Official Fuji X-Pro 2 thread

Taken with X-Pro2 and 35mm f2 lens in Gunnerside wild-flower meadows, Swaledale, Yorkshire, back in June. Processed from RAW in Lightroom CC.

Gunnerside Wild-flower Meadows by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Lovely shot Stephen, well composed, lovely colours, and spot on exposure.(y)

"I've been waiting for someone to post a fine detail grass/foliage type shot from the new Fuji sensor to see if the detail is maintained in LR with little or no waxing. Looks pretty good to me".

George.

Well I think I'm going to move on the second X-Pro 2, as nice as it is having two bodies its actually more hassle in practice than just owning a zoom for those days where I think I might need it, and I also have half (or maybe three quarters) of an eye on an XT2...
Also given the Amazon discount the price MPB are offering is basically the same.... also have half an eye on a couple of bits of glass using the WEX 10% off coupon before the price rises hit in August

Well I think I'm going to move on the second X-Pro 2, as nice as it is having two bodies its actually more hassle in practice than just owning a zoom for those days where I think I might need it, and I also have half (or maybe three quarters) of an eye on an XT2...
Also given the Amazon discount the price MPB are offering is basically the same.... also have half an eye on a couple of bits of glass using the WEX 10% off coupon before the price rises hit in August

How much would you want for the pro 2?

What are you guys running the DR at? Auto 100, 200 or 400. I know most used 100% on other XT models but with the XP2 sensor being superior just wondering what others were using on a day to day base!

What are you guys running the DR at? Auto 100, 200 or 400. I know most used 100% on other XT models but with the XP2 sensor being superior just wondering what others were using on a day to day base!

100 still!

I shoot RAW, so ISOless sensor or not (and I'm not saying it's not!) then I'd rather shoot a high DR scene at base ISO, get maximum native DR, and the most data to work with in post!*

There's still resolution and DR degradations by pushing a ISOless sensor, just less noise degradation

I do find the XP2 to have more shadow recovery than the previous generation of the X-Trans sensor, so (as ever) ETTR... (aka try not to blow the highlights and the blue channel !!)

In case it's of interest...

According to Rico Pfirstinger <sp?> the histogram is a liar in DR Auto !! (showing only DR100 values) However if you manually set DR200 or 400 the histogram adjusts to suit, also apparently in ERF with magnification mode, the histogram is displaying only the magnified area, aka the focus box.... (Seriously Fuji - WTF?)

*It's a good feature for people that work with SOOC jpegs though

100 still!

I shoot RAW, so ISOless sensor or not (and I'm not saying it's not!) then I'd rather shoot a high DR scene at base ISO, get maximum native DR, and the most data to work with in post!*

There's still resolution and DR degradations by pushing a ISOless sensor, just less noise degradation

I do find the XP2 to have more shadow recovery than the previous generation of the X-Trans sensor, so (as ever) ETTR... (aka try not to blow the highlights and the blue channel !!)

In case it's of interest...

According to Rico Pfirstinger <sp?> the histogram is a liar in DR Auto !! (showing only DR100 values) However if you manually set DR200 or 400 the histogram adjusts to suit, also apparently in ERF with magnification mode, the histogram is displaying only the magnified area, aka the focus box.... (Seriously Fuji - WTF?)

*It's a good feature for people that work with SOOC jpegs though
:agree:

Thanks for that Adam, seriously did not know about the histogram and magnified area!!

Thanks for that Adam, seriously did not know about the histogram and magnified area!!

Yeah, that made Rico's book worth the £9 alone IMO :)

(EVF and 100% view is ok apparently)

FWIW... he considers that a bug!

I've also discovered the OVF magnification bug too!

Anyone using a handgrip attached? If so, is the official Fuji the best one to go with? £100 seems a bit steep

Anyone using a handgrip attached? If so, is the official Fuji the best one to go with? £100 seems a bit steep
I use the Fuji one. When I needed one, it was the only version available. But it fits well, and as far as I know is the only one with a textured finger grip.

It fits great, is actually surprisingly light.

It's a bit steep cost wise... but Fuji were (are?) doing it 1/2 price with a new body or 25% off with a refurb

My only complaints are that 1) you need a coin or something to unscrew it and 2) if you mount it to a tripod, using the tripod socket (which is also the attachment screw) then, it tends to loosen the attachment screw when you unscrew it from the tripod...

FWIW... I usually justify these expensive OEM accessories by reminding myself that a) it's the official one, and the thing you hold, when you hold the camera or attach to a 'pod is perhaps not an area to save a few quid, and b) you won't see your money back when it's time to flip, but it's a little something that makes your eBay listing stand out from the others!

It fits great, is actually surprisingly light.

It's a bit steep cost wise... but Fuji were (are?) doing it 1/2 price with a new body or 25% off with a refurb

My only complaints are that 1) you need a coin or something to unscrew it and 2) if you mount it to a tripod, using the tripod socket (which is also the attachment screw) then, it tends to loosen the attachment screw when you unscrew it from the tripod...

FWIW... I usually justify these expensive OEM accessories by reminding myself that a) it's the official one, and the thing you hold, when you hold the camera or attach to a 'pod is perhaps not an area to save a few quid, and b) you won't see your money back when it's time to flip, but it's a little something that makes your eBay listing stand out from the others!

Thanks for the info. Got it for £50 with the purchase of the camera (and 2 lenses). Tomorrow will be one of those days where I have to intercept the postman.

Last edited:
really impressed with the build quality of the camera. the grip does seem a must have accessory though and does make it feel even more solid.
I think I will have it on auto iso more often than id like to though.

Had my X-Pro2 a couple of weeks now. Just got the KAZA half leather case - looks lurvely :)

A snap of it and some with it :)

Thinking of upgrading my X-e1 to the Xpro-2 I have the 14mm,18-55 & 55-200 lenses.
Am I right in thinking that the 14mm will be a small view in OVF and the other 2 longer lenses are better with the EVF.
How easy is using the OVF when you wear verifocal glasses?

Thinking of upgrading my X-e1 to the Xpro-2 I have the 14mm,18-55 & 55-200 lenses.
Am I right in thinking that the 14mm will be a small view in OVF and the other 2 longer lenses are better with the EVF.
How easy is using the OVF when you wear verifocal glasses?
I find the OVF is OK with the 18-55. Can't speak about varifocal, but I have no problems at all with bifocal specs. It's worth remembering that as far as possible the OVF framelines adjust to the focal length being used. It only falls down on really wide lenses, when the field of view is outside the capabilities of framelines.

Just put a glass screen protector from a Canon 650D on my xp2, it attached to the frame around the screen so there are no bubbles to mess about with :)

Ah curses the ebay seller ( cocobanana888 ) doesn't list them anymore, not a lot of use but this is the image the auction used

p.jpg

How are you finding the new X-Pro2 Colin ?

(I know I'm not Colin!)

Yes X-Pro1 on steroids, but there's a few things better about the XP1!

The contents of the OVF are a lot more legible, the AFL button is nicer to use and find by feel, the SS dial feels stiffer on the XP1 too

The IQ of the XP2 is technically another level though - a LOT more shadow data, IMO the files aren't as "filmic" as the XP1, but they're not as digital as the XT1 either.

There's more contrast, and the colours are deeper. I've found AWB very good (others have b**ched about it - so buyer beware I guess!) I didn't like AWB on the XT1 so much, but WB is SO much shot, taste, screen, light, PP SW etc... The files have a noise to them (I turn off all NR beneath about ISO1600 in post) that's pleasant and I don't mind at all. It's digital noise (well dur Adam) but it looks nice. The bigger files are more handy that I thought they'd be for cropping!

Acros is excellent IMO - I don't do mono PP anymore, if it's not good enough SOOC, then the acros jpg and a bit of a tweak in post and it's done - again YMMV!!)

Obviously the AF, speed of operation, card write speeds etcetc are far, far better!

Overall the build of the body is a bit better it feels more solid, but there's a couple of annoyances (IMO) to the XP2, the AFL button and the ever wandering dioptre wheel to name 2!

There's also a coupe of bugs that can be worked around, but need fixing IMO... the histogram in the ERF mode is ONLY metering for the scene in the ERF patch (according to Rico) and if you manually change the OVF magnification, then it no longer automatically changes when you fit a lens requiring the other magnification (eg the 18) - the work around for this is too hot swap the lens and then it works again. I'm not convinced everyone's does this, but mine does and I'm not alone! Also a factory reset fixes it - but once you've got all that menu stuff set up, you'll not in be hurry to throw all that work away!

The ERF and red focus peaking and acros keep me happy!

I only really use it in MF mode... but the OVF and the zone AF setting is very useful. The tracking AF worked fairly well with my 3 year old kid too!

Best of all (maybe) is that it feels like a X-Pro1, I mean it's about the same on a day to day basis, so if you're a big XP1 fan (say perhaps your website features a 26000+ word XP1 review for example :) ) then it's like a more mature and grown up version of the camera you love!

I'm probably singing to the choir here in the XP2 thread, but overall I'm seriously impressed...

Here's a handful of XP2 shots, I've only had the camera for 4 weeks and of course, what happens you get a new camera? Life goes a bit nuts and you don't get a lot of time to use it!

First up, SOOC jpg acros, zero PP at all!

Luna by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Barred by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

And colour PP (from raw)

The Calm Before the Swarm by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

G to the P by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

A day to Sit by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Cheers!

Great contrast in these :)

Back