Official Talk Leica thread

Hi all. Quick question if I may regarding Elmarit-R 35, Summicron-R 50 and 90 all of which have 55 mm filter threads and integrated hood. I want to affix a polariser (13335 or 13357). Does anyone know if the hood grabs the polariser for operation (ie rotate hood to rotate polariser)? Further, i presume there is no issue with attaching another filter over the top (ND, colour) and using the polariser with the good attached in this fashion? This is all on an R6. Thank you.

Hi, Frankfurt-Niederrad/D cemetery ... (Leica M9 - ZEISS Biogon 2,8/25 f 2,8) :

Sun at 13.00 (position):

L1022739_DxO-z25b-28.jpg

A few steps to the left ... :

L1022740_DxO-z25b-28.jpg

For the cemetery thread, cropped:

L1022740_DxO-z25b-28-c.jpg

Even a very flare-resistant lens can flare. Who would have thought that ??? ;)

Hi, the Rhein-Main Congress Center ... (Leica M9 - ZEISS Biogon 2,8/25 f 5,6 ; crop) :

L1022575_DxO-z25b-56-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1022575_DxO-z25b-56.jpg
    L1022575_DxO-z25b-56.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 2
Hi, to the castle in Alzey/D ... (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/24 asph. f 5,6 ; crop) :

L1022027_DxO-L24a-56-c-tp.jpg

Attachments

• L1022027_DxO-L24a-56-tp.jpg
    L1022027_DxO-L24a-56-tp.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 2
Hi, this brand might become less popular in the future. --- Cannot think of a toast. - To your health ??? (Leica M9 - ZEISS Biogon 2,8/25 f 2,8 ; crop) :

L1022786_DxO-z25b-28-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1022786_DxO-z25b-28.jpg
    L1022786_DxO-z25b-28.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 4
Hi, in case you did not know ... Many Leica M mount lenses resolution tested on the Leica M240 and the SONY A7R2. Mea res agitur ... ;) :

Hi, .... (Leica M9 - ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 f 1,4 ; crop) :

L1002319_DxO-z35d-14-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1002319_DxO-z35d-14.jpg
    L1002319_DxO-z35d-14.jpg
    459.7 KB · Views: 3
No more M9 sensor replacement.

This is bad news! (n)(n)(n) I have 2 M9s (with replaced sensors). I would have expected that Leica bought a sufficient quantity of CCD sensors to support M9 customers in the future ... ---

(On the the other hand, I find the upgrade offer to the M10-R fair ... --- )

Last edited:
This is bad news! (n)(n)(n) I have 2 M9s (with replaced sensors). I would have expected that Leica bought a sufficient quantity of CCD sensors to support M9 customers in the future ... ---

I’ve read mixed opinions online about this.
I confirmed with Leica a month or so ago about my sensor and it was replaced with the latter variant which doesn’t corrode. I think a lot out there have been, but it will cripple the used market for those which haven’t been repaired.

Not sure how it will fair for the used market in general of those that have had replacements.
There is a lot of love for the M9 out there still and as I saw with the M8, the prices still crept a little even when a lot of the parts were no longer able to be replaced - rear screens, sensors etc.

I confirmed with Leica a month or so ago about my sensor and it was replaced with the 1)latter variant which doesn’t corrode. I think a lot out there have been, but it will cripple the used market for those which haven’t been repaired.

2)Not sure how it will fair for the used market in general of those that have had replacements.
There is a lot of love for the M9 out there still and as I saw with the M8, the prices still crept a little even when a lot of the parts were no longer able to be replaced - rear screens, sensors etc.

Hi, ad1) I really do not have to worry (too much).

ad2) The M10-R is 7990 € in Germany. Subtracting the upgrade price 6121 € makes 1869 €. For my last M9 I bought refurbished, used, I paid 2000 €. So, I could live with that.

I confirmed with Leica a month or so ago about my sensor and it was replaced with the latter variant which doesn’t corrode. I think a lot out there have been, but it will cripple the used market for those which haven’t been repaired.

Not sure how it will fair for the used market in general of those that have had replacements.
Those with later non corroding sensor replacements like you will continue to enjoy good resale costs I would imagine, so long as they have the necessary paperwork to back it up.

Anyone who has an M9 without a sensor replacement is stuck in a bit of a hope really as from everything I’ve read the sensor will corrode at some point in time.

as written the upgrade program applies only to cameras with corroded sensors..

so...

customer #1 “hello my M9 has a corroded sensor, can you fix it?”

leica “no but we can make you a deal on an upgrade”

customer #2 “hello my M9 has a dead sensor, can you fix it?”

leica “no throw it in the bin and buy a new leica at full price”

=======

I love my M9p (which has an October 2017 replacement sensor) but sometimes I wonder if I should get out while it all works and the value is still about what I paid for it (more or less... hmmm probably less!)

The M10-R is 7990 € in Germany.

The 10R (you’re so buying one Immo, we can all see it coming :banana:) costs €8200 in Portugal and £7100 (about €7830) in the UK

Seems like it’s high time you treated mrs. Immo to an exciting mini break in one of Europes many great cities.. London perhaps? ;)

The 10R (you’re so buying one Immo, we can all see it coming :banana:) costs €8200 in Portugal and £7100 (about €7830) in the UK

Seems like it’s high time you treated mrs. Immo to an exciting mini break in one of Europes many great cities.. London perhaps? ;)

Hi, I am very (very) undecided. --- It is not a question of money for me, fortunately or unfortunately... It may sound silly, but I am quite happy with my M9s.

And with the SONYs I have 42MP cameras with IS, tilt screen, etc. Resolution-wise, the next SONY might have 100MP.

I would find it quite hard to make it an M10-R deal anywhere in Europe. There is a Business Class flight,the hotel and restaurants to cover, and taxi to and from the airport,
and the same at home. ---

Maybe, I am an old-iron man. My Mercedes S-class is 30 years old, my Mercedes V8 Estate is 18 years, and I am quite happy in all this abject misery ... ---

And I do not like looking forward to testing my 30 Leica M mount lenses on the M10-R. Maybe, I am lazy.

But, you never know. --- I might buy an M10-R out of boredom, when the rainy winter days come, with little else to do ...

i thought this would be a bit better...

Well, one might say, they increased resolution and did not lose dynamic range. According to the link in my post #3258 Leica is now on the same level as other camera makers,
which is quite an achievement for a small company (with a big name).

It must have been difficult for Leica to find a sensor supplier making a sensor with specially aligned micro-lenses for the M lenses.

Not many chip companies are interested in intricate low volume products ... ---

Hi, an all-time great ... (Leica M9 - Leitz Summicron 2/35 v4 f 2,8 ; crop):

L1022371_DxO-L35c-28-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1022371_DxO-L35c-28.jpg
    L1022371_DxO-L35c-28.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Well, one might say, they increased resolution and did not lose dynamic range. According to the link in my post #3258 Leica is now on the same level as other camera makers,
which is quite an achievement for a small company (with a big name).

It must have been difficult for Leica to find a sensor supplier making a sensor with specially aligned micro-lenses for the M lenses.

Not many chip companies are interested in intricate low volume products ... ---

My guess is that the supplier of the base waffle sensor and the micro lenses isn’t the same for Leica these days..

That ISO 100 looks like pull is a bit of a shame (as Leica M seems welded to 1/4000 max shutter)

But it seems that the sensor is well received, back in the day smaller pixels = badness, now (as you say) there’s little noise and DR penalty for decreasing pixel pitch

It’s also announced that the base M10 is discontinued, (the silver one isn’t even listed in the German store)

So that kinda makes the 10R the “M11” - assuming (wild guess!!) that we’ll see 10R versions in funny colours, with no LCD and a P version I think it’ll be a couple of years or more before we do see the next significant upgrade, eg an M11

1)My guess is that the supplier of the base waffle sensor and the micro lenses isn’t the same for Leica these days..

That ISO 100 looks like pull is a bit of a shame (as Leica M seems welded to 1/4000 max shutter)

But it seems that the sensor is well received, back in the day smaller pixels = badness, now (as you say) there’s little noise and DR penalty for decreasing pixel pitch

It’s also announced that the base M10 is discontinued, (the silver one isn’t even listed in the German store)

2)So that kinda makes the 10R the “M11” - assuming (wild guess!!) that we’ll see 10R versions in funny colours, with no LCD and a P version I think it’ll be a couple of years or more before we do see the next significant upgrade, eg an M11

Hi, ad1) this also came to my mind. From what I remember about semi-conductor manufacturing the alignment of the micro-lenses will be brought about by etching.

Separating these manufacturing steps makes sense: anybody can make a wafer, but the micro-lens alignment involves IP which one likes to keep to oneself ... ---

ad2) Leica can only take comparatively small steps as an SMB. So, they will wait with an upgrade of the internal processing power.

My expectations are that Leica will stay in its niche, and will try to keep it profitable. They cannot compete with the major players. High resolution will become a commodity.

SONY could bring out a 60MP NEX-size camera any time. Producing M mount lenses for high resolution is extremely is expensive. Cf. Apo 50 Summicron.

40MP is enough we shall hear for some time.

But these are just the thoughts of a humble hobby photographer. -

The gravestone might be seen as a symbolic expression to let these speculations rest ... (Leica M9 - ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 f 1,4) :

L1000907_DxO-z35d-14.jpg

Hi, end of summer ... (Leica M9 - Summarit 2,5/35 f 2,5 ; crop):

L1002366_DxO-L35s-25-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1002366_DxO-L35s-25.jpg
    L1002366_DxO-L35s-25.jpg
    482.8 KB · Views: 3
Back