Oh yes another Moon photo

Edit My Images
Yes
Once again i am after C&C's.
Slowly improving bit by bit, i am hoping anyone else with a Nikon D40X and a 70-300Vr lens can show me what is the best results that you can get from this set up
;)

05-04-2009.jpg

At first I thought a cracker - Then looked more closely and saw noise (quite a bit of it) and a halo around the moon. I think you've taken quite a large crop?

Maybe leave it a bit smaller, placed somewhere on the thirds - I've seen this work really well.

Good try, look forward to seeing some more(y)

Here's one I took yesterday with the 70-300

iso 100 1/60 f/11 with tripod

3416044286_c5bcdd65dd_o.jpg

Last edited:
At first I thought a cracker - Then looked more closely and saw noise (quite a bit of it) and a halo around the moon. I think you've taken quite a large crop?

Maybe leave it a bit smaller, placed somewhere on the thirds - I've seen this work really well.

Good try, look forward to seeing some more(y)

Sorry would agree, a less tight crop would work better to be honest, overal though not a bad shot.

fascinating subject, like me its a learning curve, that's why we are here. I like it but can see the difference in the other shot.

The exposure looks better, and you don't have that odd noise and halo. It looks a little soft though. Having said that, given the lack of surface contrast as it's nearly full, where there is shadow, you appear to have some detail showing nicely and the ejecta ray's around Tycho (big crater at the bottom) look good to. A very good try for near full. It's a very tough one to get right when you're using a telescope at this time of the cycle. It'll get much easier in 4 or 5 days (full moon is tomorrow). Look for the moon in the morning.

Hi folks, i went back to the original photos from the day that i posted the first one and tried again with photoshop to improve things.

10-04-2009s.jpg

the only thing I can say because I've no experience of photographing the moon is to not take photos during the full moon.

It makes the moon look completely flat.

It's one of the first things I read when I got my telescope. Look at the moon throughout its stages to get the best view. If you look at your first pic you can see the shadows etc around the craters where the moon is still black. It makes it stand out more.

I've got to get myself a DSLR adapter for my telescope. It's not really good enough for decent stargazing but I am hoping to get some cracking moon shots with it :D

Back