Official Talk Leica thread

Fair point :0) Just trying to think of a reason why Leica wouldn't show the equivalent cropped view in the EVF when it's just a digital crop of the sensor readout to give an equivalent FOV?

Well it matches the M series in the way a rangefinder has frame-lines.

Maybe they prefer having a view around the frame as an aid for correcting composition or detecting elements about to enter the frame.

Hi, from the dpreview review of the Q2 quoted above:

"The new sensor also brings about an additional 'digital frame selector' (crop) mode of 75mm. The Q2 offers 35mm, 50mm and 75mm equiv. crop options which result in 30MP, 15MP and 6.6MP sized files, respectively."

Of course, you get the angle of view of a 28mm lens, which one has to take into account.

This approach used with a 21mm lens e.g. might run into difficulties when making a 75mm crop, because 75mm is a typical portrait lens focal length. You might find faces a little round ...

So, with 28mm it is viable, especially for landscapes.

"The new sensor also brings about an additional 'digital frame selector' (crop) mode of 75mm. The Q2 offers 35mm, 50mm and 75mm equiv. crop options which result in 30MP, 15MP and 6.6MP sized files, respectively."

Of course, you get the angle of view of a 28mm lens, which one has to take into account.

This approach used with a 21mm lens e.g. might run into difficulties when making a 75mm crop, because 75mm is a typical portrait lens focal length. You might find faces a little round ...

If you used 75mm crop mode on the Leica Q, the image would be 6.6MP and at f1.7 would give you an equivalence depth of field of 75mm lens at f4.55 - so other than the image quality and depth of field difference, the image distortion/field of view would be for intents and purposes the same as using a 75mm lens from the same position.

Last edited:

As per my other posts, it's something that's available on many digital cameras already, but the combination of large native resolution and quality lens should mitigate some of the associate negatives with basically just cropping your image in camera rather than afterwards.

53285652_10161786355855227_2402995912478556160_o.jpg

53794482_10161786355830227_4379264533219246080_o.jpg

If you used 75mm crop mode on the Leica Q, the image would be 6.6MP and at f1.7 would give you an equivalence depth of field of 75mm lens at f4.55 - so other than the image quality and depth of field difference, the image distortion/field of view would be for intents and purposes the same as using a 75mm lens from the same position.

Yes, this is not a bokeh machine, though with a large high-res sensor and sharp lens you can take a few liberties with cropping. I just worked out the equivalence in terms of depth of field:

35mm = 1.25x crop = 30mp @ f2.1 (-0.7 stops)
50mm = 1.79x crop = 15mp @ f3.0 (-1.7 stops)
75mm = 2.67x crop = 6.6mp @ f4.5 (-2.8 stops)

Image quality at 75mm will take a noticeable hit with both pixels and lens MTF performance dropping substantially. At 75mm, the camera is basically working with a 1in sensor (which has a 2.7x crop factor).

Last edited:
Last edited:
Drool..thanks Dan. Is there any internal memory ?

No, it tells me no SD-card inserted and there is no format options for internal memory.

The Q2 shutter is quieter than the already quiet Q - and the EVF seems larger, colours more true to life and crisp/contrasty

No, it tells me no SD-card inserted and there is no format options for internal memory.

The Q2 shutter is quieter than the already quiet Q - and the EVF seems larger, colours more true to life and crisp/contrasty

Thanks Dan...Drooling even more now.

OK, so *why* would anyone want to splash out on the Q2? Apparently you can't back button focus with it using a single button - you have to keep a function button pressed and then use the shutter?

I don't need one either, nor do I want one, at least I don't think so. Jono's sample shots look very good though ...

Last edited:
Yes, it's just a digital crop - you do get frame lines in-camera though to visualise the crop and it auto soft-crops it when you import the RAW into Lightroom.

You can still retrieve the 28mm view afterwards if you decide

I do like the sound of this feature. I wish Fuji would do it their X100 line.

OK, so *why* would anyone want to splash out on the Q2? Apparently you can't back button focus with it using a single button - you have to keep a function button pressed and then use the shutter?

I'm sure that there will be many good deals on Qs and QPs now so you could pick up a bargain. I got a QP for £3360 brand new with the spare battery a couple of weeks ago.

I do like the sound of this feature. I wish Fuji would do it their X100 line.

The X100 is already an APS-C sensor so cropping into it is going to show a degradation in quality more quickly (especially in the world of pixel peepers!). Whilst it may help with your composition in camera, it’s not really any different than cropping in post.

The X100 is already an APS-C sensor so cropping into it is going to show a degradation in quality more quickly (especially in the world of pixel peepers!). Whilst it may help with your composition in camera, it’s not really any different than cropping in post.
Plus, the X100F does have a digital crop on camera. Only difference the EVF actually zooms in and doesn't give the lines as such (I think).

It's indentical to cropping in post.

For those who prefer a 35mm lens to the Q2's 28mm, when the Q2 is cropped to a 35mm field of view it ends up as near as damn it the same as the APS-C Fuji X100 with same field of view, very similar DoF, and 30mp vs Fuji's 24mp.

In theory, the Q2 should have the edge on image quality (better lens, slightly larger image area, a few more pixels) and pixel peeping should reveal it, but in practical terms it'll be pretty hard to see.

On the other hand, that kind of comparison really misses the point of the Q2 - it's more than just a rich man's Fuji ;)

Thank you for these most impressive high-Iso samples! (y) ---

Sorry for starting the crop-feature discussion yesterday. :sorry: This is a nice convenience feature and should be seen as such, not meriting too deep scrutiny. ---

Looking forward to more Q2 samples from you... :)

Cheers! Old iron fun Leica M9 (from 2010) - LEITZ (Leica) Summicron 2/35 pre-asph. (from 1988), f 2:

L1015746_DxO-L35summ-2-tp_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Thanks for sharing Dan, even the 12500 might be usable with some NR work, certainly good enough for B&W and most importantly the banding that ruined some of my original Q shots seems delightfully absent!

Quick question regarding M9 Leica's. Once the original sensor has been replaced is the sensor sorted for good. IE if one was looking for an M9 that had it's sensor replaced in 2015/2016 could one expect no further issues?

(Asking for a friend :ROFLMAO:)

Quick question regarding M9 Leica's. Once the original sensor has been replaced is the sensor sorted for good. IE if one was looking for an M9 that had it's sensor replaced in 2015/2016 could one expect no further issues?

Hi, I had mine replaced, had no problems before, have no problems since. Typically, when the sensor is replaced by Leica, a general checkup is done (has to be paid).

If there is no service bill, the letter paint on the buttons is refreshed. So, you can tell ...

Hi, I had mine replaced, had no problems before, have no problems since. Typically, when the sensor is replaced by Leica, a general checkup is done (has to be paid).

If there is no service bill, the letter paint on the buttons is refreshed. So, you can tell ...
Good to know. Wasn't sure if the replacement sensors corroded as well!

Hi, this looks almost like a picture from the austere 50s. To save expensive film, two mountain peaks in one pic (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/28 asph. f 8):

L1016144_DxO-L28a-8-tp.jpg

It’s not quite that straightforward....

Yes but no....

To begin with Leica fitted the same old spec sensor, and that could corrode again

Then they redesigned the sensor (well the cover glass) and these sensors are supposed to not have the corrosion issue (but like all sensors, electrics, things - can still go wrong)

I’m not sure exactly when the new sensor came to be, and I’d be a little scared of inadvertently giving bad advice.

I fear 2015/16 is either on the cusp or before.... but I could easily be wrong. There’s also TALK of there being a 5 year warranty on replaced sensors, but others say that’s only true if the sensor replacement was paid for and not gratis

With all the conjucture and heresay about this online, I’d play it safe personally and get as late as possible replacement sensor model as it seems every time Leica mention the M9 sensor it’s too put the price up (currently £1400 iirc)

APPARENTLY if you contact Leica with the serial number of the camera they can provide details of what sensor it has...

HTH?

Last edited:
It’s not quite that straightforward....

Yes but no....

To begin with Leica fitted the same old spec sensor, and that could corrode again

Then they redesigned the sensor (well the cover glass) and these sensors are supposed to not have the corrosion issue (but like all sensors, electrics, things - can still go wrong)

I’m not sure exactly when the new sensor came to be, and I’d be a little scared of inadvertently giving bad advice.

I fear 2015/16 is either on the cusp or before.... but I could easily be wrong. There’s also TALK of there being a 5 year warranty on replaced sensors, but others say that’s only true if the sensor replacement was paid for and not gratis

With all the conjucture and heresay about this online, I’d play it safe personally and get as late as possible replacement sensor model as it seems every time Leica mention the M9 sensor it’s too put the price up (currently £1400 iirc)

APPARENTLY if you contact Leica with the serial number of the camera they can provide details of what sensor it has...

HTH?
Thanks Adam, yeah that's my understanding too reading through pages and pages of Google searches. Earlier swapped out sensors can require further changes.

Think I'm going to keep a sharp eye out for a later replaced sensor model as suggested.

Think I'm going to keep a sharp eye out for a later replaced sensor model as suggested.

Hi, I had my sensor changed 3/2017. ---

Leica M9 - Leica Elmarit 2,8/28 asph., F 8:

L1016069_DxO-L28a-8-tp.jpg

L1016072_DxO-L28a-8-tp.jpg

L1016079_DxO-L28a-8-tp.jpg

The lower left corner looks a little grey-green. I did not find this mentioned in any of the enthusiastic reviews of the Elmarit.

Nothing to get excited or write angry letters to Leica about, I would say.

One can always stay indoors and wait for better weather :), or use another Leica lens profile. The one for the previous version
of the Elmarit works better in this respect.

Leica Q2

I made liberal use of the crop modes, 35mm and 50mm - I have read that people don't see the point when you can just crop in post. Well here is the point..

When I'm using 35mm/50mm I'm making a decision on how to frame the subject, I can see the boundaries so I can make a composition. When I take these images back to lightroom I have a soft-crop which I can modify.

If we did not have crop modes I would be overwhelmed with many 28mm images that need cropping and no clear idea of what my vision was at the time.

The 85MB raws fill a 128gb card quickly, which was a bit of a worry as I didn't bring additional cards.

https://danielcookphotography.pixieset.com/g/gtlivesessions-8/

Q2 - Live Music by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

@dancook

Thanks for these Dan. Been having a bit of a wobble waiting for Q2...still waiting. But looking forward to it.

Back