Old printing device, perhaps

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Can any of the older film photographers help me out here?

I'm trying work out if this device ever existed or if I have just made it up.

My 'memory' of this dates from the mid 1960s and it allowed the quick printing of postcard sized prints from 35mm negatives.

It was a metal tube, perhaps about 12/15 inches high, with a rectangular cross section. The cross section was the size and shape of a postcard(ie 6x4 inches).

The base of the tube could open, in some way, and a 6x4 piece of photographic paper could be put into and held flat on the inside when the base was closed.

The top of the tube had a 35mm negative holder and on the inside was a fixed lens that was set so it projected a focussed image of a negative in the holder on to the paper at the bottom of the tube.

I think a certain wattage of light bulb was recommended to be used at a particular distance for x seconds to give a well exposed print.

Clearly you could only produce one size of print but the idea was to speed up the process, though I'm not sure how much quicker it would be than an enlarger set up correctly, but perhaps it was also intended as a cheap entry into photographic printing.

Does anyone else recall this device or have I imagined it.

Thanks

Dave

BTW if I have just imagined it and it has any commercial value then I claim it as my invention.:)

Johnson's of Hendon Jumbo Printer, from memory. If this doesn't help, I can easily look it up and price it with the official name.

That downloads a pdf, in case anyone else downloads it 3 times before realising.

It's not the device I have in mind, as it is just a contact printer.

I think it was basically just a cheap way of getting family sized prints at home. I once had the privilege of being instructed in enlarging by my local photographic chemist, who developed and printed films brought in himself, and he used a rangefinder enlarger very quickly, together with an exposure meter. So, not for commercial operation, I think.

There was a more work bench device that could be used to both print and process the resulting paper prints that was intended for commercial use, but that's another story.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's the one, Terry or something very much like it. Thanks to all who replied.

Dave

Back