OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

So far today I have bought a Mamiya Auto-lux 35 for £10, a Vivitar 200/3.5 with a T4 SR mount for £6 and a Chinon 35/2.8 in M42 for £8. They were all from the same charity shop. The Mamiya is already loaded with a 400 ASA film so I may as well finish it off.View attachment 290855View attachment 290856View attachment 290857

You must have many cameras and lenses, for me since the bootie has dried up for cheap GAS there is nothing I want to buy as I have everything I need (cameras and lenses) and so annoying when you are down to:- shall I buy a Nikon 20mm or a 85mm lens..oh wait I have a Canon 20mm but in my collection don't have an 85mm lens but then would I use it much. :rolleyes:

"I have all the cameras I need/want"

Didn't last long. Seriously, this is the last one now. Might even have a clear out. Anyone wanna buy a Leica?

Was a price point that was hard to refuse and also came with the 140 flash. This will be my new P&S.

GNM_1300.jpgGNM_1306.jpg

Are you going back to digi?

Well, that Contax G1 is a film camera as I am sure you know, so do you mean the camera I used to take a photo of it?

I have a digital camera again (sadly) for the people who want weddings shot that way. For everything personal, travel, etc I won't be using digital.

Well, that Contax G1 is a film camera as I am sure you know, so do you mean the camera I used to take a photo of it?

I have a digital camera again (sadly) for the people who want weddings shot that way. For everything personal, travel, etc I won't be using digital.

..it's just remembering that you had bought two digi cameras recently? and IIRC ages back mentioned you had got rid of your digi cameras? But hey sometimes I can't rely on my memory :(

..it's just remembering that you had bought two digi cameras recently? and IIRC ages back mentioned you had got rid of your digi cameras? But hey sometimes I can't rely on my memory :(

You're quite right, Brian. I now own two digital cameras but they only come out for work stuff now as well as photographing film cameras it seems. I will never not shoot film for personal stuff.

I've been lusting after a G1 or even a G2 for ages but it's 35mm so I keep talking myself out of it. My cunning plan is to persuade Jan that she wants one.
They are stunning looking cameras and the lenses are excellent... jealous.

I've been lusting after a G1 or even a G2 for ages but it's 35mm so I keep talking myself out of it. My cunning plan is to persuade Jan that she wants one.
They are stunning looking cameras and the lenses are excellent... jealous.

For the price, I couldn’t say no really. Also came with an official Leica strap.
I do have a soft spot for the look of 35mm, even though I see the advantages of 120 (not always better btw).
As a thing it is beautifully made.

I couldn't resist the urge to get this. It said untested/parts but everything seems to work. It even has a battery and film included, XP2 if the box top in the memo holder is anything to go by.

I say everything seems to work but I haven't put any batteries in the MD-E yet. The lens, a Zoom-Nikkor 80-200mm f4.5, has a few bits inside, nothing major. It was worth risking £16 and it paid off.Screenshot_20201007_192123.jpg

Another eBay buy that I'll be picking up tomorrow is this sticky F80 that comes complete with a 50 mm f1.4 lens. Seems like a bargain to me.

It occurs to me too that it's an odd camera to put that lens on as the F80 has no Ai tab for metering.

Screenshot_20201007_231117.jpg

Last edited:
so annoying when you are down to:- shall I buy a Nikon 20mm or a 85mm lens..oh wait I have a Canon 20mm but in my collection don't have an 85mm lens but then would I use it much. :rolleyes:

I don't have any 20mm lenses, though I do have a couple of Nikon 85mm ones. My Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 works with all of my SLRs. I have a decent collection of Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses from 24mm to 500mm and adapters for just about every different mount I have.

I have a decent collection of Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses from 24mm to 500mm and adapters for just about every different mount I have.
I'm very fond of the Tamrons too. My collection isn't as extensive as yours but runs from the 17mm (which lives on my Nikon D600) up to the 300mm. The Konica lens cover came with the 24mm :naughty:

Camera Canon film cameras with Tamron lenses TZ70 P1030467.JPG

Nikon D600 on bed TZ70 TZ70 P1030612.JPG

I don't have any 20mm lenses, though I do have a couple of Nikon 85mm ones. My Tamron SP 90mm f2.5 works with all of my SLRs. I have a decent collection of Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses from 24mm to 500mm and adapters for just about every different mount I have.

A 20mm is very useful and for me as I progressed over the years getting new lenses found that I preferred 35mm to 50mm, 28mm to 35mm and then 24mm to 28mm and now 20mm to 24mm for general use. e.g, buildings, scenery etc. Years ago thought of getting the Tamron SP 90mm for close up work, but won a bid on the bay for a mint Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro for about £7...those were the days when people were "throwing away" film cameras and lenses for peanuts...h'mm memories.

A 20mm is very useful and for me as I progressed over the years getting new lenses found that I preferred 35mm to 50mm, 28mm to 35mm and then 24mm to 28mm and now 20mm to 24mm for general use. e.g, buildings, scenery etc. Years ago thought of getting the Tamron SP 90mm for close up work, but won a bid on the bay for a mint Vivitar 55mm f2.8 macro for about £7...those were the days when people were "throwing away" film cameras and lenses for peanuts...h'mm memories.
I like the 35mm too and do tend to buy them when I have the opportunity. I do have a Vivitar zoom in Nikon mount that is 18-28mm and a Tamron AF 19-35 also in Nikon mount but they're the widest I have.

"I have all the cameras I need/want"

Didn't last long. Seriously, this is the last one now. Might even have a clear out. Anyone wanna buy a Leica?

Was a price point that was hard to refuse and also came with the 140 flash. This will be my new P&S.

View attachment 294766View attachment 294767

Yesss what a beauty, I had one myself a few years back with the 28mm too. I shouldn’t have sold it but there we go :D I almost bought another with the 45mm earlier this year as a bigger brother to the T2 but ended up realising I would probably carry the T2 more anyway! Still doesn’t make me stop wanting one though :LOL:

Yesss what a beauty, I had one myself a few years back with the 28mm too. I shouldn’t have sold it but there we go :D I almost bought another with the 45mm earlier this year as a bigger brother to the T2 but ended up realising I would probably carry the T2 more anyway! Still doesn’t make me stop wanting one though :LOL:

I lusted after a T2 or similar as a P&S but for the money, I this seemed more bang for buck, albeit a little bigger to use as a daily carry. Loaded with Portra 400 now but haven't shot a frame yet :(

I lusted after a T2 or similar as a P&S but for the money, I this seemed more bang for buck, albeit a little bigger to use as a daily carry. Loaded with Portra 400 now but haven't shot a frame yet :(

The G1 is more bang for the buck definitely, more controls and a proper aperture priority. The 28 is superb too, it’s either the sharpest lens I’ve ever used or a very close second behind the sigma 35. I will have another one day for sure, such a joy to use if a little automatic but you’re using it as a point and shoot so you’ll be fine :D

This Minox GL is my latest addition. It came complete with leather case, flash, box and instruction manual. I am testing it with 4 SR44 batteries taped together and it's working well.View attachment 295039
Just found the original Duracell PX27 battery in the box and it still works. There are also manuals and warranties for two Minox 35 GLs and the lever off the film advance. It seems to be broken off, it's made of metal. I can advance the film with the wheel so it's no great loss.IMG_20201010_003940.jpg

Q. How do you make a Canon A1 look even better?

A. Add one of these to it. :)

50489957552_12b8c6fc17_b.jpg

I've always fancied a motor drive for my A1 but, back in 1980 when I bought it, they were around £150 (over £600 at today's prices), so I couldn't resist buying this minter from Ffordes when I saw it for sale at less than £40!

I tried it today and, after installing the required 12 AA batteries(!), it works perfectly, enabling the camera to rattle through film at up to 5 frames per second, which was very fast for the late 70s. It sounds great too - it was like an 80s press conference at my house this afternoon! I think it looks great on the camera too:

50489098298_d79c8c3dd1_b.jpg

I've always fancied a motor drive for my A1 but, back in 1980 when I bought it, they were around £150 (over £600 at today's prices), so I couldn't resist buying this minter from Ffordes when I saw it for sale at less than £40!

I tried it today and, after installing the required 12 AA batteries(!), it works perfectly, enabling the camera to rattle through film at up to 5 frames per second, which was very fast for the late 70s. It sounds great too - it was like an 80s press conference at my house this afternoon! I think it looks great on the camera too:

12 AA batteries plus 6v one must be as powerful as a cordless drill ;)

Are you going to shoot any film with it enabled?

Maybe a roll of Provia 50 or Ektachrome. :D

Are you going to shoot any film with it enabled?

Maybe a roll of Provia 50 or Ektachrome. :D
Probably, next time it's safe for us to have an F&C meet up, just for the heck of it. However, it does come with low speed (3.5fps) and single shot settings as well as 5fps. :sneaky:

I just have to remember to put the lock on that grey button, as that's the override button to engage 5fps at any setting! :oops: :$

Last edited:
I rarely used mine until 2012, when I installed myself on the best corner in Richmond, hours before the Olympics cycle road race was due to come round. I defended that spec with 'accidental' nudges from elbows and the lens hood on my 210mm on to 'push to the front' offenders' ears. With brand new batteries in the drive and a 36 exposure roll of Fuji Press 800 in the A1, I took a quick test burst at 5fps of a police Landrover.

When Cavendish, Wiggins and the main bunch leaned into the corner, I pressed the shutter release and the thing jammed. By the time I'd cleared it, they were all over the bridge. I sat in the beer garden of the White Cross and sulked and cried. I very nearly started smoking again.

I rarely used mine until 2012, when I installed myself on the best corner in Richmond, hours before the Olympics cycle road race was due to come round. I defended that spec with 'accidental' nudges from elbows and the lens hood on my 210mm on to 'push to the front' offenders' ears. With brand new batteries in the drive and a 36 exposure roll of Fuji Press 800 in the A1, I took a quick test burst at 5fps of a police Landrover.

When Cavendish, Wiggins and the main bunch leaned into the corner, I pressed the shutter release and the thing jammed. By the time I'd cleared it, they were all over the bridge. I sat in the beer garden of the White Cross and sulked and cried. I very nearly started smoking again.
Ouch! I made sure I didn't buy that drive until I'd had my A1 serviced and the mirror buffer had been replaced, as I think everything needs to be well lubricated and 'spot on' to cope with 5fps.

Plus welding mask manufacturers too, with that flash going off 5 times a second!

Something I've never done and would be blinding to someone being photographed..anyway put the Canon 300TL flashgun on a T90 firing @ 5 frames per sec and it works for a while (needs to recharge) at the setting "M LOW". Can't see why the 300TL wouldn't work at 5 frames per sec on my A1 but I don't have a motor drive.
On my Minolta auto 360 FX you can select winder sync down to 1/16 full power.

Something I've never done and would be blinding to someone being photographed..anyway put the Canon 300TL flashgun on a T90 firing @ 5 frames per sec and it works for a while (needs to recharge) at the setting "M LOW". Can't see why the 300TL wouldn't work at 5 frames per sec on my A1 but I don't have a motor drive.
On my Minolta auto 360 FX you can select winder sync down to 1/16 full power.
I used to have a 300TL flash when I had my T90s, quite an adaptable (and powerful) flash for it's time. I do like Canon's Speedlite flash range, I know they're not cheap when new, but the forward and backward compatibility is probably worth the premium in the long term. For instance, my 580 EXII and 430 EXII Speedlites work perfectly with my EOS-3 and EOS 30 and 30v cameras, as well as my 6D DSLR. The quality (and compatibility) is remembered long after the price has been forgotten!

I used to have a 300TL flash when I had my T90s, quite an adaptable (and powerful) flash for it's time. I do like Canon's Speedlite flash range, I know they're not cheap when new, but the forward and backward compatibility is probably worth the premium in the long term. For instance, my 580 EXII and 430 EXII Speedlites work perfectly with my EOS-3 and EOS 30 and 30v cameras, as well as my 6D DSLR. The quality (and compatibility) is remembered long after the price has been forgotten!

Something I noticed putting the 300TL on my Canon T70 was.... it wasn't going at 2.5 frames per sec and flashing o_O and found out the old breech mount lens on the camera wasn't keeping up...so the lens has to be "snappy" as well.

Well this seems a site for Asha and the EU mob as everything is in Euros..... interesting looking and maybe a bargain somewhere if you are lucky with a bid but postage to UK can be off putting plus is it a caveat emptor site with no refunds..........................

A couple of new toys for LF , what else! Lol

Rodenstock apo 420mm F/9 lens on a Copal 3 shutter which will cover all my formats and of course give me 420mm on 5x4, 300 ish on 5x7 and 210mm on 10x8

IMG_1463.JPG

Second toy is a 10x8 darkslide that I’ve had cut down ..... I’ll leave with yourselves to figure out the reason.
A clue: Roger Hicks.

IMG_1461.JPG

I went out this pm to test both out but stuffed the idea up good style lol ( see shared outings thread)

Attachments

• IMG_1462.JPG
    IMG_1462.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back