Old laptops

Steve T

Suspended / Banned
Name
STEVE
Edit My Images
No
I've got an old one, Packard Bell iGo 1000. 1 gig ram and 40 gig hard drive in mint condition apart from the battery being knackered. It's not worth anything and I don't need/use it, I just can't bring myself to chuck it away.
Is it good for anything? I can't get any more ram into it but wonder if you can get any more life out of these old bits of kit with any new gizmos:thinking:

Hi Steve,

I have a large stack of laptops because once they go wrong and they do, I just replace them. It is cheaper to do so than mess around repairing them.

I would like to let friends have them, but the problem is they have secure information on. I could get them securely wiped, but then there is no operating system and the friend then wants to know how to get them going! Again more time which I don't have. So they end up gathering dust in the corner of the workshop!

But if you buy a Mac well that is a different story. I have three macs and the oldest one, which must be about 6 years old is still working fine. In the same time I have replaced my laptop about 5 times!

Of course if you are a computer whizz you can work on them easily. I am an electronics engineer not and full on computer geek, but you get to a point when you just give up with them. Usually for me it is about 2 - 3 or maybe if it was an expensive laptop 4 hours. Then I give in and scrap it!

Good luck in search for something to do with it!

Best regards

Chris

If you can't think of a use for it, it isn't worth worrying about. You could probably install Linux on it if you fancied having a tinker, but that's about all (no battery -> no portability which, after all, is what a laptop is for).

@G2EWS: <sigh> we could spend days arguing about what you've just written, and get very frustrated with each other too - but what would be the point?

I've got an old one, Packard Bell iGo 1000. 1 gig ram and 40 gig hard drive in mint condition apart from the battery being knackered. It's not worth anything and I don't need/use it, I just can't bring myself to chuck it away.
Is it good for anything? I can't get any more ram into it but wonder if you can get any more life out of these old bits of kit with any new gizmos:thinking:

If you can't get any more RAM in it and the battery is gubbed, and you don't need or use it there is no real logical point in keeping it... but if you're a hoarder like me you'll do it anyway.

@G2EWS: <sigh> we could spend days arguing about what you've just written, and get very frustrated with each other too - but what would be the point?

+2

I would hope that what your really mean is discuss and that is always a good thing.

But which bit would you 'discuss' with me? Buying a new computer within a few hours of not being able to fix one or the mac bit!

The mac bit is interesting because I own as I say three macs and have three Windows laptops always in use and another three desktop Windows machines which get used occasionally.

I fully get it, if someone is a geek and knows how to write code and go into the deep rooted part of a Windows machine. For them it is a low cost product that they can keep going for a long time.

But for the average person who just wants to turn the computer on, not wait 5 minutes for it to get started, has no interest in re writing the software or delving inside the computer then owning a mac is soooo much cheaper. It does what it says on the tin. When I turn any of the mac's on they boot up in about 10 seconds from cold, or as they suggest if you boot them from sleep it takes a couple of seconds. What's more when you open it from sleep it actually works! It doesn't start running slowly or you find that a programme that was running fine is now causing problems.

In fact, here you go. I have a problem with Outlook 2010 that drives me nuts. When I start a new email it automatically double spaces my text. This is because Windows thinks that is what I want. I can manually go into every email I create and change this! Time consuming and annoying and even more annoying I have to do this about 75% of the time. Or I can delve into the software with warnings from Microsoft that I may break the computer by doing so and re write some code! How totally crazy is that?

Best regards

Chris

Tell that to the pile of MacBook pros we have at work in a pile rotting away :LOL:

Neil,

Sounds bad to me! The only problem I had with MacBook pro which was serious but was fixed under warranty was the mother board and SSD drive failed. But I think this was coupled to a problem with the battery.

Touch wood, no problems since. Think I have owned if about four years now.

Best regards

Chris

But for the average person who just wants to turn the computer on, not wait 5 minutes for it to get started,

My Windows 7 HP laptop starts in about 15 seconds (though it has an SSD)... my work PC in about a minute. My partner's MBP with a 7200 RPM hard drive takes about a minute to load also.

"Writing the software" or "delving into the machine" is not a requirement of using Windows either; you buy or download the software just like with any other operating system. I don't know where you got this propaganda from.

I can also provide examples of young Macs breaking down (thank goodness for AppleCare) as well as young PCs breaking down, and I can provide examples of old (15+ years) IBM/Clone and Apple machines still running... in other words, having an Apple sticker on it and Foxconn components inside does not make it bulletproof!

We really, really don't have to do this. There's no discussion here - in fact there never is - and these arguments always start because someone thinks they know better because they've had a spate of bad luck. We don't need or want this fanboy behaviour, so please, take it to bed.

Last edited:
My Windows 7 HP laptop starts in about 15 seconds (though it has an SSD)... my work PC in about a minute. My partner's MBP with a 7200 RPM hard drive takes about a minute to load also.

"Writing the software" or "delving into the machine" is not a requirement of using Windows either; you buy or download the software just like with any other operating system. I don't know where you got this propaganda from.

I can also provide examples of young Macs breaking down (thank goodness for AppleCare) as well as young PCs breaking down, and I can provide examples of old (15+ years) IBM/Clone and Apple machines still running... in other words, having an Apple sticker on it and Foxconn components inside does not make it bulletproof!

We really, really don't have to do this. There's no discussion here - in fact there never is - and these arguments always start because someone thinks they know better because they've had a spate of bad luck. We don't need or want this fanboy behaviour, so please, take it to bed.

Not sure I understand what you are saying, nor you I!

First there is no argument this is a discussion. If you want an argument count me out!

Basically my experience is from running my own company and of being a Director of a very large public company.

I have never seen a Windows machine that runs for any length of time without needing the intervention of an expert. If you search on the Windows support site when you have a problem it often talks about Regedit and how doing the wrong thing can permanently damage your computer. I have given you my latest problem which can only be fixed by delving very deep.

As I say if you are a geek or very knowledgable you will be fine. But if you are an ordinary person then Windows needs the help of someone else on a regular basis.

So we are not talking about a spate of bad luck, we are talking about first hand experience of real situations. We did of course have full time support people within the company I mentioned so it was nothing more than an inconvenience.

I agree that if you want to argue, we definitely don't need it and as I say count me out. However if you want to discuss it further I am happy to do so as and when I get the spare time.

Best regards

Chris

Good lord.

As an IT professional for a national retailer (sigh, i hate job title drops) who has to deal with both platforms on a day to say basis if your windows machines need constant attention then you need to sack your IT dept.

We get just as many support requests from the design dept (1/3 of the building) as the windows lot, go figure.

I have never seen a Windows machine that runs for any length of time without needing the intervention of an expert.

Best regards

Chris

Wow I must be an expert then, have 5 windows machines from 3 to 10 years old all running fine, oldest one on XP feels slow compared to newest whizzy fast Windows7 laptop.

How can anyone get through 5 laptops in 6 years.
This one is often on for six hours daily and seems to have beat at least three of yours already! :nuts:

I leave the most used one on standby and it starts up ready to use in rather less than 10 seconds when a key is touched.
Being windows7 it's very stable and runs for weeks on end without a reboot.

Last edited:
4wd said:
How can anyone get through 5 laptops in 6 years.
This one is often on for six hours daily and seems to have beat at least three of yours already! :nuts:

It's called negligence. The latitudes we use are bombproof but there are certain people that always seem to have issues..

Chris (G2EWS), you are unbelievable.
You have taken this thread completely off topic and given inaccurate information.

Please can a moderator clean this thread up so it can get back on topic? Thanks.

Chris (G2EWS), you are unbelievable.
You have taken this thread completely off topic and given inaccurate information.

Please can a moderator clean this thread up so it can get back on topic? Thanks.

Sorry Joe, I have given you my experience and that of the companies I have been involved in, why should that be inaccurate.

I accept that some people never get a problem. My computers are either on 24 hours a day - macs - or about 18 - Windows.

It is interesting that this discussion always seems to upset people. Why can you not accept that there are issues with some computers and software. I have only stated my case. Simple really.

Neil, I see you cite 'negligence'. That is exactly the point. You have to know what you are doing on a Windows driven machine ie not be negligent. Look after it, cosset it. But a mac, well it just works whatever you do.

As I say, if you have the knowledge then Window's machines are in my opinion cheap. If you don't and it goes wrong then if like me where time is money, you can only give it so much time. Then it becomes a pointless exercise to try and get it going. For £400 - 500 why would you spend a day or more delving into the computer to get it going. Fine as I say if you have a technical support department. For most of the time they can get it sorted. But not everyone has such a department. Myself, like a lot of people just want it to work when we switch it on.

I also agree that if you have a lot of time on your hands then getting a computer going is not a problem. I don't have the luxury of that time which is split between work and play in fairly equal measures. My time with my family is far more valuable than spending a few hundred pounds every year or so!

Best regards

Chris

Yawn Mac v Win is more tedious than Canon v Nikon!

Steve, one option would be to use the old lappy as a file server on a home network with external USB drives.
Not a speeedy option, but at least it would be doing something useful.

Yawn Mac v Win is more tedious than Canon v Nikon!

Agreed!

Mark, do you need 'file server' software to do that?

Last time I looked at using one of the old desktop machines in the office for that I was quoted a lot of money to install 'microsoft server software' I think it was. But something tells me that it should be cheaper than that.

Best regards

Chris

Which needs Microsoft server products to run a file server? Serious misunderstanding.

Sharing a folder out makes a machine a file server :)

If you want a Microsoft server product for a file server, use the hyper-v server. It is obviously not it's designed role, but it does it very well and it is free.

Feel free to come to my office and see my last 3 laptops all working, only upgraded to get better performance. The oldest is coming up to 10 years.

Which needs Microsoft server products to run a file server? Serious misunderstanding.

Sharing a folder out makes a machine a file server :)

If you want a Microsoft server product for a file server, use the hyper-v server. It is obviously not it's designed role, but it does it very well and it is free.

Feel free to come to my office and see my last 3 laptops all working, only upgraded to get better performance. The oldest is coming up to 10 years.

Thanks Dale,

Happy to visit Sandhurst on my travels if you can 'teach' me anything!

Regards

Chris

I have never seen a Windows machine that runs for any length of time without needing the intervention of an expert.
<sigh> this is where you're rubbing people up the wrong way. Your use of absolutes.... What if I said I'd never seen a competent IT department (sorry Neil and other IT pros, bear with me)?

My last but one laptop was built (we have a corporate "build" of software which gets installed on this weeks current "corporate laptop") by the IT department. Not only did it come with no anti-virus, it actually came complete with 3 viruses installed!! Does that make ALL IT departments incompetent? No. Just some individuals that work for them are. Just as in all aspects of life, some people are more competent than others.

Some windows machines need more maintenance than others, but that's generally down to commercial machines coming with a lot of "value add" software that is plain rubbish and individual users being incompetent and just clicking yes when software wants to install itself. Windows doesn't automagically run software that does things to itself just to frustrate the user you know....

We have 5 Windows machines (6 if you include the works laptop plus 3 linux and 2 FreeBSD, but that's another discussion) here - 4 are laptops that only ever get rebooted when they need to from being updated - they never crash, they don't need me to drop into the registry to fix problems, they all suspend/resume properly etc.... One of them is even 6+ years old and apart from the battery not holding charge, runs just as well as it did on day 1. Why? because the users (there are 3, me, MS arad85 and an 11 year old) know not to just install whatever is suggested by the web.

Does that make ALL windows machines perfect? Nope, but it does completely invalidate your sweeping statement that all need the intervention of an expert (I can't remember the last time I had to "maintain" any machine here in the way you suggest)....

I could equally point to the lots of threads in this sub-forum where people are saying "I have problem x with my Mac" and make the completely inaccurate sweeping statement that all Macs need expert intervention - but I wouldn't do that as I'd be wrong.

I have given you my latest problem which can only be fixed by delving very deep.
Well, you've given an overview of a problem which a VERY quick google search leads to: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/messages-are-double-spaced/

which describes why there is a problem and offers 6 solutions. A few are of the "ignore it" style, but one jumps out as a permanent solution:

Edit the email template to add '12 points after' in the Normal style.

Seems fairly straightforward to me... Of course, the problem that is explained in that post may not be the one you describe, but then that's my interpretation of what you say is your problem.

I agree that if you want to argue, we definitely don't need it and as I say count me out.
This isn't an argument? Really? Could have fooled me.

The best definition I've come across of argument vs discussion is this one:

An argument throws heat; a discussion throws light.

It's nice and warm but terribly dark here....

Neil, I see you cite 'negligence'. That is exactly the point. You have to know what you are doing on a Windows driven machine ie not be negligent. Look after it, cosset it. But a mac, well it just works whatever you do.

again tell that that to the pile of macs that need OSX reinstalling because theyve ground to a halt. your logic is flawed, both are the same hardware and the OS (comparing W7 to Snow Leopard (dont get me started on Lion)) are pretty much identical in terms of use and required maintenance.

anyway, im out. until it gets back on topic.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your response. Really not trying to rub people up the wrong way, just trying to explain what I have seen. When you delve into people saying they have no problem with Windows it nearly always seems to be the case that they know just that bit more about the computer than they first think.

Certainly not an argument from my corner. I am just letting you know how it is here! I would have to retaliate for it to be an argument and I don't think I have done that.

I run software on my laptops that is needed for my business, nothing to onerous and I agree we and my family 'never' download software without me being involved. My Daughter who is now almost 15 has been using an iMac 25 for the last 6 years and never had a problem. She is on her second Windows laptop. The first just started to run slow so I replaced it last year. I had done various MS upgrades to get it running better, but in the end it was time for it to go. I have to say that in general running Windows 7 on the new one is OK. Apart from when she wants to print at home. Almost every time it looses communication with the printer. We have to un install the printer and re install it. I have to regularly do the same on my laptop. I gave up a while ago trying to find an answer when I kept coming up against discussions about - and I hate to say this - going into the registry! - Maybe there is an answer now, but I cannot see why Microsoft don't issue a simple upgrade to Windows 7 that resolves this problem if a lot of people experience the same.

Thanks for the link and yes I have been through all of those possibilities, but unfortunately you cannot just make the change in the 5th suggestion in Outlook 2010. Annoying and again I want a simple solution not one that I have to search the interweb for.

I have seen problems on the mac it is true. An upgrade to the OS caused something to go wrong. Within 30 minutes I had a fix emailed which when installed sorted it out. I didn't have to do any more than run the fix. Surely that is the way it should be for every personal computer?

Just my story, nothing more, nothing less.

Best regards

Chris

Although you have provided a lot of inaccurate information, that is not the main reason why I am annoyed. Macs should have never been brought up in this topic.
If you wanted a Mac Vs PC discussion, you should have started a new thread.

This thread is well and truly gone now, well done... I would suggest that you apologise to the OP (Steve).

if your computer slows down, why not just reinstall the OS?
Takes what 90 minutes if that . . .
Its all menu driven, the hardest part would probably getting your computer to boot off the DVD

I know this part is technical but the above part is simple enough that my 10 year old can (and has) done it in the past
Im deploying windows 7 and a full suite of software (around 46GB's) to 200 computers / laptops this week. I'll get all 200 done and ready to boot onto the network within 2 weeks easily. It takes about 70 minutes per machine, and yes this is a fully automated install which can get complicated but just installing the OS and then the programs you require is not.

Last edited:
if your computer slows down, why not just reinstall the OS?
Takes what 90 minutes if that . . .
Its all menu driven, the hardest part would probably getting your computer to boot off the DVD

I know this part is technical but the above part is simple enough that my 10 year old can (and has) done it in the past
Im deploying windows 7 and a full suite of software (around 46GB's) to 200 computers / laptops this week. I'll get all 200 done and ready to boot onto the network within 2 weeks easily. It takes about 70 minutes per machine, and yes this is a fully automated install which can get complicated but just installing the OS and then the programs you require is not.

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for the suggestion. I have of course done this on many occasions and I have to say it has never taken just 70 minutes to complete!

As mentioned Windows 7 is very good, but even my latest laptop which was 5 months old when it slowed to a grinding halt took a weekend to resolve. I made the mistake of pressing the button that re installs everything as if new. It still had the fault. When I went back to PC World to buy a new hard drive they told me to try again with the DVD's I created. This would, they said get rid of any virus that might be in the machine rather than installing of the internal hard drive. I cannot comment, on that, only report what I was told. I took the decision to give it a go and spent most of the weekend getting it back to original, searching for all the necessary updates, then re installing everything that I needed. I did feel at the time that I should not have needed to do this and spend all that time. Of course it was not 48 hours of effort, only visiting to put the necessary bits on as and when.

But it is running fairly well and has been for the last 4 or 5 months. A bit slow to boot up Outlook, but I can live with that.

Best regards

Chris

I dont know what laptop you have but to solve the slow bootup issue, buy a SSD drive and replace the mechanical drive that you probably already have in there.

They have really dropped in price recently, ive picked up a 120GB SSD for £70 and put it into my 2009 imac and its gone from cold booting in 42 seconds to under 20 seconds now and thats only running on SATA II speeds. If your laptop is newer it mau even have SATA III which is twice as fast as SATA II

Its cheaper than buying a new laptop every time is slows down.

Getting back on topic, what are the options for using it as a file server (effectively a NAS?)
Could it be used as an HTPC running XBMC or something similar?

windows, share folder, done :)

depends on the cpu and gpu on whether it could be used as a HTPC, especially with HD content.

I'm sure that what you're saying is valid but I'm refusing to read it on the basis that I haven't forgiven you for no longer having the cookie monster avatar that made me smile whenever I saw it (which considering your post count was quite frequently!) :LOL::LOL:

I'm sure that what you're saying is valid but I'm refusing to read it on the basis that I haven't forgiven you for no longer having the cookie monster avatar that made me smile whenever I saw it (which considering your post count was quite frequently!) :LOL::LOL:

hahah yeah figured it was time for a change, i get bored easily so might change back at some point :D

Getting back on topic, what are the options for using it as a file server (effectively a NAS?)
Could it be used as an HTPC running XBMC or something similar?
I can't find any info on the iGo 1000, but it looks fairly old. I'd expect it to have a 10/100 Ethernet port and Wireless G at best which is limited to 54Mbits/sec.

It's going to be S....L....O....W as a fileserver with those specs.

Unlikely to have a GPU powerful enough to do xbmc either (but exact specs would be great).

Has he gone now:):eek:

What I was thinking was:naughty:...

Could I strip it down to the bare basics to be a sort of extension of live view and just use the eos utility on it for tethered use.
would it need an OS and stuff

I bet Andy and Neil wish they had thought of that:cool:

Now tell me why it would be a crap idea:LOL:

Could I strip it down to the bare basics to be a sort of extension of live view and just use the eos utility on it for tethered use.
You wouldn't need to strip it down, just use it "as is", so yes. I guess you could put it in a dedicated case (is that what you mean), and probably even find a battery for it if you knew what voltage they are.

would it need an OS and stuff
Yes.

I bet Andy and Neil wish they had thought of that:cool:
:razz: :razz: ;)

I,ve got a couple of oldish laptops and took them into PC world and they advised me that to be honest its not really worth upgrading them, not cost effective
I bought a new battery for it and used it to upload and view photos while on holiday:clap:

dont want to get into mac vs pc but none of our 3 windows laptops have ever gone wrong and they are a few years old now:)

Back