Official Talk Leica thread

Hi, @Adzman808 I checked the calibration on my Leica M9 - Elmarit-M 2,8/90 combo. Fortunately, no problem!

When checking the pics, the KODAK 32 GB SD-card stuck again, not allowing scrolling backwards. This is my second defective KODAK 32 GB SD-card.

So, I put in a Toshiba card. - I liked the KODAK cards partly for sentimental reasons, making me think of my film days using Ektachrome etc. ...
I still have a few, But when using them, I shall always take a spare with me from now on ...

Summarit 2,4 or 2,5 ? - 2,4 is mainly a marketing figure, to simulate product innovation... - In reality, the difference lies within product sample variation... ---

you might try a deep format on the cards, there’s a free app for it

the first summarits (like my 90) where listed as 2.5, but the later ones (like my 35) are listed as 2.4. Internet lore has it that they’re all really 2.4

Capture3.JPG

m9 looks fine, min focus distance, 50 1.4 wide open

(screen grab, so will look soft but you can see that the bit i intended to in focus is, and the there's no significant front/back focus)

When I was doing this on the m240 I was getting back focus, see below (after the below I had the idea to make a solid line on the cork to help me focus!)

Capture4.JPG

Hi, I formatted my 2 defective KODAK 32 GB SD cards with the tool you showed above.

A deep format with my MacBook took over 30 minutes.

After this, the cards seemed to work, scrolling backwards and forwards after taking pics was possible.

But somehow I do not trust the KODAK cards anymore. - Not very rational, I agree .... ---

Hi, a practical question: Which combination to take Leica M9 or SONY A7R2 with Elmarit-M 2,8/90 f 8 ?

Leica M9 handheld:

L1021657_DxO-L902-8-hh-tp.jpg

Leica M9 supported on window-frame :

L1021660_DxO-L902-8-frame-tp.jpg

SONY A7R2 handheld, IBIS :

DSC05908-a7r2-3-L902-8-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Looking more closely. - This is where my difficulties began. I always take JPEGs with the SONY; in camera settings: saturation +1, contrast +1, sharpness +3. The files are around 20MB.

With the M9 I take DNGs. To compensate the internal settings of the SONY I selected in DxO contrast +30 (of 100) and microcontrast +100, not knowing what SONY does for sharpness.

Crops of the middle:

M9 handheld:

L1021657_DxO-L902-8-hh-c-m-tp.jpg

M9 - frame-supported:

L1021660_DxO-L902-8-frame-c-m-tp.jpg

SONY handheld, IBIS :

DSC05908-a7r2-3-L902-8-m-c-tp.jpg

Last edited:
What does this mean? I was quite surprised that the difference between handheld and frame-supported was minimal. This may be due to my steady hand as a shooter...

I expected the SONY to perform better. Perhaps, my tweaking of the DxO settings for the M9 played a part. But it is difficult to establish parity, with differences in resolution
and functionality ...

So, which combination to take? When higher ISOs are necessary, I would take the SONY.

Second thoughts - after a walk with the dog: The above series of pics is personal - not to say subjective. But by listing how they came about others would come to the same results.

But even an objective comparison would be difficult, the systems are simply too different. So, I leave it at that. ---

Last edited:
Hi, SONY A7R2 - ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50 Voigtländer VM - E Close Focus Adapter f 1,5 :

DSC05913-a7r2-3-z50s-15-tp.jpg

Adapting makes sense here, I think. The Sonnar has focus shift, compensated by live view. Going up to 1/8000 sec exposure makes grey filters unnecessary.
The close focus adapter allows you to get closer. And the tilt screen and IBIS are also helpful.

DearSusan shows pics with the Sonnar attached to the A7R2 every no and then.

What you do not have is the nice Leica handling feeling, however. But you can't have it all ... ---

Last edited:
Hi, (SONY A7R2 - LEITZ Macro-Elmarit-R 2,8/60 f 2,8) :

DSC06111-a7r2-3-L60m-28-tp.jpg

DSC06116-a7r2-3-L60m-28-tp.jpg

DSC06120-a7r2-3-L60m-28-tp.jpg

When you get closer, DoF is decreased, and minimal wind can lead to motion blurr. I like the Bokeh of the Macro-Elmarit-R, but not the size and its weight, to which
the adapter must be added ...

Hi, the Macro-Elmarit-R works beautifully on the A7R2. Macro-use is not much fun on the M9. A Leica with live.-view works better, I think.

But why not use the Macro-Elmarit-R as a normal 60mm lens? To find out, whether this make some sense, I compared it to the Leica Summicron 2/50.

The same setup as in #2933 above. Crops are taken from this:

L1021664_DxO-L50c-28-c-tp.jpg

M9-Summicron f 2,8, middle-crop:

L1021664_DxO-L50c-28-cm-tp.jpg

M9-Macro-Elmarit-R f 2,8 middle-crop:

L1021672_DxO-L60m-28standard-cm-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Landscape pics with f 2,8 do not make too much sense. So, let's do it with f 8.

M9-Summicron f 8, middle crop :

L1021665_DxO-L50c-8-cm-tp.jpg

M9-Macro-Elmarit f 8, middle-crop :

L1021674_DxO-L60m-8-standard-cm-tp.jpg

M9-Summicron f 8, corner-crop:

L1021665_DxO-L50c-8-cr-tp.jpg

M9-Macro-Elmarit f 8, corner-crop :

L1021674_DxO-L60m-8-standard-cr-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Now, what to make of this? The Macro-Elmarit-R appears (to me) to be a little contrastier in the corner than the Summicron, which appears to perform better in the middle.

But for the M9, this means doing without distance metering; so one loses flexibility and carries more bulk and weight for a little gain.

In the past, I used cameras without distance metering (ROLLEI 35) quite happily. But these were the days of estimated hyper-focal focussing long before digitally-enabled
corner-peeping set in ...

I do not see the Macro-Elmarit-R used more often by me on the M9 than in the past - practically never.

Last edited:

P40 Pro - leica lens
...Although I guess the Aperture mode is more feeling like software... very well done software....
Also for the camera, it depends on the mode you shot with to get the pictures. Different modes give different options, including high res (50mp) and AI enhanced.

from DXO Mark site
"
Tele-camera

The P40 Pro’s tele-camera comes with similar technology to last year’s P30 Pro. The module is optically stabilized and uses folded optics to achieve a 5x optical zoom factor (125mm equivalent).
“Field-of-view fusion” zoom

The P40 Pro doesn’t rely just on hardware alone for zooming, however. Like the P30 Pro, the P40 Pro uses software systems which Huawei calls field-of-view fusion and AI RAW, a combination of optical and algorithm-powered digital zooming that adapts to the chosen magnification factor. Only the primary camera is used for up to 2x magnification; the tele-camera takes over from 5x and longer. For intermediate zoom factors, the P40 Pro uses a fusion algorithm that combines image data from both cameras, merging several RAW frames from the main and tele cameras into one high-resolution frame, which is then cropped for zooming.

For optimal detail, the 5x tele-cam records image data at the center of the frame; it uses AI-refined image data from the primary camera to fill in the “missing” image areas around the edges. A deep learning algorithm improves detail on fine patterns and textures—quite an impressive feat, considering that autofocus, white balance, and other image parameters of both cameras all have to be in perfect sync for good results.

At the long end, the camera is capable of achieving a 50x zoom factor using a combination of optical zoom and super-resolution processing that stacks multiple RAW frames from the tele-cam.
"

P40 Pro - leica lens
...Although I guess the Aperture mode is more feeling like software... very well done software....
Also for the camera, it depends on the mode you shot with to get the pictures. Different modes give different options, including high res (50mp) and AI enhanced.

from DXO Mark site
"
Tele-camera

The P40 Pro’s tele-camera comes with similar technology to last year’s P30 Pro. The module is optically stabilized and uses folded optics to achieve a 5x optical zoom factor (125mm equivalent).
“Field-of-view fusion” zoom

The P40 Pro doesn’t rely just on hardware alone for zooming, however. Like the P30 Pro, the P40 Pro uses software systems which Huawei calls field-of-view fusion and AI RAW, a combination of optical and algorithm-powered digital zooming that adapts to the chosen magnification factor. Only the primary camera is used for up to 2x magnification; the tele-camera takes over from 5x and longer. For intermediate zoom factors, the P40 Pro uses a fusion algorithm that combines image data from both cameras, merging several RAW frames from the main and tele cameras into one high-resolution frame, which is then cropped for zooming.

For optimal detail, the 5x tele-cam records image data at the center of the frame; it uses AI-refined image data from the primary camera to fill in the “missing” image areas around the edges. A deep learning algorithm improves detail on fine patterns and textures—quite an impressive feat, considering that autofocus, white balance, and other image parameters of both cameras all have to be in perfect sync for good results.

At the long end, the camera is capable of achieving a 50x zoom factor using a combination of optical zoom and super-resolution processing that stacks multiple RAW frames from the tele-cam.
"

My P20 has a F0.95 mode, which is clearly software (0.95 on a phone sensor must be the equivalent of about f22 on a FF sensor camera :LOL:) but it can look quite good when it gets it right!

Don't normally do pics of my kid on the internet (normally I take pictures of random strangers and put them on the internet )

But street photography is off the cards these days, and I like this photo (emotional investment of the subject more than deep seated belief in the quality of the picture itself!)

I've quite new to the 240 (got it January 2020) and I've been playing around with it trying to figure out if setting max ISO to 3200 (or even 1600), then pushing the last stop (or two) myself in post makes for a cleaner image (it did on the early Fujis and also that's how I shoot my M9)...

so far.... I'm not convinced it does!

Anyway, here's the shot, iso 3200 and selectively pushed about a stop (maybe 1.1/3) and taken with the 35 2.4 summarit

Stay safe everyone

M1002985.SP10_1.jpg

Back