Old imac G3 help!

Name
Jamie Smith
Edit My Images
Yes
I have recently acquired an old imac G3 slot loader!

Want to use it at uni, maybe for word processing or something, but I tried it today after installing RAM and it has a funny screen :/

Any help anyone, please :)

12467_214564806489_551911489_4721295_4621769_n.jpg

Try removing the ram and see if it is the problem (assuming it was ok before). Not all ram is the same - even if it looks the same.

Apologies if I misunderstood anything.

Graham

hmm, used to work on these back in the day.
And the first thing that sprung to me was (ah theres another dodgy screen.)
I must stress that im just going with instinct here so could be very wrong about it being common problem.

did you try it before putting the RAM in?

Might be a firmware problem if you have changed from os9 to 10 as well as the ram
Put the old ram back it will be fast enough for word processing

without any RAM at all, it just doesn't boot and gives boot beep warnings... the RAM worked in my powermac G3... :/

hmm, used to work on these back in the day.
And the first thing that sprung to me was (ah theres another dodgy screen.)
I must stress that im just going with instinct here so could be very wrong about it being common problem.

did you try it before putting the RAM in?

without any RAM at all, it just doesn't boot and gives boot beep warnings... the RAM worked in my powermac G3... :/

OK...

First off - Check the RAM you fitted is seated properly.

Next - Reset the P-RAM - Instructions on how to here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Next - Change the screen resolution to 640x480 or 800x600 or 1024x768 - Change the colour depth from/to thousands/millions on each step. If you can change the display timings at each step, so much the better (60hz/70hz/72hz/75hz).

Else - There's a damn good reason why it was cheap in a charity shop displayed on that there screen.... :LOL:

-Rob

Could I...remove the 'CRT monitor' and replace it with an old small LCD i have? (Via VGA maybe?)

interesting, IIRC the RAM had to be non-ECC or the iMac didn't like it, but looking at the screen it could be an analogue board problem (it's what drives the tube)

try updating the firmware first, then after the update clear the PRAM by holding command,  key, P, R

:)

Kind Regards

Rob 80386

OK...

First off - Check the RAM you fitted is seated properly.

Next - Reset the P-RAM - Instructions on how to here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Next - Change the screen resolution to 640x480 or 800x600 or 1024x768 - Change the colour depth from/to thousands/millions on each step. If you can change the display timings at each step, so much the better (60hz/70hz/72hz/75hz).

Else - There's a damn good reason why it was cheap in a charity shop displayed on that there screen.... :LOL:

-Rob

How do i change the hz?
:)

Back