OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

looking forward to receiving an ebay auction of Voigtlander Perkeo, f.4.5 75mm Vaskar which have just won :)
Congratulations. :) I have one of those, they're a nice little camera, my only slight criticism is that the viewfinder is a bit small; but then again, it's about the most compact 6x6 medium format camera you can get, so I suppose something had to give! I hope yours arrives safely and works well. (y)

Here's a photo I took with mine during the first F&C trip to the Black Country Living Museum to whet your appetite.

Congratulations. :) I have one of those, they're a nice little camera, my only slight criticism is that the viewfinder is a bit small; but then again, it's about the most compact 6x6 medium format camera you can get, so I suppose something had to give! I hope yours arrives safely and works well. (y)

Here's a photo I took with mine during the first F&C trip to the Black Country Living Museum to whet your appetite.

Yes the more i read about the camera the more i wanted one, didnt expect to win it but it is another purchase to hide from my wife :) Thanks for posting the picture certainly looking forward to taking some pictures when it arrives.

Yes the more i read about the camera the more i wanted one, didnt expect to win it but it is another purchase to hide from my wife :) Thanks for posting the picture certainly looking forward to taking some pictures when it arrives.
It's a slippery slope from now on though, once bitten by the film camera bug very few make a full recovery and return to digital only! :giggle:

Unless you already have a stock of 120 film, then I'd suggest a roll of Ilford XP2 to try the camera out with and get to know it. As it's a C41 colour process type film, it's cheaper to have lab developed than a conventional black and white film. Also, if it's a dull day then shoot it at the 'box' rating of 400 ISO, if the sun is shining then expose it as a 200 ISO film and have it developed at 400 ISO as normal - this means you can shoot at 400 ISO and 200 ISO on the same roll of film. This gives a bit more flexibility when dealing with the limited shutter speed range of old folding cameras.

Also, try to keep your shutter speeds as high as you can to avoid camera shake, which can be a problem with older cameras that have fairly big shutter speed 'steps' between the highest speed and the next one down. That way, you should be able to tell if the focus is working right, rather than camera shake confusing things while you're testing and getting used to the camera. Also, try to keep the film number inspection window in the shade while you're winding on, as sunlight leaking through it can cause light leaks on the film, and/or impose the film number onto the film - the faster the film speed the more likely this becomes, so be really careful about this if using something like Portra 800 ISO.

Hope this is useful, best of luck and keep us posted on progress. (y)

love mine to bits....

Voigtländer Perkeo I by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Perkeo at YSP by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Thornes Wharfe by The Big Yin, on Flickr

and, to put into perspective, compared to what (used to be) considered a thoroughly pocketable dijikal device

upload by The Big Yin, on Flickr
Is that last photo in the YSP Mark?

It's years since I was there but they had one of them rabbit sculptures on display in the grounds which was huge and, I found, quite unnerving tbh …...Certainly didn't appeal to me.
In fact I recall that they had other rather "strange" figures which were equally uncomfortable to be in the presence of :runaway:

It's a slippery slope from now on though, once bitten by the film camera bug very few make a full recovery and return to digital only! :giggle:

Unless you already have a stock of 120 film, then I'd suggest a roll of Ilford XP2 to try the camera out with and get to know it. As it's a C41 colour process type film, it's cheaper to have lab developed than a conventional black and white film. Also, if it's a dull day then shoot it at the 'box' rating of 400 ISO, if the sun is shining then expose it as a 200 ISO film and have it developed at 400 ISO as normal - this means you can shoot at 400 ISO and 200 ISO on the same roll of film. This gives a bit more flexibility when dealing with the limited shutter speed range of old folding cameras.

Also, try to keep your shutter speeds as high as you can to avoid camera shake, which can be a problem with older cameras that have fairly big shutter speed 'steps' between the highest speed and the next one down. That way, you should be able to tell if the focus is working right, rather than camera shake confusing things while you're testing and getting used to the camera. Also, try to keep the film number inspection window in the shade while you're winding on, as sunlight leaking through it can cause light leaks on the film, and/or impose the film number onto the film - the faster the film speed the more likely this becomes, so be really careful about this if using something like Portra 800 ISO.

Hope this is useful, best of luck and keep us posted on progress. (y)

I really appreciate this that is such useful information for me, will take this onboard and off to order some Ilford XP2 many thanks

Did anyone buy a Lab-box? I see they shipped in May. Was it worth the wait? I have a couple of Rondinax tanks, a 135u and a 120 and they don't seem to be much different.
I'm still waiting for mine but will be for sale unopened and unused as soon as it arrives as I prefer the Jobo system I now have.

Is that last photo in the YSP Mark?

It's years since I was there but they had one of them rabbit sculptures on display in the grounds which was huge and, I found, quite unnerving tbh …...Certainly didn't appeal to me.
In fact I recall that they had other rather "strange" figures which were equally uncomfortable to be in the presence of :runaway:

second one is "the orangery" at YSP and the fourth is indeed also at YSP (or was, quite a while ago...)

I quite liked this one, if I'm honest...

but this one always makes me smile... (scuse the digital...)

Rabbit and Minotaur by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Somehow, it always looks like Buffalo BIll and the Big Bunny are standing behind huge Urinals to me....

These little Ensign Selfix 16-20 cameras are fun too if you can find a good one in full working order... and you get 16 shots on a roll of 120 with those! :) Andysnap has taken some lovely looking landscape shots with his 16-20 camera; so there's the another one for you to consider, Adrian! ;)

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/YhY9Uk'][URL='https://flic.kr/p/2g6DRZu']
[/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
second one is "the orangery" at YSP and the fourth is indeed also at YSP (or was, quite a while ago...)

I quite liked this one, if I'm honest...

but this one always makes me smile... (scuse the digital...)

Rabbit and Minotaur by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Somehow, it always looks like Buffalo BIll and the Big Bunny are standing behind huge Urinals to me....

I dunno, they're kinda spooky to me even in a photograph.

Mindst as a kid, Dr Who used to scare the carp out of me!:LOL:

Calling Canon users - I have a Centon Fg105D flash I'm going to give away in the freebies section shortly.
It could be ok for digital but it's from the film era so use on newer cameras at own owners risk.

I was thinking of posting a Canon Eos50 as a freebie, since it has battery issues. I'm just back from B&M with a couple of storage boxes to tidy up my old lenses, and I found an adapter for fitting Nikon lenses to Eos cameras! It seems to work as well, so that's another failed attempt to get rid of some of my old 35mm kit. :rolleyes:

I was thinking of posting a Canon Eos50 as a freebie, since it has battery issues. I'm just back from B&M with a couple of storage boxes to tidy up my old lenses, and I found an adapter for fitting Nikon lenses to Eos cameras! It seems to work as well, so that's another failed attempt to get rid of some of my old 35mm kit. :rolleyes:

I've got a zoom to give to charity (no one interested here)..anyway at the bootie offered the lens to a guy who sells camera stuff with other things for a 50-50 split for what he can get for it (I suggested a quick £2 ea) ..but he wasn't interested WTF so £2 to some is not worth bothering with :rolleyes:

These little Ensign Selfix 16-20 cameras are fun too if you can find a good one in full working order... and you get 16 shots on a roll of 120 with those! :) Andysnap has taken some lovely looking landscape shots with his 16-20 camera; so there's the another one for you to consider, Adrian! ;)

I cant keep up and my head is spinning already :)

I cant keep up and my head is spinning already :)
Adrian, Ibought an Ensign Selfix 16-20 at the start of the year, and it's a nice camera to use. Its one major issue (for some) is that you have to uncover the little red window on the back and peer into it when you wind on the film. Different films have different shades of grey for the frame numbers' and some are really not that easy to see through the window, so a small red torch or a white torch shining through a red filter may be required. I reached a point where I was sure I could manage without the torch, but missed frames showed I was kidding myself. :rolleyes:

I caved and bought a new Canon 50mm f1.8 STM lens as my Yongnuo ones don't work on my older Canons like my RT, 650, 600 and 10. I used it on my EOS 3 yesterday at a car show as my RT was being temperamental about loading film. It's just loaded on about the 10th attempt.

Technically the lens didn't cost me anything as I won £500 worth of Love2Shop vouchers at work so I got it from Argos with those. The rest will probably be spent on developing in Boots. IMG_20190616_122647.jpg

Last edited:
Technically the lens didn't cost me anything as I won £500 worth of Love2Shop vouchers at work so I got it from Argos with those. The rest will probably be spent on developing in Boots.
Oooh, man maths at their finest. (y);)

When I say the rest I've already used over £200 replacing my phone which was smashed when my bag fell off a window ledge opposite my locker at work. My phone was in the outside pocket, my Nikon F501 and AF Nikkor 85mm f1.8 were inside. They landed on the phone. No harm to the camera or lens. [emoji28]

I now have a very nice French camera - a simpleish 35 mm viewfinder camera but with nice details. A FocaSport made by OPL. Currently has a test film in it, but it keeps raining so I have yet to take a single shot.View attachment 243585View attachment 243586
I have finally finished my test film and got the scans back from Snappy Snaps in Lincoln. The shutter was almost silent in operation - to the point where I was never sure it had fired - but works well and the timings are at least usably close to declared values.

The lens is a disappointment. It is very prone to flare, even if there is only a small amount of bright highlight in the frame. Most of the 24 frames of my test film had some flare. The lens is clearly coated as both the front and rear of the lens have a blue tint - but it cannot be working very well.Foca -sport-5.jpgFoca -sport-24.jpgFoca -sport-14.jpg

I have finally finished my test film and got the scans back from Snappy Snaps in Lincoln. The shutter was almost silent in operation - to the point where I was never sure it had fired - but works well and the timings are at least usably close to declared values.

The lens is a disappointment. It is very prone to flare, even if there is only a small amount of bright highlight in the frame. Most of the 24 frames of my test film had some flare. The lens is clearly coated as both the front and rear of the lens have a blue tint - but it cannot be working very well.View attachment 248016View attachment 248017View attachment 248018
Looks like veiling lens flare rather than distinct points of flare? In which case, do you think it could be due to the matt black finish inside the camera breaking down and becoming reflective? If so, fitting flocking to the accessible sides of the interior might be a possible solution, if keeping the camera in original condition to preserve any value as a collectors item isn't an issue?

I caved and bought a new Canon 50mm f1.8 STM lens as my Yongnuo ones don't work on my older Canons like my RT, 650, 600 and 10. I used it on my EOS 3 yesterday at a car show as my RT was being temperamental about loading film. It's just loaded on about the 10th attempt.

Technically the lens didn't cost me anything as I won £500 worth of Love2Shop vouchers at work so I got it from Argos with those. The rest will probably be spent on developing in Boots. View attachment 247758
I bought a Canon 40mm pancake STM lens a while back and think it's a great little lens - I often find a 50mm lens can be just a bit too 'tight' when framing everyday subjects, whereas 40mm gives a bit more breathing space but doesn't look 'wide angle'. So perhaps give that some consideration, particularly if your vouchers can be used to buy a mint(ish) used one for around the £100 mark. (y)

Looks like veiling lens flare rather than distinct points of flare? In which case, do you think it could be due to the matt black finish inside the camera breaking down and becoming reflective? If so, fitting flocking to the accessible sides of the interior might be a possible solution, if keeping the camera in original condition to preserve any value as a collectors item isn't an issue?
No, the inside of the camera is still a nice, uniform, black finish. It could be the glass - some late 30s and early 40s lenses made with Schott glass have this problem as the 'new' glass they were using was not stable - I have a 1941 Tenax I which has a visible 'cataract' due to the glass becoming milky. This camera is not that bad, but it does not take a lot to induce internal flare.

Well, my Gas has entered a rampant phase. I now have an Italian Ferrania Tanit 127 camera. It is nicely designed with much more aesthetic concern than the Germans ever worried about. No "Form follows Function" here. It is a 127 size camera. I do have a small stock of 127 film, but as that was relatively expensive, I am saving it for a more exciting camera.
Tanit-6.jpgTanit-5.jpg

I do have a small stock of 127 film, but as that was relatively expensive, I am saving it for a more exciting camera.
You owe it at least one roll through it surely? It's a shame for it to be just another camera shaped paperweight.

I picked up a couple of Konicas today. First I got this Konica Autoreflex TC body from a tabletop sale for £3. I was told it had been dropped and the top was cracked. When I tried it the mirror wasn't returning without help. After working the shutter a few times it was fine.

It has a small piece missing from the corner of the prism, you might be able to see it in the picture. A bonus was that it has an adaptor for the px13 batteries it takes. Has anybody seen one like this before? The lens is a fungal forty, I didn't want it to look half dressed.

The other Konica was an Auto S3 complete with case, lens cap and battery for £10. It works perfectly but could do with fresh seals. The battery cover looks like it might be stuck on as there is damage to it. With it being made of plastic forcing it would have caused this.

Does the battery cover come off with the base plate or is the compartment threaded?IMG_20190622_184958.jpgIMG_20190622_194937.jpgIMG_20190622_195342.jpg

I picked up a couple of Konicas today. First I got this Konica Autoreflex TC body from a tabletop sale for £3. I was told it had been dropped and the top was cracked. When I tried it the mirror wasn't returning without help. After working the shutter a few times it was fine.

It has a small piece missing from the corner of the prism, you might be able to see it in the picture. A bonus was that it has an adaptor for the px13 batteries it takes. Has anybody seen one like this before? The lens is a fungal forty, I didn't want it to look half dressed.

The other Konica was an Auto S3 complete with case, lens cap and battery for £10. It works perfectly but could do with fresh seals. The battery cover looks like it might be stuck on as there is damage to it. With it being made of plastic forcing it would have caused this.

Does the battery cover come off with the base plate or is the compartment threaded?View attachment 248161View attachment 248173View attachment 248174

The TC is a good basic camera and the lens is very good.......I use 1.5v battery in mine and it looks like that battery container of yours is handy as I probably use a rubber ring spacer or whatever in my TC.
Dunno about the S3 as I'm not into rangefinders, but I'd guess that 38mm lens is very good.

I've had quintuplets!
Saw these in a charity shop on the way home tonight, they had a 30% off label for all cameras, so these came home with me. The film isn't exactly cheap but not quite 5x4 levels.
So I'll give them a go!

IMG_20190624_180527-02.jpeg

Last edited:
It's arrived, and the weather forecast for tomorrow is for sunny intervals. :banana:

I think I'm going to shoot my roll of Ektachrome this weekend too. It's been in the fridge since just after Christmas, but I'm off to the Sheffield Steam Rally on Sunday, so I think I ought to give it a go.

I think I'm going to shoot my roll of Ektachrome this weekend too. It's been in the fridge since just after Christmas, but I'm off to the Sheffield Steam Rally on Sunday, so I think I ought to give it a go.
Check the forecast before you load it, as round here they've given Sunday as not being quite as sunny, and it would be a shame to use it if it's going to be a bit on the duller side. (y)

Last edited:
Back