Official Olympus E-PL5 thread. (other m4/3 are welcome too!) Show off your pics!

wontolla

Misery Guts Monica
Name
I'm not a Misery Guts and Monica is not my Moniker
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I would give a smaller camera a go as I'm getting to old to lug my 40d (and the rest) up hills!
Been looking around for a while, and have always been an Oly fan, in particular the retro film cameras, so I have decided on the E-PL5.
Ordered it today from Amazon, £309.00 with kit lens, flash etc. Seemed a good deal as not many seem to come up SH.
Just wondered if any owners on here have any tips, hints, do's don't do's etc. and what they think of them.
Don't try and put me off, I've decided now, and cant wait to get out with it!

At the request of other posters, this is now becoming the official Olympus E-PL5 thread!

Last edited:
My girlfriend has one (I have an E-M5), it's a great little camera with a solid sensor.

Make sure to enable the Super Control Panel when you first get it, it puts 90% of the controls you'll ever need on a single flat menu which improves shooting no end.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/olyepl1/53-epl5-scp.html

Just had a look at that on a users site, thanks. Downloaded the user manual to try and get a head start on setting up and using, cant see any mention of that!
However I have bookmarked a vid on utube.

Sorry, didn't mean to get you worried - I shouldn't post in a hurry :) The camera is very good, and the add-on viewfinder is very useful (although I never got on with the controls and menus). The reason I'm selling is that this was always my small/light/travel camera, whereas I prefer something more DSLR-like as my 'normal' camera (a GH3 at the moment). I've just replaced the E-PL5 it with a Panasonic GM1 since that does small/light better than any other micro 4/3 camera. I'll miss the viewfinder, though...

Having said all that, you'd have to go to a full frame camera to see any significant improvement on the quality of the images from the E-PL5 :)

I have an EPL-5; glad to see others do too, as I didn't find an owner's thread on here at all. Unless I'm not looking hard enough!

DZK here, but I've not really used the 14-42mm lens yet, as I've got the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 pancake on there for 90% of the time and the 40-150mm kit lens on the other 10%!

As above, enable SCP - should be the first thing you do, as the menus are otherwise a bit unintuitive. I also re-mapped a button or two, to see how I liked things - the default is actually quite good. My only other real tip, per se, is that you want to try to avoid bringing the camera to eye-height if you don't have solid-stone grip. Reason being, that a DSLR would get some bracing against your face, where, if you have no EVF on top, you won't be.

I tend to brace against my chest/waist with the screen flipped out - this also has the benefit of getting low down, without having to hit the deck yourself! I have some full 150mm/300mm equiv shots on my flickr stream (in sig) that show how good the optical stabilisation can be if you're steady. Never had anything at 300mm equiv that is as steady.

It stands to reason that the 5-axis stabilisation must be phenomenal as a result!

Sorry, didn't mean to get you worried - I shouldn't post in a hurry :) The camera is very good, and the add-on viewfinder is very useful (although I never got on with the controls and menus). The reason I'm selling is that this was always my small/light/travel camera, whereas I prefer something more DSLR-like as my 'normal' camera (a GH3 at the moment). I've just replaced the E-PL5 it with a Panasonic GM1 since that does small/light better than any other micro 4/3 camera. I'll miss the viewfinder, though...

Having said all that, you'd have to go to a full frame camera to see any significant improvement on the quality of the images from the E-PL5 :)
Phew! Small n light is what I'm after, the retro look also appeals having used Olympus film RFs for quite some time.
Glad you replied back with a positive though! :D

I have an EPL-5; glad to see others do too, as I didn't find an owner's thread on here at all. Unless I'm not looking hard enough!

DZK here, but I've not really used the 14-42mm lens yet, as I've got the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 pancake on there for 90% of the time and the 40-150mm kit lens on the other 10%!

As above, enable SCP - should be the first thing you do, as the menus are otherwise a bit unintuitive. I also re-mapped a button or two, to see how I liked things - the default is actually quite good. My only other real tip, per se, is that you want to try to avoid bringing the camera to eye-height if you don't have solid-stone grip. Reason being, that a DSLR would get some bracing against your face, where, if you have no EVF on top, you won't be.

I tend to brace against my chest/waist with the screen flipped out - this also has the benefit of getting low down, without having to hit the deck yourself! I have some full 150mm/300mm equiv shots on my flickr stream (in sig) that show how good the optical stabilisation can be if you're steady. Never had anything at 300mm equiv that is as steady.

It stands to reason that the 5-axis stabilisation must be phenomenal as a result!

Low down is a no no with a DSLR, especially while out walking the hills, that's why the E-PL5 appealed, the flip out screen will be real help when doing water/falls/flowers etc.
I will have a look at your Flickr later! Thanks.

It's a great little camera! The touch screen focusing is really cool. I've paired mine with the Panasonic 20/1.7 and Sigma 30/2.8. A tip? Buy some aki-asahi.com leatherette to make it look like an e-p5! :D

Already got some leatherette that I use for my Oly Trips and Rangefinders.
Never thought of that, but of course I didn't know what the camera is like yet.
Thanks.

Anyone used Canon EF lenses with an adapter on micro 4/3?

The problem with Canon EF lenses is that you have no aperture adjustment, so they're always used wide open. There's a trick where you can get the aperture to change by mounting it on a Canon camera, setting the aperture, then removing the lens while holding the DOF preview button, but that seems more than a little awkward!.

The problem with Canon EF lenses is that you have no aperture adjustment, so they're always used wide open. There's a trick where you can get the aperture to change by mounting it on a Canon camera, setting the aperture, then removing the lens while holding the DOF preview button, but that seems more than a little awkward!.
You can get an adaptor that moves the EF lens apertures, instead of being a 'dumb' adaptor if I remember rightly. I recall reading about it on a thread on DP Review. Will see if I saved it down somewhere...

More than a little awkward! Defeats the point of a smaller camera if you have to take your DSLR too! Will have to read up on that one, thanks.

You can get an adaptor that moves the EF lens apertures, instead of being a 'dumb' adaptor if I remember rightly. I recall reading about it on a thread on DP Review. Will see if I saved it down somewhere...

I have done some research on that, but not found one yet. That would be great.
Will have to look harder.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Brilliant! Thanks. There's also one advertised in the UK that looks identical but with the roxsen name.
No worries. I was considering one and a 300mm (for 600mm equiv) for snapping some shots of the birds in the garden as a miniature project. Would have cost no more than £60 all in as well, based on eBay past sales etc. Not likely going to get time to though, but glad to be of assistance.

Those adapters from ebay don't set the aperture in the lens - they add their own iris in the adapter. This has a number of disadvantages:
- they don't work with all Canon lenses
- even when they do work it may not be optimal - the lens design had the iris in a specific place, and that place certainly wasn't behind the lens!
- you don't know what aperture you're setting. I think the adapter is just marked 1-6 or something like that.
- you still don't get auto focus
They're probably worth experimenting with if you have a decent selection of EF lenses, but it may be easier to just get some old second hand FD (manual) lenses. The aperture will certainly adjust and they're nicer to manual focus with.

Those adapters from ebay don't set the aperture in the lens - they add their own iris in the adapter. This has a number of disadvantages:
- they don't work with all Canon lenses
- even when they do work it may not be optimal - the lens design had the iris in a specific place, and that place certainly wasn't behind the lens!
- you don't know what aperture you're setting. I think the adapter is just marked 1-6 or something like that.
- you still don't get auto focus
They're probably worth experimenting with if you have a decent selection of EF lenses, but it may be easier to just get some old second hand FD (manual) lenses. The aperture will certainly adjust and they're nicer to manual focus with.

Yes, I have just been reading that up, I have a few old (but good) Olympus lenses, so may go that way for a convertor and manual focus.
Not too keen on losing my much loved 70-200 L though! (or my Siggy 10-20)

Last edited:
Well, IT'S ARRIVED!! Did NOT expect it today!
White van turned up at tea time 1715!
Opened the box and spread everything out on the table, (finished my pasta first)
First impressions are - Jeez! isn't it small to the 40d! Impressed with the build quality though.
Done the menu bit, (thanks TomB and Silverfox) just stood on the doorstep and took a couple of shots, nothing special,
but impressed with image quality. Will write some more when I get out, possibly tomorrow (if it don't pee down!)
Thanks to those who replied!

Tried mine out with a Roxsen EOS focal reducer today, shooting pics of the kids with my Zeiss lenses. The image quality is amazing, almost film like in rendering :eek: Wasn't expecting too much from the Pen when I bought it (as a second camera) but am using it more and more now...

Tried mine out with a Roxsen EOS focal reducer today, shooting pics of the kids with my Zeiss lenses. The image quality is amazing, almost film like in rendering :eek: Wasn't expecting too much from the Pen when I bought it (as a second camera) but am using it more and more now...
Ooh, have you got some photos to show us? Sounds quite interesting!

Haha it's a small world!

The Panasonic 20/1.7 is usually glued to my epl5, it's so versatile :) One thing I do need to get is the rubber eyecup for the vf2 evf...using it to manual focus in bright light is a nightmare otherwise! I had the same issue with the Sony a7, hence I sold it. At least Olympus have a solution I suppose.

I'm quite happy!
Just got back from Derbyshire (Hartington & Wolfescotedale/Biggindale) & managed a few photos in between showers.
I will sort them soon and post them.

EDIT: Now changed the title.

Last edited:
Here's the first pics from my new camera.
All taken around Hartington in The Peak District, Derbyshire, weather changeable with showers/sunshine/overcast.
Minimal PP done, just slight levels/contrast/hue/saturation.
Some taken on auto, some on P mode and some on Av mode (well, it is my first outing!)

Start of walk, Hartington Halt/Signal Box car park.
Trees with Dandelions in the sun! by wontolla1, on Flickr

Just off the Tissington Trail in a little copse of wood. (and because of another thread on TP)
Wood WigWam by wontolla1, on Flickr

Top of Biggin Dale, appropriately called Dale Head.
Dalehead Biggindale by wontolla1, on Flickr

The Gorse was beautiful on the Limestone hillside, further into Biggin Dale.
Hillside of Gorse by wontolla1, on Flickr

Nice stile and bridge at the junction of Wolfscote Dale and Beresford Dale.
Unusual Stile & Bridge by wontolla1, on Flickr

"The Tower" Limestone stack in the River Dove Beresford Dale.
The Tower in Beresford Dale by wontolla1, on Flickr

That's enough for now, don't want to bore you all!
Now come on and post yours!

That was a faff. No idea how to lift BB code from flickr app!

Hmm, must admit, never tried that!
Must have a go tomorrow, too knackered now!

Here's a 150mm hand-held shot; I've said it elsewhere, but I am super impressed with the IBIS on the EPL-5!

Not got to that bit yet in the manual, but looks awesome!

Back