Old cameras in new display

what do you all vote for for me to use as my first film camera

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Marco
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey everyone, so some of you might know I have bought some new display cabinets for my collection of film cameras as the other half was complaining I had too many and no where to put them, here are the pictures ( sorry about the poor phone quality pictures).

42385535-D9FB-466E-99DF-CC3516C4AF78-397-00000029722157E0_zps8f1fa582.jpg

0816C2B5-2858-4B08-A4E7-B05532FAD1FB-397-0000002984575DC1_zps573f7318.jpg

0A5420FA-3804-4A84-90BB-5CF76E0A2E48-397-000000297EC246F5_zps60c286c1.jpg

592E9016-2F86-4656-AE09-0335B4C3915D-397-000000297891C8D0_zpsc8797fff.jpg

Digital shot of some locked up film cameras :banana: ;)

Just kidding, looks very good (y)

I trust they all get sufficient exercise. We wouldn't want to have to send Asha round to look after them... :D

Looks good.

Haha thanks! I bought one of the nikons recently, opened the back to check sealing and condition etc, found it had a film in it! Not sure what to do with it (I'm still a film newbie :p )

Well now, a lovely collection and about time some of them were given some exercise.(y)
There's a lovely new sticky at the top of the forum with some FAQ's about what to do when you start out. As to the camera with film in, get it developed, its always interesting to see what others were shooting. If its C41 film your local supermarket may still have a developing department but if not there's another sticky at the top with a list of developers.
If you want a bit of hands on tuition try and get to Chester on 8th June and join the filmwasters.

Cheers

Andy

^^^^^^^^^

Agree, seems a shame not to take advantage of at least some of those cameras.

If you choose to take up Andy on the Chester visit and selected a 120 camera to use, let me know and I will send you a Tmax 120 B&W FOC, or in fact a 35mm colour if you prefer.

Last edited:
Nice collection that you're building up.

Hope the cameras don't become condemned to a display cabinet though.....they yearn to be used!!

Even those where film is no longer available can still offer a result by manipulating modern film format to fit.

Lots of advice on here and of course we are more than happy to help you along.....

Well now, a lovely collection and about time some of them were given some exercise.(y)
There's a lovely new sticky at the top of the forum with some FAQ's about what to do when you start out. As to the camera with film in, get it developed, its always interesting to see what others were shooting. If its C41 film your local supermarket may still have a developing department but if not there's another sticky at the top with a list of developers.
If you want a bit of hands on tuition try and get to Chester on 8th June and join the filmwasters.

Cheers

Andy

Thanks, I have been wanting to use some of them but in a way scared as I'm new to film and don't want to mess up with the film etc.
I shall definatley have a look at the stickies and have a look in to the Chester, is it a meet/course?

^^^^^^^^^

Agree, seems a shame not to take advantage of at least some of those cameras.

If you choose to take up Andy on the Chester visit and selected a 120 camera to use, let me know and I will send you a Tmax 120 B&W FOC, or in fact a 35mm colour if you prefer.

That would be great and much appreciated, I spoke to a guy on here a few months back about my film camera and he said he was going to send me some film foc he had in his fridge that had expired and to give that a go but beer heard back from him :(.

Nice collection that you're building up.

Hope the cameras don't become condemned to a display cabinet though.....they yearn to be used!!

Even those where film is no longer available can still offer a result by manipulating modern film format to fit.

Lots of advice on here and of course we are more than happy to help you along.....

Aha so you're the famous asha! :p nice to meet you, I will start using them as soon as I've looke through the stickes and read up one where to get the film/ how to use the film/ getting them developed etc :) appreciate everyone's help

It's a great collection and gauging it by eye I think you've got room for three more cabinets once you've got rid of the piano :LOL:

I do urge you to use them though, as cameras die in display cabinets the way dogs die in hot cars :(

Chester is just a meet for some drinking and shooting and some more drinking, possibly with chips. If you can make it there will be 7 or 8 of us (hopefully) and we just have a bit of a wander around until the pubs open. (y)
Plenty of experienced bodies to give you a leg up.

Andy

Chester is just a meet for some drinking and shooting and some more drinking, possibly with chips. If you can make it there will be 7 or 8 of us (hopefully) and we just have a bit of a wander around until the pubs open. (y)
Plenty of experienced bodies to give you a leg up.

Andy

Sounds perfect, drinking and shooting and food! Have you got a postcode of where the meet is so I can look up how far I am?
Looking forward to get started :)

That would be great and much appreciated, I spoke to a guy on here a few months back about my film camera and he said he was going to send me some film foc he had in his fridge that had expired and to give that a go but beer heard back from him .

Send me your address by PM and whether you want 120 or 35mm.

Richard

That would be great and much appreciated, I spoke to a guy on here a few months back about my film camera and he said he was going to send me some film foc he had in his fridge that had expired and to give that a go but beer heard back from him .

Send me your address by PM and whether you want 120 or 35mm.

Richard

That is very thoughtful of you Richard, I can pay for it if you'd like. I shall choose and decide which camera I shall use as my first and then I shall let you know and pm you my address :)

Better idea; set-up a poll and let us decide what you should use first :D

Now that is an idea I like!! :D is there a way to do a poll type thread or shall I just start a thread with a list of them? Or just post the list on this thread?

I think if you edit the original post you should be able to add a poll. Better short list it first though, you've got a fairly extensive collection there!

CH1 1DA, this is the postcode of the pub opposite where we will be meeting but if you come by train some of us will be meeting at Crewe station to catch the 09.49 to Chester and then meet everyone else at the Roman Amphitheatre. at 10.30 ish.

Andy

I think if you edit the original post you should be able to add a poll. Better short list it first though, you've got a fairly extensive collection there!

Thanks ill give that a go, good job you said to short list it, was just going to write out the whole list :p

CH1 1DA, this is the postcode of the pub opposite where we will be meeting but if you come by train some of us will be meeting at Crewe station to catch the 09.49 to Chester and then meet everyone else at the Roman Amphitheatre. at 10.30 ish.

Andy

Thanks Andy, will let you know closer to the time as I've got to go to a few events for work around that time of the year but hoping I will be free :)

Go on Marco can't you use just one camera for a "been there done it" :)

On my moblie so can't see a poll option, what do you all vote for for me to use as my first film camera :)

I have narrowed it down to:

Praktica:
mtl50
Bc1
Super tl3
Fx

Zenit B

Iloca rapid II

Zeiss ikon nettar

Or a brownie box (have a selection of).

Zeiss ikon nettar FTW (y)

Yeah I'm with Nick, the folder is about as far from your DSLR as you can get.

+1 for the Nettar.

Back to bottom line basics.....shoot a Box Brownie

Is there something I should know about the zenit then? :p

Last edited:
It weighs about 4 ton, if you've got one made on a friday (too much vodka) it will more than likely fall to bits and break your toe on the way down and even the good ones can be, shall we say, tempermental....

It weighs about 4 ton, if you've got one made on a friday (too much vodka) it will more than likely fall to bits and break your toe on the way down and even the good ones can be, shall we say, tempermental....

Ah I see! So is it safe to say its best to stay away from the zenits?

Ah I see! So is it safe to say its best to stay away from the zenits?

Stop listening to those mean people! :D

Zenits have a character of their own, if you have a good condition one it should be just fine. To add even more USSR feel put a helios 44-2 in front (which is a fantastic lens) If you have an old Zenit DO NOT change shutter speeds before pulling the wind-on lever.

Stop listening to those mean people! :D

Zenits have a character of their own, if you have a good condition one it should be just fine. To add even more USSR feel put a helios 44-2 in front (which is a fantastic lens) If you have an old Zenit DO NOT change shutter speeds before pulling the wind-on lever.

Haha mean people picking on me :p I shall bear that in mind, does this damage the camera?

I'll let the poll run till I finish work tonight at 22:30 and choose to use the most voted camera as my first film camera :)

Yes you can damage the shutter. Many zenits, zorkis and feds for sale with broken shutter because of that :crying:

Thanks for letting me know, I shall make sure I look out for that on the next zenit purchase (y)

Back