Off to Hong Kong, now....what do I "need"? (+General Info)

wow verry nice pics hong kong looks like a nice place to holiday/Photograph :D

Thanks James, yes its a great place for the snap happy, the only thing wrong with that pic is that effectively you are taking all the buildings from behind.

Really looking forward to my visit, only a few weeks to go now, although watching the China episode of 'An Idiot Abroad' has put my wife well off going (she was sceptical even before she watched it).

Its nothing like that Ed, the best way to describe the majority of it really is like little England. Everything is in english & Cantonese and didn't find anyone who at worst couldn't understand me. TBH in that respect they put us english all to shame :nono:

I've also never been anywhere as clean and tidy in my life.

subscribed, lovely thread guys, with great tips.

Not seen this mentioned or missed it if it has, what power sockets do they use in Hong Kong?

Hi Ed,

Can't be long now mate, it was UK 240 v in my hotel so I'm guessing it is all over.

Have a great time...

A couple more for you Ed, just to build the excitement not that you need it.....haha

5812893573_9604528f4f_b.jpg

5813462532_14da4c16fb_b.jpg

5813489224_3851ce32dd_b.jpg

5813501436_7f414370c3_b.jpg

Oops....bit big (sorry)

Last edited:
Bah, why did you take the Peak Tram, it's crap! Get a bus, you get to see some scenery that way!

Made it up to Braemar Hill on Saturday to scout it out before going back for some evening shots sometime. It's a bit of a mission in 32C heat and 90% humidity....

Bah, why did you take the Peak Tram, it's crap! Get a bus, you get to see some scenery that way!

Made it up to Braemar Hill on Saturday to scout it out before going back for some evening shots sometime. It's a bit of a mission in 32C heat and 90% humidity....

Hi Chris,

I took the tram up and the bus back......best of both worlds :clap:

5812909213_6fcf93c4c1_z.jpg

I've sorted out what I am taking now photographically speaking:

Canon 5DMk2

24L TSE Mk2 (seeing as there are so many high buildings I thought it would be good for tilt shots.

17-40L (Ultra wide did consider leaving this behind)

24-105L IS (Probably the best walk around ever made, according to Calsberg)

9x 4GB and 3x 8GB CF Cards = 60GB total (hopefully enough)

Gitzo GT2530 lve CF Tripod with Redsnapper Ball Head

Lee Filters and Holder.

Would have been a mistake to leave your 17-40 I think. Tripod are in use everywhere in Hong Kong

P1050845.jpg

I've sorted out what I am taking now photographically speaking:

Canon 5DMk2

24L TSE Mk2 (seeing as there are so many high buildings I thought it would be good for tilt shots.

17-40L (Ultra wide did consider leaving this behind)

24-105L IS (Probably the best walk around ever made, according to Calsberg)

9x 4GB and 3x 8GB CF Cards = 60GB total (hopefully enough)

Gitzo GT2530 lve CF Tripod with Redsnapper Ball Head

Lee Filters and Holder.

+1 on the 17-40

Looks like you have everything covered there Ed, can't think why you would need your 70-200.

When its 100F + & 85% humidity you won't fancy swapping lenses all day long.

Have a great time & a safe trip Ed.

I know you will (y)

Chris

Definitely bring the tripod. It's monsoon season and you get some amazing lightning displays. I'd make sure you have a way to waterproof your camera bag too.

If you want some good light, remember the south side of the island weather is always better than the north, usually clear.

Sat on the train to Gatwick now, so the start of our Journey begins, 24 hours more should see us in HK all being well.

Sat on the train to Gatwick now, so the start of our Journey begins, 24 hours more should see us in HK all being well.

I meant to say, don't forget to pick up a Hong Kong Tourist Board information pack at the airport when you arrive, they are in bags hanging in the arrivals area. Quite useful, including a good map. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Arrived last night after 32 hours travelling. Hotel is lovely.

Strange trip, on the old 777 we were upgraded to business class and had a great trip to Dubai (how the other half live). But from there it wasn't so good, the new A380 is nice but I had an isle seat and was just next to the toilets at the rear. Everybody going to the toilet knocked into me, then the door slammed shut, then the flushes were going then the doors slammed then they knocked into me again, I was beginning to think that I was Karl Pilkington and Ricky Gervais had set me up. This coupled with the fact the plane took off an hour late from Dubai and another 30 minutes late from Bangkok made it a tedious journey.

Still, here now having breakfast and looking forward to seeing the sights.

Back now, weather was great the first couple of days, unfortunately my health was not, it took a couple of days for me to recover fully from the travelling (30 odd hours out and 46 hours back with no sleep) but from then on the weather was very changeable. Having said that, we had a really good time visited a lot of places after we changed our strategy and got taxis to and from where we wanted to go.

Didn't buy any camera stuff but bought the wife some nice jewellery and had some made to measure shirts made for me.

Some photos here and here

This thread has completely passed me by for the past month, glad to see some good photos of the place.

How you get there? It's a 5 minute walk from the bus stop :LOL:

I walked up from North Point ferry, then went up and over, and back through Happy Valley my weekly exercise! Will do it in the evening soon, weather's not been great this weekend.

Back