Official ID thread

Wasp, Bee or Hoverfly..??? I did think a wasp or been, but can't quite find a match.

mystery-bug-1876.jpg

mystery-bug-1878.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Alf for pointing me in the right direction. I did think a bee or wasp, I also think on the 2nd shot the banding from the hairs is a bit deceiving as it makes it look two colours, when most of the body is black.

Closest match I could find was the Blue Mason Bee, I did see several all investigating the holes in this dead tree.

Another unusual one, only thing I've seen that comes close are Ladybird larvae... but what is it (about 4mm long)

mystery-bug-5281.jpg

Thanks for that Alf... well that's also a new one for me, you've obviously seen these before... so thanks for the heads up...
Not seen one for a while but I have posted one in this thread.

Do you have other shots?
No unfortunately. We were camping on france in the woods and once it started raining we kept finding them everywhere. They didn't have the two black stripes of a German roach so I assumed they are a harmless woodland variety. Hopefully none came home with us.

M

No unfortunately. We were camping on france in the woods and once it started raining we kept finding them everywhere. They didn't have the two black stripes of a German roach so I assumed they are a harmless woodland variety. Hopefully none came home with us.

M

You never said it was France!
Though for England the lesser cockraoch or tawny are possible

Thank you both, I thought it had to be some kind of spider, because of the 8 legs, but a couple of them looked curly at the ends like antennae!

It's not a spider. It has no venom and does not spin silk and it has a single segment body with only 2 eyes. A Harvestman is is related to spiders but is not one.

Any idea what this is?

Its sat on the dashboard of me pickup, I've took a photo of the ignition key next to it for reference to its size, thanks

ID required 1024.jpg

ID with key.jpg

Back