Official Talk Leica thread

I was all ready to sell my Leica SL and lens.. but then I keep changing my mind..

Current thought is

Keep
Leica SL + 90-280
Leica Q
Leica M10 + 50mm Lux ASPH

Sell
24mm 1.4 ASPH
35mm 1.4 ASPH
90mm 2.0 ASPH APO

Buy
Leica SL 24-90

I use Leica Q + M10 for pleasure and light work, and the Leica SL for work where AF would be a boon.

Then I should just stop thinking about what to buy and what to sell.. and find peace.

Keep the M10 and 50 Lux. Sell the rest and go on holiday somewhere where you can take the photos you've always dreamed of taking.

Back to the very basic basics.

And shoot weddings, music performance, high school performances and other events all with a 50mm?

That is the dream..

Unfortunately you can't always be in the positions you want to be to use it effectively.

I have an M10 and 50 Lux (amongst other lenses). I think I actually preferred the 50 Cron, the only Leica lens I've ever sold. Lighter and sharper.

Otherwise, agree with post 1282.

I have an M10 and 50 Lux (amongst other lenses). I think I actually preferred the 50 Cron, the only Leica lens I've ever sold. Lighter and sharper.

Otherwise, agree with post 1282.

the cron has been a temptation, i'll have a consider after i sell some lenses and get the zoom. Probably won't have the funds for it just now.

I had an unpaid dog commission recently, twins' 10th birthday. 90mm Tele-Elmarit and M10.

34919522944_33062fcdb4_h.jpg

When some places had "6 months+" queues, I went to Clifton Cameras and waited no more than a month.

I don't live in the UK

I went to my local Leica store and asked about the m10 (and I'm going back a few months)

Me: and if I wanted the M10?
Store: chrome or black?
Me: does it effect the wait time?
Store: No, the wait time for you is as long as it takes me to go to the store room for either colour

I think it's all about where you shop, just as you've said Dan

I'm actually a bit loathe to post this....

So many excellent dog shots and here I am with a horse....

What can I say....

The 90mm F2.5 Summarit.

HATED by so many on the internet for daring not to be fast, not to have a focusing coupling made from brass and not to have a leather pouch

I just want to say thanks to these people, keeping the prices low.

Anyway...

Here's a horse!

L1003384.LR.jpg

Did you really expect anything else? It is a Leica after all... :)

"Growing up" on primes, I had an aversion to zooms - I even avoided the 70-200 2.8 II in favour of the 200mm f2, which was terribly impractical for me.

So there's always this worry :D

I had my SL setup for (5) bracketed exposure, as it happened a flock of geese flew overhead and I took some shots, one of the exposures was a double exposure - weird.

Geese by dancook1982, on Flickr

That's really cool! Looks like you've stumbled across an undocumented feature that could be quite fun to use :)

AC7E1B62-29ED-43DA-9C3D-F925B0043C8E.jpeg

From the computer to facebook and downloaded to my ipad, then uploded on here - there’s nothing too see for pixel peepers...

This is from the 35mm 2.4 summarit, I don’t doubt the cron or the lux is a lot better, but I’m far from unhappy

In fact, I’m declaring my “entry into digital M on a budget” project complete*! (M9p, plus 35/90 rits and a 50cron, all 6bit, everything dealer supplied with warranty, new sensor on the M, and all for slightly less than one brand new m10, yes yes it’s still a lot of cash, but a lot less cash that it all would of cost new)

(*No doubt ‘project upgrade’ will start soon enough ;D)

And so far, I’m really, really am happy with it all.

That's really cool! Looks like you've stumbled across an undocumented feature that could be quite fun to use :)

You can do that with Overlay in CaptureOne Pro 11 !!!!
View attachment 120161

From the computer to facebook and downloaded to my ipad, then uploded on here - there’s nothing too see for pixel peepers...

This is from the 35mm 2.4 summarit, I don’t doubt the cron or the lux is a lot better, but I’m far from unhappy

In fact, I’m declaring my “entry into digital M on a budget” project complete*! (M9p, plus 35/90 rits and a 50cron, all 6bit, everything dealer supplied with warranty, new sensor on the M, and all for slightly less than one brand new m10, yes yes it’s still a lot of cash, but a lot less cash that it all would of cost new)

(*No doubt ‘project upgrade’ will start soon enough ;D)

And so far, I’m really, really am happy with it all.

I started with an M9, a Zeiss and a Voightlander, so don't get hung up about it. If you want a fast portrait lens that is ultra sharp the V 75/1.8 is brilliant.

The 50 Cron is probably the sharpest Leica lens I've used, the only issue is it doesn't have a tab.

The transfers have flushed out the colour a bit, but unless everything is calibrated, it's all relative.

Last edited:
You can do that with Overlay in CaptureOne Pro 11 !!!!

I started with an M9, a Zeiss and a Voightlander, so don't get hung up about it. If you want a fast portrait lens that is ultra sharp the V 75/1.8 is brilliant.

The 50 Cron is probably the sharpest Leica lens I've used, the only issue is it doesn't have a tab.

The transfers have flushed out the colour a bit, but unless everything is calibrated, it's all relative.

Yeah its about 100kb after facebook

I have a lenstab ‘claw’ on my cron

I have a fuji (2 in fact) and a 56 f1.2 for portraits, my M is for documentary so f2/2.4 is fine

Overlays in CaptureOne Pro are intended to merge several images and/or text otherwise on a neutral background, although obviously there will be a background image. The image above was not the intended purpose, but works nicely. The opacity or each image can be varied, as well as be rescaled and moved.

As COP11 has a very precise straightening tool, far better than LR CC, it was possible to get these two images to overlay almost perfectly, even though there was some movement as they were taken hand-held.

I traded my SL and 24-90 for a MP240 and various Leica lenses. Now I miss the SL but can't seem to trade back. I do think there isn't much in the image quality that I can detect but in usability terms the SL, with its auto focus, is a lot easier to be successful with.

I think I'd go back to the SL given the opportunity.

Ordered the 75mm f2.0 SL, seems like I'm sticking with the SL for the forseeable future :)

I'm also testing out the 24-90 for shooting 'models' walking towards the camera.

My main gripe at the moment is that using static-AF means you're relying on the camera to acquire AF each time you press the shutter, if it fails and you try again - you're not getting the shot you want, you're gambling on the off-chance it might be good when it works. At least with decent C-AF that keeps up with the target, every-time you commit to a shot you're getting exactly what you want.

It's the same as pre-focusing, you're gambling that the subject will be in stride and not blinking or something silly at that moment.

I will test the C-AF some more to see if I can make it work.

Last edited:
I think you're always going to struggle with C-AF on the SL in anything but bright sunlight. I have the same issue with my Mk1 A7 and they use the same contrast detect AF technique. To be honest, if it was me, I'd be using manual focus on the SL (it does have peaking doesn't it?) and just concentrate on the faces.

I shot a low-light drama performance recently with my A7 and took the bulk of the images with my Samyang 85/1.4 so I'm sure you'd be fine with the gear you've got. I was covering an entire stage with groups of kids scattering across it so a model walking a relatively set path should be fine.

Back