Official Talk Leica thread

Question: is it worth upgrading the 240 to an m10? Does it give better shotsbon low light or juat can use a higher iso and still have nice quality? Has anyone here done that?
Secondly, held the nikon z7, light in comparison,however i think it is full frame and i can get adapters with a higher iso and pixel count. Has anyone switched to it and is it worth it?
Currently on holiday and shot 400+ hopefully ok to good pics. But unsure whether a re investment, upgrade, switch, sell or just stick with it...

Question: is it worth upgrading the 240 to an m10? Does it give better shotsbon low light or juat can use a higher iso and still have nice quality? Has anyone here done that?
Secondly, held the nikon z7, light in comparison,however i think it is full frame and i can get adapters with a higher iso and pixel count. Has anyone switched to it and is it worth it?
Currently on holiday and shot 400+ hopefully ok to good pics. But unsure whether a re investment, upgrade, switch, sell or just stick with it...
I haven’t had a 240, the M10-P was the first Leica digital I’ve owned. I did look at the M240 before I bought mine and for sure the M10 is faster, lighter, smaller, big improvement on ISO.

The P just adds that little more with touch screen (handler than I imagined) & the fantastic quiet shutter which I really like.

I’ve noticed M10 second hand prices dropping a little since the release of the R model, so I guess now is a good time to jump on one.

Hi, I am quite happy with my M9s, and the previous owner of my second one, who bought an M10, does not like the M10 colours that much ... ---

Nikon Z7 : I am an early M mount lens adapter-adopter, and worked (and bought) my way through the SONY portfolio, ending with the A7R2,

I always kept an eye on other newer mirrorless bodies as an M mount lens carrier. However, all have their limitations. The wider the lenses, the greater the problems (weak corners, colour shift).

The NIKON Z7 has an 1,1mm sensor stack (better than the others apart from the Leica SL2), but it still has problems, as can be found in Fred Miranda . Internally, the Z7 only offers
vignetting correction, no colour correction.

The only M mount lenses I still use on my SONY A7R2 are the 12 and 15mm Voigländer. But for these I have profiles in the camera (colour shift, vignetting) using the SONY lens correction app
in the camera. However, I do not know, if later models after the A7R2 still get the Playmemories lens correction app support.

Last edited:
Hmmm wtf...

Most succinctly put ... ;) The author of the link above on high ISO IQ of the NIKON Z7:

"Aber auch bei schwierigen Lichtverhältnissen und höheren ISO-Werten von 1600 oder 3200 zeigt die Z7 eine sehr ordentliche Bildqualität, und das ist bei der hohen Auflösung von rund 45 Megapixeln sicher keine Selbstverständlichkeit."

(at higher ISO values of 1600 or 3200 the Z7 displays a very decent image quality ...)

I could live with that, my SONYs A7R2 are the same. The more serious question are the consequences of another camera system, more lenses, new power supply, new memory cards, SW support, etc. ...

For air travel, when visiting cities, I take just one system, SONY A7R with the ZEISS Loxia 2,8/21 and a 12 or 15mm Voigtländer (and a NEX-5N as backup).

High res gives me croppability, so I can travel with one main lens.

The L mount portfolio is technically quite interesting. - However, the cameras are quite big, the sensor stack is even thicker than the Z7 one, (Leica SL2 being best),
and then there are the temptingly excellent Leica L mount lenses.

The road down to heavy metal (and a lighter purse) ... :)

Much lighter wallet...
I held the z7 and it is really light, however its memory card is the xqd (I think) and I was hoping to keep the current sd, so I don't think it will work for me at the moment.

I am still considering the m10... But I need to put at least 2.5k euro more into it and I am unsure if it will return better than the current.
I'll try to decide by saturday... plus need to email lecia amsterdam to make sure that the camera is still there, their offer for mine is still ok etc...

Last edited:
Much lighter wallet...
I held the z7 and it is really light, however its memory card is the xsd (I think) and I was hoping to keep the current sd, so I don't think it will work for me at the moment.

I am still considering the m10... But I need to put at least 2.5k euro more into it and I am unsure if it will return better than the current.
I'll try to decide by saturday... plus need to email lecia amsterdam to make sure that the camera is still there, their offer for mine is still ok etc...

Yes, it's difficult. This advice may help :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-2N4wxdyQY

Good luck! :)

Hi, advocating a balanced diet: pink champagne ... ;) . Have a nice weekend ! (Leica M9 - ZEISS Planar 2/50 f2 ; crop):

L1003562_DxO-z50p-2-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1003562_DxO-z50p-2-.jpg
    L1003562_DxO-z50p-2-.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 4

yes and no!

i agonised about this a little while ago... played with the m10 in the store and shot the same crap with both the m10 and my 240 and compared the images at home.

at base iso i saw very, very, VERY little difference in the iq.

the m10 iso is better, but there’s still noise... there are far better high iso cameras out there.

the m10 takes away a few things that the 240 has.. yeah video, but also choice of franeline colours, advanced metering mode, and by all accounts the m10 battery is good for about 250-300 shots (i get 700-1000 out of my 240 batteries)

the m10 feels far nicer in the hand, and the rangefinder window is bigger

for me and my opinion...

it’s like the fuji x-pro range !!!! The x-pro1 to the x-pro2 is a huge improvement in tech and features, the x-pro2 to the x-pro3 is an incremental refinement. This is how the m240 to m10 feels to me... a nice refinement.

but one that requires quite a large injection of cash.... so i decided to wait.

HTH / YMMV

Hi, Cafe out of business in Schwelm/D (Leica M9 - Elmar 3,8/24 Asph. f 5,6 ; crop) :

L1022909_DxO-L3824-8-cc.jpg

The 24mm Elmar is an excellent lens, I think, for visiting cities with not very tall buildings. It appears to be sharper than my Elmarit 2,8/24 asph,
which makes me consider the 21mm SEM every now and then ... ---

Attachments

• L1022909_DxO-L3823-56.jpg
    L1022909_DxO-L3823-56.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 4
Had my M10-P a year today. Definitely not without a few wobbles on the way but I love this camera.

No other camera I’ve had or own give me the same feelings when I shoot with it!

0A63147E-E879-4081-B141-FD5CAB57F60A.jpeg

Hi
Just been and handled the m10. Slightly thinner and lighter. Looks and feels nice. But 2.8k injection required. They have it on hold for me.
Have to decide tonight and bring the older camera and cash tomorrow.. Or let them know.
Just going to see about the competition...

Last edited:
Hi
Just been and handled the m10. Slightly thinner and lighter. Looks and feels nice. But 2.8k injection required. They have it on hold for me.
Have ro decide tonight and bring the older camera and cash tomorrow.. Or let them know.
Just going to see about the competition...

FWIW...

Another thing that made me decide to wait was that I have (for my 240) the official EVF, leather case, spare battery and handgrip.

Assuming that I want those things on an M10... that’s a not inconsiderable (to me anyway) amount of extra cash to find..

for my €0.02... if when you’re using your 240 you’re thinking, damn if only this camera had a better accessory EVF, a hair’s more DR at base ISO and a couple of stops more high ISO then it would be perfect then an M10 will make you very happy.

If not... you’re spending €2800 (and giving up a camera..) for a better accessory EVF, a hair’s more DR at base ISO and a couple of stops more high ISO

But you’ll probably get it if you can, I would :D so really keen to see some shots and hear your thoughts on it!

Last edited:
we just got back from a short holiday in the south of Portugal, so here's some snaps!!

All shot with the M240 and a mixture of Zeiss 21/2.8, CV 35/1.7 and Summilux 50 ASPH

M1000489.LR.jpg

As soon as we arrived there (7 hour drive) we hit the first beach just as golden hour was starting

M1000540.LR.jpg

This was a good chance for me to get some practice in at seeing with 21mm!

M1000555.LR.jpg

I'm not any sort of landscape guy, so it was a kind of holiday from urban stuff for me!

M1000579.LR.jpg

we pretty much had the place to ourselves... well that's how it looks here anyway!

M1000736.LR.jpg

we went to a market!

M1000752.LR.jpg

shapes and what have you caught my eye!

M1000852.LR.jpg

The sign says, danger loose rocks don't go near the cliff! (still they have an umbrella!!)

M1000524.LR.jpg

David Bowie cat!!! I must say that the 50cm close focusing on the zeiss is very handy sometimes (iirc the CV 35 does this too)

M1000633.LR.jpg

M1000667.LR.jpg

That's 200+ rickety steps to get to the beach

M1000758.LR.jpg

M1000864.LR.jpg

M1000651.LR.jpg

This area is insanely popular with surfers, big waves and good weather, I wonder why?!!!

M1000641.LR.jpg

damn straight

and there you go! 4 days, 14 hours in the car, came home with 460ish pics and a touch of sunburn

Last edited:
nice photos. good captures on the cat and windows and the rock formation.
I was also considering the 21mm...

as to my decision, right now I have the boxes to one side, camera and all leads etc..
but I am still wavering.

I would like to upgrade, but I feel that is GAS; and therefore should be ignored.. Oh but to spend the money.... ;)

I'll let you know if I succumb and get it.

nice photos. good captures on the cat and windows and the rock formation.
I was also considering the 21mm...

as to my decision, right now I have the boxes to one side, camera and all leads etc..
but I am still wavering.

I would like to upgrade, but I feel that is GAS; and therefore should be ignored.. Oh but to spend the money.... ;)

I'll let you know if I succumb and get it.

Thank you very much

I really wanted the zeiss 25, but the store had the 21 in their secondhand section, and I thought what the hell...

IIRC.. over on the official Leica forum there's a few folks that left the M10 to go back to the M9, but all the M240 (to M10) upgraders seem happy enough...

Right... well. I had it boxed... I unboxed it...
Then put the box and camera in the bag and went to Leica store. Wallet now somewhat lighter...

Feel is nice, slightly lighter, and bigger view finder. Sales people said its the same size as the film m6. Visio flex is a lot bigger on top, but brighter.
so far -> happy.
No more buying until next year... (21mm ??? and 35mm f1.2 voigtlander on the list - plus lee filters holder and adapter... next year at some point may be)

Hi, @ecniv: congrats! :clap: Now we shall see more pics with current equipment, and not only my old-iron postings ... ---

Stars ... (Leica M9 - ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50 f 2,8 ; crop) :

L1003654_DxO-z50s-28-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1003654_DxO-z50s-28.jpg
    L1003654_DxO-z50s-28.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Right... well. I had it boxed... I unboxed it...
Then put the box and camera in the bag and went to Leica store. Wallet now somewhat lighter...

Feel is nice, slightly lighter, and bigger view finder. Sales people said its the same size as the film m6. Visio flex is a lot bigger on top, but brighter.
so far -> happy.
No more buying until next year... (21mm ??? and 35mm f1.2 voigtlander on the list - plus lee filters holder and adapter... next year at some point may be)

Congrats and enjoy!

Out looking for mist this morning with the M10-P and new (to me) CV 35 f2.5 Color Skopar that turned up on Saturday.

First impressions are favourable.

L1007955.jpg

You will have to wait a while for the m10 to be used and pictures taken... still got a few hundred to go from the last holiday... of which a few more...
I did miss a few focus points, which is weird as I was using the evf.. :/

Some better shots, dusseldorf leica typ 240 mp...

Couldn't resist - plus interesting weather (mist/fog first thing - should've left ten or twenty minutes earlier though)

M10 + 28mm voigtlander

Pheasants I think...?

First impressions.

+ Feels nice in the hand. Similar to the 240. yet the slimmer slightly lighter weight is nice
+ has grids on the lv/visioflex (3x3 or 6x4 (which I've put on)
+ view finder is slightly more magnified, feels easier to see... although still like an eye test (I need to practice some more)
+visio flex has same as evf up to 90 degree... so should be good in churchs/cathedrals for pointing upwards comfortably
+ LR -> picture quality is similar to typ 240, although feels slightly better... need to test more!

- visio flex is huge
- battery seems to drain fast, but probably the visio flex.. so need to use the normal view finder more
- no video (only used it at a wedding - so no great loss)
- no balance indicator (or I haven't found it yet)
- visioflex seems to be on all the time, but need to check this as I would have thought it would detect the eye near it and turn on (like when it swaps between back screen and visio) to reduce battery usage

Overall I like it a lot..!
If I had waited a year and bought this instead, would have been really nice. Liking it!

Now to have more practice...

Hi, FEUERVOGEL means FIREBIRD ... (Leica M9 - ZEISS Sonnar 1,5/50 f 2,8) . I think the title is quite appropriate, better than Shy Sheila, perhaps ... :

L1003634_DxO-z50s-28.jpg

L1003635_DxO-z50s-28-c.jpg

Hi, Egyptian Goose - Crow, confronation (Leica M9 - ZEISS Planar 2/50 f 4; crop) :

L1003523_DxO-z50p-4-c.jpg

Attack from behind :

L1003524_DxO-z50p-4-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1003523_DxO-z50p-4.jpg
    L1003523_DxO-z50p-4.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 5
Back