*** Official Nikon D3X Discussion Thread ***

PsiFox

Prefers Mac over PC any day
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hmm anyone want feature list?:)

D3X will be announced on Monday, press launch in London.

My Nikon Pro mag that arrived this morning has full details of the D3x ....

ISO 100 - 1600
24.5 Megapixels
5fps @ 24 megapixels
7fps DX Crop mode

Sensible ISO count and clearly not trying to be a D3/D700. The base ISO of 100 should make the landscape boys happy.

D3X will be announced on Monday, press launch in London.

My Nikon Pro mag that arrived this morning has full details of the D3x ....

ISO 100 - 1600
24.5 Megapixels
5fps @ 24 megapixels
7fps DX Crop mode

Sensible ISO count and clearly not trying to be a D3/D700. The base ISO of 100 should make the landscape boys happy.

It's pretty much precisely what I expected, can't wait to see more!

ISO can be taken down to 50 and boosted to 6400 equivalents
and Extra high "active D lighting" setting

Ops, should have read down the thread!

The sort of spec I was thinking it could be, just gotta see how much it will be.

How does it "fit alongside" the existing D3? What will it do "better", and will the existing D3 do "better"?

Gary.

erm

D3 = 12MP ultra high ISO and FPS

D3x = 24MP lower ISO and FPS ( portrait and lansdcapes )

Notice I said Portrait not studio... Will be great for all types of portrait I suspect. Can't afford one, but if I could I'd get one.

Pete

How does it "fit alongside" the existing D3? What will it do "better", and will the existing D3 do "better"?

Gary.

I reckon that the existing D3's ISO capability, 12MP and FPS are the separating articles.

It's basically a series of facilities that the landscaper, the studio dweller/portrait shooter and the stock kinda photographer don't exactly need, if you don't shoot in low light or need FPS then enter the D3X.:naughty:

Nikon would most likely prefer their heavy users to own both bodies rather than supercede or exterminate the D3 and it's sales, which I'll assume will stay consistent even after the release of the D3X.

Price wise I guess between 3000 - 4000 knicka!

T.

Well Canon sell a 1D and a 1Ds model, why shouldn't Nikon have a D3 & D3x?

Same thing, two different cameras for different jobs.

24mp would be nice but personally i wouldn't have much use for it. My D3 won't be parting my side for a while (D4?).

That's not OUCH at all EG

If the actual quality from those 24mp is excellent, then Nikon has encroached upon the digi MF sales in a huge way, as it's about 1/2 - 1/3 the price of the MF digi boys, and has a much great range of lens options

Clever - if the quality is similar

DD

Indeed. A few mates of mine think I'm silly for expecting these kinda prices, but the thing is Nikon are ahead at the moment, the D3 will continue to sell as Canon don't have a rival, the D3X will sell for bigger price tag, just like the 1DsmkIII when released. Folk will pay it, I can already hear the sound of wanton pre-orders :eek:

Not me though, not yet, I'll wait until it's at least a generation old and then maybe pick one up :D I'm still eyein' up a D2X for a back up!

If the actual quality from those 24mp is excellent, then Nikon has encroached upon the digi MF sales in a huge way, as it's about 1/2 - 1/3 the price of the MF digi boys, and has a much great range of lens options

DD

I say ouch from a personal level. In a universe where my wife, the D3X and I all co-exist, there is gonna be an ouch at some point :D

Three months ago I'd said £3k inc. but I reckon it'll be £3k ex VAT (£3450 rrp?) given the Yen vs Sterling slump.

Thats over £1600 more than the Sony A900 and £1200 more than the Canon 5D MKII... so while I think my guess of £3k is a bit low, it still wouldn't surprise me as the differential is pretty big.

DD

The article does mention one ofthe intended markets is the digi MF .

Three months ago I'd said £3k inc. but I reckon it'll be £3k ex VAT (£3450 rrp?) given the Yen vs Sterling slump.

Thats over £1600 more than the Sony A900 and £1200 more than the Canon 5D MKII... so while I think my guess of £3k is a bit low, it still wouldn't surprise me as the differential is pretty big.

We're thinking similar then - and I reckon we'll see a D800 soon for £2199 or so.

I say ouch from a personal level. In a universe where my wife, the D3X and I all co-exist, there is gonna be an ouch at some point :D

O I C

That's because you live in this world...

"It exists, therefore I NEEEEEEED it"

:LOL:

Poor Mrs EG :shake:

DD

The article does mention one ofthe intended markets is the digi MF .

If it gets close enough or matches them for quality, there'll be an awful lot of used £10k-£20k cameras coming onto the market !!!

DD

there is gonna be an ouch at some point :D

Probably right between your legs Gary at about the point that that lovely gold box arrives on your office desk and then your good lady finds the receipt for said item enclosed therein.....................

I know my wife would go beserk if she knew the cost of the D3 (which she still thinks is my old D2H :eek::thinking::nono:)

Gc

A couple of points.

It'll partner, and not replace, the D3. That camera remains for sports, PJ, press and event shooters needing speed. By lowering the base ISO and keeping the ISO range sensible this new body is clearly aimed at ad, fashion, landscape and studio shooters.

It's also NOT a competitor to the A900 and 5D II. MP count aside the D3x will be every inch a 100% professional tool from the ground-up. It's competition is the £4500 1Ds III so I expect £3399 or thereabouts and a D800 to partner the D700 at the A900/5D II price points. I'm not sure it puts much pressure on the £2500 D3 as your needs will dictate the purchase, not the price.

Probably right between your legs Gary at about the point that that lovely gold box arrives on your office desk and then your good lady finds the receipt for said item enclosed therein.....................

I know my wife would go beserk if she knew the cost of the D3 (which she still thinks is my old D2H :eek::thinking::nono:)

Gc

I know where you live, and, as it's near to my aunt at Alne, I think I may drop in to have a chat with your missis

To avoid such... send £300 cash to my Studio address, in an envelope marked

"DD - please don't tell my wife"

Looks like that new array of studio gear is on it's way - cheers m8 (y)

Any more blatantly sneaky spouses on here???

DD

Gc

LOL

Amazing how many of us get away with that one isnt it?????

I know where you live, and, as it's near to my aunt at Alne, I think I may drop in to have a chat with your missis

To avoid such... send £300 cash to my Studio address, in an envelope marked

"DD - please don't tell my wife"

Looks like that new array of studio gear is on it's way - cheers m8 (y)

Any more blatantly sneaky spouses on here???

DD

Might be

:help::runaway::exit::muted:

Article doesn't say but does mention the 75Mb filesize is suitable for image libraries.
Oh and has vignette control built in.

Does anyone know if it is the Sony sensor or a Nikon own development?

I suspect it will be the 24MP Sony chip. Im very intersted in seeing what the ISO level is like when cramming in 24MP on the full frame sensor. If they get it anywhere near the D3 then it will be a superb camera. Also will it be 10MP in DX?

I'm going to go for £3399 - same launch price as the D3, and seriously undercutting the 1Ds III.

Actually at that price, assuming the noise quality is like the D3 ( but obviously at lower ISOs) then my D700 might be replaced next year with one. They'll have to pry the D3 form my cold rigermortised hands though :LOL:

I've got a real dilemma here. I saw the "D3X" (unmarked and unbranded) about 2 months ago, and as I don't like big bodies I went an ordered a Canon 5D MKII. And the Canon wide angle lens is in the Classified right now.... it would give me what I want now.

On the other hand, a D800 will come within 8 months as sure as eggs are eggs...

Real decision to make here. I definately do not want to lug a D3 class brick around, but a D800 will suit me very nicely. And Nikon has better wide angles...

Back