Official Talk Leica thread

As an exercise of being able to trust the 50mm to deliver results, I am happy :) I'm may reach a limit of ISO where cropping in is too damaging, but I always knew this.

As an exercise of being able to trust the 50mm to deliver results, I am happy :) I'm may reach a limit of ISO where cropping in is too damaging, but I always knew this.

One thing that can help a picture is downsizing for final use... If "all" you want is a 1,000 pixel wide picture to post on line or a 2,000 pixel wide picture to fill the screen on your pc or a picture to print x big after sizing the file for that use many of the problems we see when pixel peeping what is really a very big picture often IMO don't look anywhere near as significant.

Maybe :D

PS.
I have very high ISO pictures taken with MFT that look pretty bad when pixel peeping but as whole pictures viewed anything like normally they're fine and I'd expect this new Leica to do... better... and to be easily up to many uses for many people.

Last edited:
One thing that can help a picture is downsizing for final use... If "all" you want is a 1,000 pixel wide picture to post on line or a 2,000 pixel wide picture to fill the screen on your pc or a picture to print x big after sizing the file for that use many of the problems we see when pixel peeping what is really a very big picture often IMO don't look anywhere near as significant.

Maybe :D

PS.
I have very high ISO pictures taken with MFT that look pretty bad when pixel peeping but as whole pictures viewed anything like normally they're fine and I'd expect this new Leica to do... better... and to be easily up to many uses for many people.

Mostly I want to deliver up to 3600x3600 images to clients which are not significantly noisy, so that is my benchmark for what I find acceptable in many cases.

But it does depends who the images are for and many other factors :)

Hi, Leica M9 - Leica Elmarit 2,8/28 asph., F 2,8:

L1016137_DxO-L28a-28-tp_bearbeitet-1.jpg

Of course, just using a 28mm lens on an M9 does not give you a Q2 experience. To achieve functional equivalence, one needs a monopod.

And croppability requires a high-resolution lens and sensor. And there is high-ISO capability, greater DOF, and much more ... ---

So, two different worlds ---

Good news, I've just downloaded some Q2 Raws from photographyblog.com
Delighted that my ageing MBP is able to handle them, little bit slow. But good enough for me.
And I can continue to use Aperture as they are DNG
Still waiting, even more excitedly for delivery..

Come on....

Hi, LEICA M9- Elmarit 2,8/28 pre-asph., f 2,8, handheld:

L1016250_DxO-L28-28-c-tp.jpg

L1016250_DxO-L28-28-tp.jpg

I bought this 28 after the asph. version in my SONY adapting days. I hoped it would perform better than the asph. version ... ---

I got the SONY FE 2/28 after this, and that settled it.

The pre.-asph. Elmarit is a good lens, but much bigger than the asph. It appears to flare a little, though.

Last edited:
Yeah I imagine even at RRP it's a good investment. Maybe I'll wait a little until stock is readily available.

Yeah I imagine even at RRP it's a good investment. Maybe I'll wait a little until stock is readily available.

When i looked for my Q they were still on waiting lists in the UK, i ended up buying while in Barcelona shop there had 3 on the shelf? plus i saved a few pounds because of the exchange rate, that was back in the day before BREXIT!

When i looked for my Q they were still on waiting lists in the UK, i ended up buying while in Barcelona shop there had 3 on the shelf? plus i saved a few pounds because of the exchange rate, that was back in the day before BREXIT!

I live in Portugal, and not long after the M10 landed UK folk were complaining about waiting lists, I asked what the waiting list was like at my local store, and was told “the amount of time it takes me to walk to the store room”

As Justin says, the exchange rate aint what it was these days, but if anyone is super desperate for a Q2 (or anything else Leica related) then maybe it’s worth surprising the significant other in your life with a European city break ;-)

Super.
Keep thinking of getting another M4-P. Miss mine, although I hardly shoot film nowadays.
Thanks.
I think they're great little cameras, as are the lenses. You ought to get another, they'll last for a lot of years...

Hi, Leica M9 - ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50 f1,5:

L1015824_DxO-z50s-tp.jpg

The Sonnar is discussed at Dear Susan for Hassy-attachment. It works on "Super"-"FF", and may also work on the Fuji GFX 50R ... ---

Last edited:
Hi, Leica M9 - ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 f 1,4 :

L1016298_DxO-z35di-14-tp.jpg

The Distagon is my best 35mm lens, and also highly appreciated by reviewers at Dear Susan. - I do not like its size and weight. My 35mm Summicron or the
28mm Elmarit asph. are more to my taste ... Maybe, Leica will bring out a more compact 35mm Apo-Summicron in the future ---

The Summilux is a little lighter - 61g, but has field curvature. Thus, it is not a very compelling alternative to my Distagon, I think.

More 7artisans 50mm F1.1 love!

(all with the M9p)

L1016916.LR.jpg

This is wide open (F1.1) - the bokeh is a "bit" nasty (as you'll see in the later images, if I managed to figure out a file size that TP is happy with before I get bored and give up!!) but if one pays attention to what's in the background, then it's not too bad.... IMO / YMMV

Also pleased to nail focus - which is always a bit tricky at 50mm/F1.1 on the M9 with zero live view and a LCD that indicates little more than you actually managed to take a picture :-D

Hmmmm now TP is telling me that 790kb is too large.... what the actual <expletive deleted>

I'll try a fresh post, but it could be a case found in the words of the great philosopher Bugs Bunny.... That's all folks :)

EDIT: I give up, the image above is 1.7mb (2048px long edge), the forum isn't letting me upload even <800kb files @ 1000px, so ce la vie mon ami. Sorry

Last edited:
Thanks Alan!

OK now at 720px and jpeg quality 90 and it works!

So where was I?

Oh yes!

L1016912.LR.jpg

I think this might be f1.4 (it's a leica M - it doesn't record real F stop in exif, the camera guesses and I had a 2stop ND on so it has no real clue!)

If the OOF areas are far away, then the 'bokeh' isn't to harsh IMO / YMMV

L1016920-Edit.LR.jpg

Wide open it glows a bit (and can flare a LOT, but then so does the 50 'cron) - this glow can suit certain subjects IMO / YMMV

L1016917-Edit.LR.jpg

Here though we can see that the OOF areas are pretty gnarly (not IMO that the noctilux is the absolute last word in bokeh quality to be fair...)

I think here I'm also seeing that the M9 is after all a 8ish stop DR camera and this was a pretty high contrast scene.

Of course I could've stopped down (or just used the cron), but that would of defeated the object of my post about the 7a wide open :-D

These have been edited in LR from DNG. With this lens I do tend to make both global and local contrast and clarity adjustments.

If I owned PS (and if I knew how to use it) then I'm sure that they'd be a way to smooth out the rough edges and get a more erm 'modern' looking rendering

But IMO that's not necessarily the point of the 7a, it's got a bit of character and suits some scenes better than others.

Ok, I'm done.

Back to you lucky folks who've got Q2s and vast lens collections :)

I can’t believe that there are folks here that are comparing leica Q2 to ANYTHING Sony.......... sad

I can’t believe that there are folks here that are comparing leica Q2 to ANYTHING Sony.......... sad

I know there are people who would never dream of comparing some kit to other (and gosh forbid cheaper) kit and it saddens me :(

dpreview does it:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-q2-first-impressions-review/2

The Q2 comes out a winner, I would say.

It is a good, some might say unique, camera.

Presently, I am happy with the systems I actively use: Leica, Nikon, Sony.

If my subjects were to change, and if I were to use only one camera in the more distant future, the Q(X) would be a serious contender.

Picking my Q2 up on Friday on the way to Japan for two weeks, saved 15% by getting it duty-free so it's almost a bargain :LOL:

Back