Off to the lake district. Camera weekend

Name
Marac Andrzej Kolodzinski
Edit My Images
No
This will be our first visit to the lakes we have no idea idea about what to expect, thinking about Coliston? any seasoned travellers care to share their experiences please.

Thanks

You will not be disappointed whatever part of the Lake District you are in.....its all beautiful.

As David says, you can't really go wrong.

If you're driving get a copy of this http://www.shop.ordnancesurveyleisu...r/lake-district-and-cumbria/pid-9780319245354 which has enough scale to spot potential photo locations, and work out which way the sun will rise and fall.

I like Derwentwater, Grasmere can be very attractive but there aren't many potential sunrise locations accessible by car, Wastwater is amazing.

Have fun!

Take some waterproofs, it can be wet at times.

The lakes don''t fill themselves, survival gear may be more apt.

I don't know what the forecast is but every time I've been its hissed it down

Where is your base up there?

I just came back from the lakes. had a B&B in Keswick and walked / bussed all over. Lovely week up there and a wonderful part of the world! I did Buttermere (just gorgeous) Windermere (bit of a let down tbh) Catbells (tiring but amazing views) Helvellyn (Nearly killed myself getting up there along striding edge but my god the views are mindblowing)

Get a weekly bus ticket so you can just hop on and off, i found a couple of the long bus drives were a lovely break from the walking. And take waterproofs. But really you can just stick a pin in a map of the area and have a lovely day wherever it goes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, we have not booked a hotel yet, really looking for great photo ops, my friend said its all good but we only have 2 days :( .. we have wells just in case and a wet coat.

It's a long drive up there and I have a very dodgy back so may feel better with a bus to get around, I just got myself a think tank airport case on wheels but that may not be a good idea LOL. I might just take the D800 with the 24-70 and the rather nice 70-210 AF I just got in town, I will take my Fuji too because it is very small but has a stunning wiiiiiide mode.

Buttermere was one choice as is CONISTON (thanks Nigel) I guess its too much to see and too little time.

Any suggestions for KIT to take, tripod? overkill? I just got a nice small wooded tripod that goes flat.

Castlerigg stone circle, Ashness Bridge, Derwentwater for the Millennium stone All NR Keswick Have a fab time (y)

3104966588_f7cecd5157_o.jpg

Ashness Bridge Derwent Water Cumbria by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

Ashness Bridge Derwent Water Cumbria With Skiddaw In The Distance by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

Millennium Stone, AKA Hundred Year Stone The Trust Centenary Stone, Derwent Water by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

Dave

Stunning Dave some excellent shots right there.

Really enjoying the input, getting excited about the trip, please share photos.

Castle crag? rock garden? I played at the rock garden in covent gardens many years ago but it was nothing like this.

Mark- nice set on flickr mate

Last edited:
Stunning Dave some excellent shots right there.

Really enjoying the input, getting excited about the trip, please share photos.

Castle crag? rock garden? I played at the rock garden in covent gardens many years ago but it was nothing like this.

Mark- nice set on flickr mate

Thanks

Castlerigg

[MAP]maps?q=castlerigg+stone+circle+keswick&hl=en&ll=54.603556,-3.097833&spn=0.004387,0.00912&sll=54.600553,-3.138483&sspn=0.008775,0.018239&t=h&hnear=Keswick,+at+Stone+Circle+(S-bound,+Unmarked)&z=17[/MAP]

Ashness Bridge

[MAP]maps?q=+Ashness+Bridge,+Keswick&hl=en&ll=54.567086,-3.130178&spn=0.001104,0.00228&sll=54.603556,-3.097833&sspn=0.004387,0.00912&oq=ashness+bridge++keswick&t=h&hq=Ashness+Bridge,+Keswick&z=19[/MAP]

For Milleniun stone park at Great Wood car par cross the road walk to your left until you came to a path think its the 2nd one right you can see the water through the trees, follow the path down to the beach area, then turn right follow the path about 600yrds youll see it

A Is Great wood Car Park its sign posted

B is the stone

[MAP]maps?saddr=B5289&daddr=54.583143,-3.132845&hl=en&sll=54.583528,-3.130074&sspn=0.008779,0.018239&geocode=Fc7gQAMdjkHQ_w%3B&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1&sz=16&z=16[/MAP]

HTHs

Dave

Last edited:
Also when you see the Ashness bridge sign just follow it to the top of the hill go over the bridge and theres a car park on your right ( well left on the map but if you come from Keswick up the hill its on your right (ie youll will drive from the top of the map) you can see it on the map (y)

Last edited:
Oddly enough just come back from a week in the Lakes (first time), loved it, damp but ok,no need for a tripod unless doing a standard long time shot for delayed waterfalls etc. 24/70 and 70/200 were my tools of choice. Everything was beautifull especially Ullswater and Coniston. Bracket expose just in case as the meter seemed to struggle on both my 1D and 5D.
Hope you have a great time, cant say the drivers were very good though either on M6 or local to the lakes, 3rd gear 30 mph seems a good speed to me as lots of oncoming drivers seem to like to come across the white line. L&H steam railway was quite good (Lakeside & Haverthwaite).
Matt

Dave - you're a star, thank you so much.

Matt - could be wellytime i think, i have them in the boot packed.

We decided to book next Monday/Tuesday drive home wednesday. Would love more time but will make the most of what we get.

We just arrived and staying in Ambleside. Looks a bit like something from emerdale farm :)

going for a walk soon.

I've got a week sorted out for next month near Lake Thirlmere, so looking forward to getting out and about with the camera.
Thanks for the tip-off regarding that Stone Cirlce, Dave.

I've got a week sorted out for next month near Lake Thirlmere, .

That'd be Thirlmere ;)

Good old pub quiz question how many 'Lakes' in the Lake District? Answer one - Bassenthwaite Lake all the rest are simly waters and meres!

Back