old canon film camera

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
a few months a go a I picked up this lot for about £20 (that reminds I need to give the fella the cash) but I'd never used it. Well it looks like a nice day so I'm thinking I may well give it a bash. I've given it a quick once over and it still seems to operate ok, not run any film through it yet though

Camera: Canon A-1
Canon FD 200mm F2.8
Canon FD 35-70mm F3.5-4.5
Canon Extender FD 2x
Canon Speedlite 199A
Canon Speedlite 188A

I'm thinking of popping down to the local photography place to get a roll of film then suddenly thought I have no idea what to buy? :thinking:

I'd like to try B&W and will probaly have a go at landscapes/seascapes this evening as it's a nice day here but what speed would you recommned?

sorry for the noob questions but I have never shot film before so this is going to be a bit of an adventure

Last edited:
If you're wanting Black and White and hoping to get it processed at a local lab (boots, max speilman etc) then get a roll of Ilford XP2 (400 iso C-41) film - most branches of boots for example stock it.

You've got something of a bargain there, as long as it works - the A1 bodies go for around £50, the 35-70 £15-35, the last 200mm F2.8 made £249 on fleabay... I'll not go on, it'll only make me cry :)

Last edited:
also, check what the developer prints the colour film in, I have always had fuji processed in a fuji lab etc, my local boots have a fuji lab for printing. I always found that if they were processed in other chemicals, say kodak, the colours were not right.

Did I read £20? BARGAIN! Oh and I must get using some of my film stuff...

also, check what the developer prints the colour film in, I have always had fuji processed in a fuji lab etc, my local boots have a fuji lab for printing. I always found that if they were processed in other chemicals, say kodak, the colours were not right.

All the chems from Kodak, Fuji etc are exactly the same, any difference will likely be from the operator not using the mini-lab correctly to correct images or there being poor maintenance of the mini-lab with the chems not being changed or the temperature being out.

If your work has another FD 200mm f/2.8 lying around in a cupboard, I'll happily give them a tenner for it. :D

Or you could develop it yourself, B+W film is comparatively rather cheap and easy to do.

The AI was the first SLR to offer aperture and shutter speed priority, and a programmed auto exposure mode IIRC? A friend of mine bought one in the US and brought it back to South Africa. Very advanced for its era but build quality wasn't up to the F1 or the Nikon F series. Hot deal for £20 with the lenses though.

Back