Official Fuji X-Pro 2 thread

I was thinking of buying one of these, but the review at photozone.de put me off, I've found their reviews to be pretty spot on in the past.
http://www.photozone.de/fuji_x/971-fuji1655f28
FYI they're retailing around £699 at most UK stores.

I had one before with an XT1 and I can honestly say that at the time it was the best performing lens I'd used at all on X-Mount and that includes the primes that I used (14/18/23/35), I suspect the 56 and 90 and maybe 16 shade it but its a stunning bit of glass.

I had one before with an XT1 and I can honestly say that at the time it was the best performing lens I'd used at all on X-Mount and that includes the primes that I used (14/18/23/35), I suspect the 56 and 90 and maybe 16 shade it but its a stunning bit of glass.
Second that. It is an excellent lens

Doesn't the lack of ois mean missed shots ? I'm seriously thinking of moving on my 18-55 and 18-135 and buying it.

No, the OIS is just a stabiliser that can help to steady the lens at slower shutter speeds. It's the the same as Vibration Reduction on Nikon zoom lenses. The 18-55mm is a really sharp lens and high build quality. Of course if you're shooting with an extremely low shutter speed without a tripod then no amount of OIS/VR will help you. Whilst I'm on this subject then OIS should be turned off if the camera is mounted on a tripod. Hope that helps.

Doesn't the lack of ois mean missed shots ? I'm seriously thinking of moving on my 18-55 and 18-135 and buying it.

The majority of the Nikon lenses I used to own and the Fuji lenses that I currently own don't have OIS so not an issue for me if I m honest

No, the OIS is just a stabiliser that can help to steady the lens at slower shutter speeds. It's the the same as Vibration Reduction on Nikon zoom lenses. The 18-55mm is a really sharp lens and high build quality. Of course if you're shooting with an extremely low shutter speed without a tripod then no amount of OIS/VR will help you. Whilst I'm on this subject then OIS should be turned off if the camera is mounted on a tripod. Hope that helps.
:rolleyes: I do know what OIS is ! I was just making the point that it's a heavy lens which would probably benefit from having it.

With any lens I buy, if it is a decision between OIS or a wide aperture then the wide aperture always win.

With any lens I buy, if it is a decision between OIS or a wide aperture then the wide aperture always win.

I'd agree up to around ~150mm equivalent, after that I think good OIS can be more useful. The XF90, for example, would be much more flexible if it traded OIS for being F2.8 instead of F2 IMO.

Come on folks over 24 hours without a post!!! I've had a nice delivery of new lenses this morning!

I decided long and hard that despite liking the size of the 35/2 its not a focal length I'm going to use much so I've returned it and this morning I've had a used 16-55, used 23 and used 55-200 delivered!! The 23mm is a great focal length as a general lens for me and from what I've heard of the lens its a cracker too.
The 55-200 is really just a cheap way of giving me some length and I couldn't pass up a 16-55 that was £300 off the new price, and has turned up as if its never been used!

Come on folks over 24 hours without a post!!! I've had a nice delivery of new lenses this morning!

I decided long and hard that despite liking the size of the 35/2 its not a focal length I'm going to use much so I've returned it and this morning I've had a used 16-55, used 23 and used 55-200 delivered!! The 23mm is a great focal length as a general lens for me and from what I've heard of the lens its a cracker too.
The 55-200 is really just a cheap way of giving me some length and I couldn't pass up a 16-55 that was £300 off the new price, and has turned up as if its never been used!
Congratulations! The 16-55 would be too heavy for my idea that a mirrorless system should be based on low(ish) weight, and the lack of IOS would be a decider. But whatever suits you.

Congratulations! The 16-55 would be too heavy for my idea that a mirrorless system should be based on low(ish) weight, and the lack of IOS would be a decider. But whatever suits you.

Its more for when I'm out and I've got the full kit (tripod and filters, etc) the 16-55 is more flexible for that sort of shooting in my experience, but the prime lineup is going to be my go-to travel bag (16/23 & 55-200)

So many used lenses? Well Done :D I've bought a lot of my lenses used and apart from a couple of iffy old film era lenses that had to go back I've been very happy. Most of my MFT lenses are used. Great way to save money and give kit a new life :D

I have to admit now its mounted on the XP2 its a bit of a beast....

Here's a question then for folks, would you rather stick to all primes and then maybe pickup a cheap second body (thinking XE2) for when two focal lengths would be handy and lens changing isn't easy, or would you keep the zoom?

I've always got at least two Fuji bodies for times when a quick change of focal length are needed. Unfortunately selling the two X-T1's didn't raise enough to buy two X-Pro2's so I've got an X-E2 as second body.

I do have zooms, the 55-200 for much the same reasons as you. The 10-24 because I often wanted slightly wider than the 14mm gave me, and the XC16-50 which goes on the X-E2 for Mrs Sprout as she much prefers a zoom but doesn't use it enough to justify a bigger investment.

I do much prefer using the primes though, not sure if my shots ever benefit from them but they do make me think a bit more before taking a shot.

Here's a question then for folks, would you rather stick to all primes and then maybe pickup a cheap second body (thinking XE2) for when two focal lengths would be handy and lens changing isn't easy, or would you keep the zoom?
The question for me would be would I be happy with a zoom on an RF style body. Personally I think that the RF style is better suited to primes and I prefer the SLR style body for zooms.

Tried to purchase from Amazon, but refused to let me checkout, something to do with shipping?
The Classic camera stock Match technical soft releases, nice quality but at £19.99 a wee bit expensive. I may be ordering one myself as my Gariz one fell off my X pro 2 today while out walking the dog and taking a few shots. One thing for sure it makes a difference to using the X Pro's it felt wrong shooting without it.

The Classic camera stock Match technical soft releases, nice quality but at £19.99 a wee bit expensive. I may be ordering one myself as my Gariz one fell off my X pro 2 today while out walking the dog and taking a few shots. One thing for sure it makes a difference to using the X Pro's it felt wrong shooting without it.

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Well, I have to spend my pension on something!
You could always use your pension to sponsor a poor Northern Irish guy , to paraphrase, "show a man pictures taken with your 56mm F1.2 you'll feed his GAS for a day, buy a man a 16-55XF F/2.8 you'll satiate his GAS for maybe a week" :rolleyes:
So whaddya say ?

You could always use your pension to sponsor a poor Northern Irish guy , to paraphrase, "show a man pictures taken with your 56mm F1.2 you'll feed his GAS for a day, buy a man a 16-55XF F/2.8 you'll satiate his GAS for maybe a week" :rolleyes:
So whaddya say ?

Arf....

So whaddya say ?
Err umm ...

My intention (which will probably be broken) is to use the Pro2 with my 3 primes - 16mm, 35mm f2, 56mm - and my T1 with the 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200.

Nice collection! I'm heading out shooting tomorrow and will give the 16-55 a go and see what I think weight and size wise.

Different in what way ? Better or worse ?

I'm looking at a couple of used 16-55mm's they're also on the Fuji refurb store at £559. I was out walking today with my X pro 2 and 18-135mm I believe the 16-55 is bigger again ?

Just back from a wander with the two 35's hoping to decide which one to keep. It's really not helped, my only real gripe with the 1.4 is the noisy focusing.

Just back from a wander with the two 35's hoping to decide which one to keep. It's really not helped, my only real gripe with the 1.4 is the noisy focusing.
I kept the f2. It sits nicer on the Pro2 and it's weather resistant. It's much faster focussing too.

Yeah you should sell the F2, the f1.4 may be noisy, but it's got that "je ne sais quoi" thang going on, I'll give you a bad price for your F2 :rolleyes:

Keep both. I really struggled with the 35 1.4 speed again today compared to my other setup but it does take a very nice pic when it eventually locks.

Last edited:
Back