Beginner off to south wales for some mountain biking

Edit My Images
Yes
hey all

im off to south wales at the end of Oct to do a bit of mountain biking, mainly bike park wales but also some local trails. should be a good opportunity to get some hands on practice at this type of photography. I will hopefully have my first dslr by the time a go, I seem to be heading towards the Nikon d5300 (prefer the dials and menu system on the Nikon)

My question is would the 18-55mm kit lens that comes with the camera be ok for this type of photography and any other advice to get some good pics

Last edited:
Are you just taking pictures of the landscape, or of moving bikes? And what sort of times/light levels?

will probably be a bit of both throughout the day...hopefully light levels will be good but it is in wales during Oct;)

I would get the body without a kit lens and get a 18-55 kit lens used on ebay for £65 odd.

That will save about £50 - £60 off retail prices so you can use that to help fund 35mm 1.8g or 50mm 1.8g. ( I prefer the 35mm as a general lens )

There are a lot of sections at BPW that are open so you will have relatively good light, although in the wooded sections you will struggle without a fast lens.

I took my camera to BPW, but I left it in the car as I was concerned about breaking/damaging it if I fell off. Of course you could dedicate a few runs to just rolling down the hill to get in a good position before your mates come past.

Back