Oh Dear...

Plain Nev

Vincent Furnier
Name
Neville
Edit My Images
Yes
Somebody stop me going into antique and bric a brac shops.

DSCF2654.jpg

DSCF2688.jpg

Well, actually it wasn't your average Bric a brac shop. The owner was plainly an enthusiast and had cameras all over the place. This one was lovely. How could I resist? :D

Nice.

I have a few Takumar lenses, 28 and 35mm f3.5 and 50mm f1.4 and they're nice to use.

I spotted a Fuji compact in a charity shop today for £3, but Mrs WW wouldn't let me buy it :D

Nice.

I have a few Takumar lenses, 28 and 35mm f3.5 and 50mm f1.4 and they're nice to use.

I spotted a Fuji compact in a charity shop today for £3, but Mrs WW wouldn't let me buy it :D

Grounds for divorce I reckon. :p

I had one of those as my first SLR! Well, it was Dad's but on semi permanent loan. Even had the same semi automatic stop down lens.

I had one of those as my first SLR! Well, it was Dad's but on semi permanent loan. Even had the same semi automatic stop down lens.

I didn't know what that was, I must admit. I've never actually seen one of these lenses before. There's still film in it as well. I won't know what it is until I finish the roll. In which case I will have to pop over to the old film thread. :p Be nice if it was an old film, but chances are it's a cheapo modern one.

I didn't know what that was, I must admit. I've never actually seen one of these lenses before. There's still film in it as well. I won't know what it is until I finish the roll. In which case I will have to pop over to the old film thread. :p Be nice if it was an old film, but chances are it's a cheapo modern one.

Been a fair few years (around 40) since I used it but from memory, once you set the required aperture, you "cock" the aperture lever to open up wide for focussing and when the shutter is fired, the plate in the camera pushes the pin on the lens and automatically stops down to the pre-set aperture.

That's ingenious. I thought initially it was some DOF preview thing.

I'm wondering what to do about the meter now. I'd quite like to put it to good use, but like a lot of things you just can't get the batteries anymore. I imagine the modern equivalents would probably upset the metering as well. Any suggestions?

That's ingenious. I thought initially it was some DOF preview thing.

I'm wondering what to do about the meter now. I'd quite like to put it to good use, but like a lot of things you just can't get the batteries anymore. I imagine the modern equivalents would probably upset the metering as well. Any suggestions?
A 675 zinc air hearing aid battery (used to be able to get pack of 4 for £1 from Poundland) with bit of copper earth wire as a washer round it will fit and make contact, just recall that the flat end is +ve while on the old mercury cells it was -ve. Battery will not last all that long once unsealed ( enough for a roll of film usually) but does have a steady voltage almost the same as a mercury cell.

A 675 zinc air hearing aid battery (used to be able to get pack of 4 for £1 from Poundland) with bit of copper earth wire as a washer round it will fit and make contact, just recall that the flat end is +ve while on the old mercury cells it was -ve. Battery will not last all that long once unsealed ( enough for a roll of film usually) but does have a steady voltage almost the same as a mercury cell.

Well, it's funny you should mention that. I do have some hearing aid batteries knocking about. I tried one earlier today. Not a sausage I'm afraid. It was only a cursory attempt however, and I'll look into cleaning up the contacts as well, as they seem a bit corroded.

Does the Small Battery Company still exist?

I'd not heard of them before, but I've quickly Googled them and they seem to still be there. Some interesting information regarding batteries, from my flying visit to date.... Blimey! I lead an interesting life. :D

You're profligate, that's your problem. :p

I couldn't help but think of a newcomer to this site who's bought a few compacts recently.

Stuff like that is worth £3 just for the fun of trying it out, IMO :D
The film will cost a lot more than £3, and the developing even more than that. Plus £3.70 or whatever for posting the film off to the processor. o_O

Agreed - he definitely needs a Thai princess to manage his buying habits. ;) :D

Marriage or even having a boyfriend seems to be going out of fashion in Thailand and there are also those who want to marry but wont marry a Thai man as they're often Little Princes when they're kids and many don't grow out of it. Mrs WW has some stunning mates and 99% of them are single. The running joke is that she should invite them over and we'll find them a boyfriend on the first day, maybe even before we leave the airport.

PS.
I met her through work.

Last edited:
The film will cost a lot more than £3, and the developing even more than that. Plus £3.70 or whatever for posting the film off to the processor. o_O

Ah, no film as it was a digital compact. It was probably very old and not much use to me but I did just fancy playing with it.

Marriage or even having a boyfriend seems to be going out of fashion in Thailand and there are also those who want to marry but wont marry a Thai man as they're often Little Princes when they're kids and many don't grow out of it. Mrs WW has some stunning mates and 99% of them are single. The running joke is that she should invite them over and we'll find them a boyfriend on the first day, maybe even before we leave the airport.

PS.
I met her through work.

I can imagine. Marriage requires hard work and determination as you know so well. Not willing to give yourself to the other, then don't marry.

This ought to be titled Oh Dear Pt 2, I think.

Got out of the car, walked across the road and into a charity shop opposite, and lo and behold the first thing I see is an Olympus OM101. I'd never heard of them before. Not surprisingly perhaps. It's a bit of an oddball. And well, it just looked so lonely there.

9e831874-9862-11e6-8c9f-dba453cf1a49.jpg

Perhaps the weirdest thing about it is the power focus, which you control with your thumb on the back of the camera. Actually seems to work very well. Fully automatic, under normal circumstances, this one came with the manual adapter, giving you either AV or fully manual. There is even a film in it, which I shall have to finish off. It's a hard life. :p

This ought to be titled Oh Dear Pt 2, I think.

Got out of the car, walked across the road and into a charity shop opposite, and lo and behold the first thing I see is an Olympus OM101. I'd never heard of them before. Not surprisingly perhaps. It's a bit of an oddball. And well, it just looked so lonely there.

View attachment 348904

Perhaps the weirdest thing about it is the power focus, which you control with your thumb on the back of the camera. Actually seems to work very well. Fully automatic, under normal circumstances, this one came with the manual adapter, giving you either AV or fully manual. There is even a film in it, which I shall have to finish off. It's a hard life. :p

That was Olympus first foray into a consumer AF camera IIRC. Can't remember much else about them really - they were playing catch-up with Minolta and Canon at the time.

Hence the add on manual controls I imagine. All a bit strange. But it handles well and has a bit of heft to it. I think it will be fun. And of course I'll be interested to see what else is on that film. And indeed what it is. I can see a green roll inside, so could be some old Fuji.

Last edited:
I'm just a big softy Justyn. I can never resist a poor little camera down on its luck. :D

I have an OM101, manual power focus is interesting but the manual exposure add-on does not work on mine. My other oddball Olympus is an OM707, that does have autofocus but needs a lot of light and contrast to work. Still better than any of the 3 Canon T80s I have had, none would focus at all

I have an OM101, manual power focus is interesting but the manual exposure add-on does not work on mine. My other oddball Olympus is an OM707, that does have autofocus but needs a lot of light and contrast to work. Still better than any of the 3 Canon T80s I have had, none would focus at all

The T80 must have been one of the most embarassing cameras ever lauched, coming at pretty much the same time as the Minolta 7000, which had AF that actually did work. I remember trying on in a shop in Croydon, and even by 1980s standards it did not impress (nor focus much).

The cool kids had the T70.

katsuhiro-otomos-akira-canon-t70-commercial-japan-1984_9131.jpg

I have a T90. It's great and was cheap as chips. Only downside is that it won't stand up with the bevelled integral grip unless you take the lens off. My OCD is triggered every time I see it on it's nose next to the other cameras. Guess it wasn't designed to sit on a shelf... :)

Well I do have at least one of each of the Canon T series. Fixed shutter magnet problem on 2 T90s but still have to fix the contacts in the back catch of one of them, it won't advance film as it thinks the door is open. Fiddly little mechanism. It sits on my fix it shelf with a tin of mints under the front to keep it level.

The cool kids had the T70.

katsuhiro-otomos-akira-canon-t70-commercial-japan-1984_9131.jpg

That is slightly bizarre. It's got a sort of Manga, comic vibe going. I do actually like the look of the T70. I've nearly taken the plunge on one before.

That is slightly bizarre. It's got a sort of Manga, comic vibe going. I do actually like the look of the T70. I've nearly taken the plunge on one before.
The link below the image is worth a read - Canon commissioned a famous manga artist, Katsuhiro Otomo (creator of Akira) for the T70 campaign, There's an anime commercial too.

Interesting stuff. It's not a thing I've ever been interested in. But everyone should recognise the style.

All this talk of T70 /90 remakes me wonder what on earth has happened to Brian @Excalibor2

He would have something to say ! :LOL:

All I hope is that @ancient_mariner can handle the relentless ribbing he’ll receive should he adopt either one of them , and as for @Harlequin565 and @dmb ,I had you both down as classy photographers ……. Until now :exit::exit::ROFLMAO:

In reponse to a request from Brian, I once 'reviewed' the T70 in this thread. A bit harsh, perhaps. It's not as if it's a T50.

Well, I was hoping that one of the more exotic films from either Kodak or Fuji might be in the 101. Instead it's the legend that is Truprint, which definitely dates it. :D On the plus side, considering the camera probably hasn't been used since those halcyon days, it performed perfectly. Quite pleased by that.

Well, I was hoping that one of the more exotic films from either Kodak or Fuji might be in the 101. Instead it's the legend that is Truprint, which definitely dates it. :D On the plus side, considering the camera probably hasn't been used since those halcyon days, it performed perfectly. Quite pleased by that.

I've got a roll of Truprint to take for development tomorrow. The lady I got it from told me it had been in the fridge all the time they had it, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. I've another roll, plus some Tudor 100 from the same person.

Back