Oh bugger the Nikon 17-55mm F2.8

Name
Ste
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok got chance to demo a Nikon 17-55mm F2.8 yesterday bad mistake!!!, im now im slightly tempted to get one.

But before i can splash out on one, I'll proberly have to let my 16-85mm VR go
to help fund one and me Lass from Killing me.:nono:

so what do people gernally think of this lens over both the Nikon 16-85mm VR and the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 i had my mind set on.

Ok got chance to demo a Nikon 17-55mm F2.8 yesterday bad mistake!!!, im now im slightly tempted to get one.

But before i can splash out on one, I'll proberly have to let my 16-85mm VR go
to help fund one and me Lass from Killing me.:nono:

so what do people gernally think of this lens over both the Nikon 16-85mm VR and the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 i had my mind set on.

This has been discussed a number of times before....for IQ there doesn't seem to much at all between the Tamron and the more expensive Nikon, for build quality the Nikon is streets ahead.

Difficult one - IMHO the 16-85 VR is Nikon's best DX lens (its certainly a much better landscape lens than the 17-55 DX), however the 17-55 is very nice wide open, and VR is a pointless a tits on a nun on such a short lens - f/2.8 trumps VR.

Personally the Tamron 17-50 is probably the more compelling choice.

Are you planning on going FX anytime soon? If so, that should come into considering before spending that amount on a DX lens.

I considered it just before the prices went mad and they were selling for £775 - then settled on a used 28-70 2.8 instead. I don't think I'd change a 16-85VR for a 17-55, IMHO.

From what I've read the Tamron is hands down winner on IQ for your $$$ however, I chose the Nikon 17-55 because its fantastic wide open and its robust - I use my gear at weddings and events, while I take good care of it I need to know that if some drunken muppet bumps into me and knocks my gear about, its going to survive it.

I love my 17-55 - Can't see me changing it any time soon.

Tamron is great for the money but the Nikon is fantastic, i myself want to sell my tamron for another Nikon for the build quality alone

cant comment on the nikon, but i have the tamron 2.8 on a canon body and its a great lens, never have i thought about upgrading really. not over that focal lenght anyway.,

I have both.The Nikon is slightly better image quality wise,and I mean slightly better,the Nikon is built like a tank and is a substantial piece of kit,the Tamron is a lot lighter and a helluva lot cheaper.

Back