Official Fuji X-Pro 2 thread

Ill try one when the price drops though. (y)

You'll love it, yeah so the IQ isn't quite the same as my D750 but I've used it more and taken it places I wouldn't have had the Nikon..

Is the 55-200 a decent buy does anyone know? In the long run I'd like a 50-140 but just now extra length isn't the biggest priority so the cheaper zoom looks good but I wasn't sure how well rated it is?

Think I'm going to stick with the 16 f1.4 and 35 f2 as my prime combo for travel though, should be a great combo for most things!

You'll love it, yeah so the IQ isn't quite the same as my D750 but I've used it more and taken it places I wouldn't have had the Nikon..

Is the 55-200 a decent buy does anyone know? In the long run I'd like a 50-140 but just now extra length isn't the biggest priority so the cheaper zoom looks good but I wasn't sure how well rated it is?

Think I'm going to stick with the 16 f1.4 and 35 f2 as my prime combo for travel though, should be a great combo for most things!

Yup, thats why I usually have 2 systems.

Ive seen some great stuff from the 55-200, definitely not the usual kit lens quality but Ive not used it.

The 55-200 gives excellent image quality and for the price you can pick one up it's great value. I've had the 55-200 & the 50-230 at the same time and IMO there is very little difference in image quality but I kept the 55-200 as it just felt so much better. The 50-140 is much faster to focus though and from the few images I took when I tested one I was impressed. Personally I don't use longer focal lengths that often though and I also have the 90mm so the 55-200 seemed the best option for me for the occasional use.

In my unscientific view, just about all the lenses I own which were pedestrian in focussing on the X-T1 are at worst very acceptable and and best quite fast at focussing on the X-Pro2. That includes the 55-200, which can even track moving objects now.

In other news, my free strap has now arrived. Cracking box! However, the strap length is what I would call "American Tourist" and so unsuitable for my purpose. I like to sling my cameras cross-wise across the shoulder. It shall go in the archive of nice but useless objects.

I have finally managed to obtain a grip for my camera. Previously I had been using a Match Technical Thumbs Up grip made for an X-Pro1 to give me additional purchase, and it worked fairly satisfactorily but now the MHG-XPRO2 is on the camera I can dispense with the Thumbs Up. The grip is wonderful. Every camera should have one! In fact the camera should have been produced with an integral grip like this. It has the added bonus of having the Arca-compatible dovetail tripod mount.

I have finally managed to obtain a grip for my camera. Previously I had been using a Match Technical Thumbs Up grip made for an X-Pro1 to give me additional purchase, and it worked fairly satisfactorily but now the MHG-XPRO2 is on the camera I can dispense with the Thumbs Up. The grip is wonderful. Every camera should have one! In fact the camera should have been produced with an integral grip like this. It has the added bonus of having the Arca-compatible dovetail tripod mount.

Could you post a few pics of what it looks like on the X-pro2?

When I use the rangefinder view & have the enlarged focus screen in the bottom right, my image isn't exactly where my focus point it.

See the picture below as an example, the pink line is where mine would be, i.e. its not centred, even though I have my focus point centered?

I hope this makes sense?o_O

Error.jpg

I opted for the leather case over the grip, having had one on the XP1. The only downside of the leather case for me is that you have to remove it to fit the tripod mount.

Oh well I suppose nothing is perfect!

I opted for the leather case over the grip, having had one on the XP1. The only downside of the leather case for me is that you have to remove it to fit the tripod mount.

Does the leather half case give you better grip?

I used to swear by the Gariz half-cases, but as you say they don't have the in-built tripod plate. Still have one for the X-T10 which I must shift sometime.

Which leads to another question.... where did you get the clips between the strap and camera?
Thought someone might ask! They're called Le Hook clips which I bought donkeys years ago. I think they're still made, but they're not cheap. Superb bits of engineering. Got quite a few which I use on different straps. http://www.lehook.co.uk/index.html

When I use the rangefinder view & have the enlarged focus screen in the bottom right, my image isn't exactly where my focus point it.

See the picture below as an example, the pink line is where mine would be, i.e. its not centred, even though I have my focus point centered?

I hope this makes sense?o_O

View attachment 59521

this is mentioned in dpreviews review about half way down

Thought someone might ask! They're called Le Hook clips which I bought donkeys years ago. I think they're still made, but they're not cheap. Superb bits of engineering. Got quite a few which I use on different straps. http://www.lehook.co.uk/index.html

Thanks Stephen, they look reassuringly expensive. I've got a cordweaver long neck strap but I hardly ever use it because it's a hassle removing the wrist strap which I use most of the time. These would make it nice and simple.

About the same as any other Fuji. Well over 200 shots in performance mode. Which is also about what I used to get from my Oly E-Ms.

Not too bad then, more than my eos m.I havn't kept looking at a camera so many times for quite a while, it looks like iq could be better than my 7dmk2, if not match it a t least.

Another question, does it feel light carried around in a bag?

And if you were to recommend just one lens what would you all suggest? Trains, my children, landscapes would be the uses.

Think if I had to have just one lens it would probably be one I don't even own, the 16-55 f2.8. If on the other hand I was to be starting again with Fuji and only buying one lens now with a view to adding more it would be the 23mm.

If you haven't used a Fuji camera for more than a couple of test shots in store I would recommend trying to borrow one for a few days, or even buy a refurb X-E2 kit (you wouldn't lose much to resell) That will give you time to see if Fuji's are for you. I've seen many people try to switch and end up selling to go back to what they had. Almost did it myself when I first switched from Canon to the X-Pro1, but now glad I made the effort to stick with them.

I regularly go through my shots to evaluate what focal lengths I am using. To my surprise I was hardly ever shooting at 23. For me it was neither fish nor fowl. So it went in a rationalisation exercise!

In my unscientific view, just about all the lenses I own which were pedestrian in focussing on the X-T1 are at worst very acceptable and and best quite fast at focussing on the X-Pro2. That includes the 55-200, which can even track moving objects now.

In other news, my free strap has now arrived. Cracking box! However, the strap length is what I would call "American Tourist" and so unsuitable for my purpose. I like to sling my cameras cross-wise across the shoulder. It shall go in the archive of nice but useless objects.
I tried my relatively recently acquired 60mm on the XP2 today, very impressed, snappy focus and very sharp

Think if I had to have just one lens it would probably be one I don't even own, the 16-55 f2.8. If on the other hand I was to be starting again with Fuji and only buying one lens now with a view to adding more it would be the 23mm.

If you haven't used a Fuji camera for more than a couple of test shots in store I would recommend trying to borrow one for a few days, or even buy a refurb X-E2 kit (you wouldn't lose much to resell) That will give you time to see if Fuji's are for you. I've seen many people try to switch and end up selling to go back to what they had. Almost did it myself when I first switched from Canon to the X-Pro1, but now glad I made the effort to stick with them.

An x-e2 had been an idea too esp with the firmware update. With my 7dmk2 I have an 18-135, 50-500 and a 40mm. Weight has been quite an issue lately, having not been well over time and being worse as of late I just can't be bothered to lug it around, it would have to be the best implemented system to make me sell up the canon.

Will certainly have a look at it with those lenses at the weekend.

I'd definitely recommend the X-E2 as a great intro to the Fuji system, the X-Pro2 is obviously a step up but if you don't enjoy the X-E2 then the X-Pro2 would be unlikely to change your mind and you'd have saved a heap of money.

Almost ordered a 16-55 today.... would be a nice setup with my 16 and 35 for travel.... but the Amazon Price went from £640 up to over £900!
I was thinking of buying one of these, but the review at photozone.de put me off, I've found their reviews to be pretty spot on in the past.
http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/971-fuji1655f28
FYI they're retailing around £699 at most UK stores.

Last edited:
Back