OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

A few photos

The bottom of the camera without the roll counter, would be a good idea to cover it with some tape to fill the gaping hole.

The roll counter, can just see the two screws that hold it in and the copper strips on each side that advance the counter

Removing the top plate for cleaning

[YOUTUBE]xoT6y_6k19w[/YOUTUBE]

Wasnt enough light for a proper video but this shows the basic location of the screws and how quick and easy it is to open it up

Not much point showing the shutter sound comparison as the camera auto gained the volume so they both sound the same :|

What size are they? Unless they are very similar to 120 size (much like the Epson holders, they are held in by the sides of the film).

They are a completely separate entity - you use them as a holder by themselves.

I think they might be too small. Think the brownie ones are 5cm x 5cm or so.

Cool!

What do you think of the camera thus far? I think I'd like to get one of the MF rangefinder type cameras at some point and I'm intrigued by the 645 Fuji cameras.

I've just received my second battery and the GA645 is alive :0) I've loaded a roll of Acros 100 so will develop it once I've finished it and see what the results are like. To be fair, the focus is pretty good (albeit a bit mechanical sounding!) and is probably on par with a Fuji X100 I used to use! I really like the size and use of it although compared to my other film cameras it is basically point and shoot with aperture control but I quite like that.

My Pentacon 6 should be back tomorrow and I've pretty much decided to keep the Fuji so I'll be listing the P6 then.

Cheers
Steve

Removing the top plate for cleaning

Wasnt enough light for a proper video but this shows the basic location of the screws and how quick and easy it is to open it up

Blimey Rob, all you need is one coat of pink glitter nail varnish, and you'd own a perfect pair of girls hands...:D

Not much point showing the shutter sound comparison as the camera auto gained the volume so they both sound the same :|

Yeah, less of a difference than I expected. Thanks for the video though, interesting to see.

These 6x9s are very enticing but I think I still want to keep looking for a Pentax 6x7.

Blimey Rob, all you need is one coat of pink glitter nail varnish, and you'd own a perfect pair of girls hands...:D

:LOL::LOL:

I took a few snaps earlier of the GA645 next to my 5D as a size comparison;

It's a similar size although considerably lighter with the lens being much smaller so handling is pretty good.

Steve

Yeah, less of a difference than I expected. Thanks for the video though, interesting to see.

If you compare the sound of my 690 to some of the others on youtube it's quite a difference as it loses a lot of the twang sound

I was so jealous of you all for getting all these fancy Fujis when I am saving up for my holiday that I made a matchbox pinhole today :D It's loaded with Kentmere 100 and will be used for taking photographs of the warships tomorrow!

You can have a holiday and a Fuji.....you don't need both kidneys ;)

I've just developed a roll of Acros 100 in R09 that I shot this morning with the GA645. Waiting for them to dry before I scan them but from what I can see they look to be very well exposed and sharp so looking good :0) It's quite exciting this film lark...

I've just developed a roll of Acros 100 in R09 that I shot this morning with the GA645. Waiting for them to dry before I scan them but from what I can see they look to be very well exposed and sharp so looking good :0) It's quite exciting this film lark...

Sounds good!

I was reading somewhere that for landscape orientation the camera needs to be held vertically with the right hand on the bottom; is that the case?

Well, I've scanned the negatives in using the standard Epson software on a V750 and I'm pretty impressed with the results :) I'll put a couple in here then post the rest in the "Show your film shots" thread.

This is a crop of the clock face from the photo above!

This one was wide open at F4 so I could check out the bokeh

I'm looking forward to using this at the Chester meet now and I've setup the Data option to include exposure detail on the negative outside of the image which will prove really handy.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Yes, as standard the viewfinder is portrait orientation although you can hold your hand at the top if you prefer (just rotate the negative afterwards)

Steve

Ahh, that's good. I thought I'd read that the right hand had to be at the bottom because of something to do with the rangefinder patch, but maybe that was the Bronica 645 RF.

The pictures look good!

There isn't actually a rangefinder patch (as far as I can tell). The Manual focus is basically according to distance as it's not coupled to the lens. When using Autofocus there is a digital outline in the viewfinder which changes according to the focus distance.

And thanks, I'm really impressed with the results from it. So much so I've listed my Pentacon Six for sale :0)

There isn't actually a rangefinder patch (as far as I can tell). The Manual focus is basically according to distance as it's not coupled to the lens. When using Autofocus there is a digital outline in the viewfinder which changes according to the focus distance.

And thanks, I'm really impressed with the results from it. So much so I've listed my Pentacon Six for sale :0)

Oops, yes, I definitely got confused with the Bronica 645 RF, which was the other MF rangefinder I was looking at.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the camera!

Hi all,

Got my first film camera :) From Nick on the classifieds here. Yashica GTN....

GTN by Steve Babb, on Flickr

can't wait to see the first film...

Very nice.

Enjoy your first foray into film photography and be sure to let us know how you get on. Careful though, film can be a very slippery slope!

Hi all,

Got my first film camera :) From Nick on the classifieds here. Yashica GTN....

GTN by Steve Babb, on Flickr

can't wait to see the first film...

That looks so good, it makes me want it back :LOL:

Haven't seen you post for a couple of days, I thought you were off playing croquet ;)

In a soggy field in deepest darkest Wales with little or no wifi access. But will try and keep an eye on the comings & goings on the f&c section.

Don't worry, no one else has bought a GW690 yet :LOL:

That's what's worrying me, just out of interest what is the delivery time from Japan? :whistle:

2 days from Japan and 4 days from Coventry........:bang:

A little something I picked up for a song on the river based auction site. Seems to be in good nick, just needs a battery for the light meter.

Rollei-XF-35 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Andy

Passed on to me from my Dad recently when he found it clearing out some old stuff.

8902239528_5e608c1b4e.jpg

I think the last time it was used was the late 1980's. It appears to be in good condition and I have ordered a roll of test film. Fingers crossed :)

Very nice little camera, I've had the B, the C and the CL as well as a Vitoret and they all take really nice contrasty shots.

Welcome aboard by the way, especially to the F & C section. We are the friendliest bit of the forum but we are quite musty smelling due to age.:LOL:

Looking forward to seeing the results, which version is it by the way?

Andy

That's what's worrying me, just out of interest what is the delivery time from Japan? :whistle:

I just had a Fuji 250mm delivered and it was posted on Monday, arrived at Heathrow on Tuesday and arrived with a £40 bill :crying: today. Luckily the lens only cost £150 (inc shipping) and even including the Duty etc it is still a great deal.

It's not too long to wait ;)

Passed on to me from my Dad recently when he found it clearing out some old stuff.

8902239528_5e608c1b4e.jpg

I think the last time it was used was the late 1980's. It appears to be in good condition and I have ordered a roll of test film. Fingers crossed :)

Ahhh, Vitos are great little cameras!

Last edited:
Back