Oh dear! That will be a fail.

Well that is a pratfall of an incident :(

That was very poor seamanship. I think that skipper will be losing his position after the board of inquiry. It did look like there was a strong current running but they definitely over-did the power to counteract it.

Was first mate seaman standing on the bow of the boat shading his eyes saying
" I see no ships "

2nd time that ship has had a collision!

I remember when the ship I was on smacked into the side of the British Tamar when bunkering. Porthole came in and the metal cover was so bent out of shape the water was pouring in every time we listed to starboard. Made a mess of the 'Officers' restaurant in which I worked. They had to weld the hatch closed and I had a lot of cleaning up to do in order to be able to serve dinner to the Captain :).

No welding on this occasion, those ships have a non metallic hull to mask them to submarine radar I believe.

I remember when the ship I was on smacked into the side of the British Tamar when bunkering. Porthole came in and the metal cover was so bent out of shape the water was pouring in every time we listed to starboard. Made a mess of the 'Officers' restaurant in which I worked. They had to weld the hatch closed and I had a lot of cleaning up to do in order to be able to serve dinner to the Captain :).

No welding on this occasion, those ships have a non metallic hull to mask them to submarine radar I believe.
Apart from whatever passive & active mine countermeasures they have in place AFAIK the non-metallic hull is to avoid triggering 'old school' magnetic mine detonations.

I see they have released the voice recorder track, "If she wants to drive, let her!"

I’m told, ship had some upgrades done and forward and astern was reversed on control joystick on the bridge, no telegraph on ship’s wheel on the bridge now, hulls constructed from super duper fibreglass, non magnetic, good for mine clearing. Fleet were based in Rosyth dockyard for a while near me.

Back