my shooting to be at night, personal preference really hence the thought of a tripod/gorillapod?

Chris

There's 4 or so shops near each other on Apliu Street (2 on either side of the street) but they are tucked away behind the market stalls. I normally go to one called Ying Kee as they're normally cheaper by a few dollars. They don't really sell lenses or bodies, but you can get unknown brands of filters, tripods, bags, lighting and all other sorts of add on's you never thought you needed before and are too cheap to ignore.

Thanks, that's the sort of place I'm after, not I can go get all sorts of useless computer bits in Golden Computer, and more photography gizmos in one trip :)

Thanks Chris,

when you say 1-2 Hrs do you mean all the way round in a circle or just between the pins on the map?

Chris

1-2 hours all the way round, if that. It's a 10 minute walk between the pins. It's quite something being stood there in the quiet tree cover looking down on the low rumble of a million air conditioners :)

I'm pretty good at tagging locations on my flickr if you want any ideas for places to go...

Thanks, that's the sort of place I'm after, not I can go get all sorts of useless computer bits in Golden Computer, and more photography gizmos in one trip :)

1-2 hours all the way round, if that. It's a 10 minute walk between the pins. It's quite something being stood there in the quiet tree cover looking down on the low rumble of a million air conditioners :)

I'm pretty good at tagging locations on my flickr if you want any ideas for places to go...

Cheers Chris,

I will be sure to check out your flicker and will definatly take the walk thank you very much.

Chris

Would be great if you don't mind, was looking at the Youngnuo YN-467 Flash for Nikon :) They're around £52 off ebay including a diffuser.

Cheapest I could see was one shop's at £42, hk528, just oppostie the store I said before.

I was in Hong Kong over new year, there is about a dozen shots on my flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29104326@N08/sets/72157625845923894/

All the photos are geotagged so you can view the exact location on a map.

Nick, your HK set is AMAZING!! just the kind of shots I'm after love the night look....after all it is a 24Hr City.

The comments I found very interesting!!

If I had to choose a Fav it would be this one:

Victoria Peak View. by Nick Atkin, on Flickr

I take it from the exposure lengths you were using some form of tripod?

Chris

Thanks for all the help guys, to bring it back to the kit I had been leaning towards a Gorillapod SLR zoom with a decent Ball head rather than the tripod simply because It would be much easier to carry around and I could se it everywhere!!

However to throw a spanner in the works....... whilst looking around I stumbled across this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Giottos-Classic-Tripods-GB-1060/dp/B00193YD32/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1298672239&sr=1-3

Gets great reviews both on Amazon and various other sites. For a similar price to the Gorillapod I wondering wether this may be a better all round buy?

Anyone? :bonk:

EDIT: just found a review closer to home:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=144007&highlight=giotto's+1060

Last edited:
Back