Oly Trip new skin fitted! Pimp your trip here!

wontolla

Misery Guts Monica
Name
I'm not a Misery Guts and Monica is not my Moniker
Edit My Images
Yes
Following on from THIS thread, Adow2 (Alan) very kindly sent me a new skin for my Trip, free! He asked me to post pics of the Oly once I had fitted it, so here they are! Pretty damn smart I think. Thanks once again Alan! (y)

1 Front.

front by wontolla1, on Flickr

2 Back

back by wontolla1, on Flickr

3 Left side

P1010255 by wontolla1, on Flickr

4 Right side

side by wontolla1, on Flickr

Sent for a black touch up pen for the black trim etc, then just needs a little polish and it's ready for action, as I have also done the light seals!

Last edited:
Absolutely brilliant!!!! That looks amazing! Like the neck strap too! Just a few questions: where have you ordered a touch up pen from? Where did you get the lens hood? I've been searching for one that doesn't cost more than my Oly! Does it effect the selenium cells at all? And finally, I've got a couple of sets of light seals, how easy are they to fit!

Thanks for posting the pics! Superb!

Touchup pen HERE, (I also have a Daisy BB Winchester)
The lens hood came from EBay, I will have to look up where I got from and get back to you on that!
The hood does not seem to affect the cell at all, as you can see from my pics on Flickr.
Light seals are a bit fiddly, but one tip I got from a guy in the US was to put the seals in your mouth after taking them off the backing and get them damp but not wet, it makes the seals easier to fit then stick when dry! It works too!

It's absolutely disgusting.... I love it. Definitely pimped. (y)

Andy

Where did you get the lens hood? I've been searching for one that doesn't cost more than my Oly! Does it effect the selenium cells at all?

Found it Alan, I got the lens hood from THIS seller on EBay, bought a few item from him last year. He has an original hood (with screw) for £20 for sale, this is cheaper than a lot I have seen for sale recently.
It might be worth bookmarking his sales as he seems to get lots of rarer items.

It's absolutely disgusting.... I love it. Definitely pimped. (y)

Andy

Cheers Andy, it looks better on than it did when I first saw it!
Now for all my other Olly's! :D

You'll get some looks ( and comments!) with that :D

I've got a couple of folders that could do with recovering ....think I'll go a bit more low key though.....I draw enough attention to myself as it is! :D :D

Nice job on your part nonetheless(y)

....think I'll go a bit more low key though.....I draw enough attention to myself as it is! :D :D

I see, probably because you have two heads! :LOL:.
Thanks Asha.

Very original, that will certainly draw the crowds attention.

Don't know why Olympus didn't use that material origially:LOL:

Very original, that will certainly draw the crowds attention.

Don't know why Olympus didn't use that material origially:LOL:

No one would have bought one, thats why! :D

It's not the brightest I have seen, not by a long way! :razz:

Love it! Might have to look into getting a skin...

Going to see if I can find a craft shop that does sticky back leatherette and have a go at making my own for some of my other Olly's!

Looking forward to seeing that if you do!! How hard was it to fit? Is it just peeling the black off and replacing with the new or did you have to take any other steps? I'm really interested so trying to get as much info before I go looking for one! I'm not that great with fiddly things and wouldn't want to ruin my trip :LOL:

Looking forward to seeing that if you do!! How hard was it to fit? Is it just peeling the black off and replacing with the new or did you have to take any other steps? I'm really interested so trying to get as much info before I go looking for one! I'm not that great with fiddly things and wouldn't want to ruin my trip :LOL:

OK, here's a step by step on how I did it. It's not that difficult.
You will need-
lint free cloth.
lighter fluid.
tweezers.
small screwdriver or plastic/wood spatula.
hairdrier.

Start with the back, it's the easiest so will give you a bit of confidence.
Hopefully it will peel off no problem in one piece, if not, warming with the hairdrier will soften the glue. 'Tip' if you do get it of in one piece, save the old skin to use as a template for future use.
Once off, scrape any old glue off the metal and clean with cloth and lighter fluid. start in one corner and line up long straight edge, dont worry if you dont get it right, the sticky will stand a peeling off or two. Use the screwdriver/spatula to tuck the skin under the recesses.
Using the cloth, smooth the skin to get a good adhesion.
Next the skin to the right of the lens (without the flash sync socket).
Remove as above and clean, tuck the skin under the lens part first, then round to the back/release catch, making sure it is lined up with the guides and tuck under the recess with screwdriver/spatula.
Now for the most dificult bit, the left side that has the flash sync socket. Remove old skin and clean as above, tuck the new skin under the lens and around the flash sync socket.
This can be very fiddly and a lttle perseverence is needed, but the new skin needs to be tucked under the lens recess or it will be to long at the hinge and will need cutting.
Lastly, smooth skin all over with a little pressure to make sure it's all stuck,
stand back, admire, then take a pics to show us! (y)

If using the old skin for a template, stick it to some good quality card, I like the plastic covered type, carfully draw round the old skin the cut it out and save both template AND old skin.

Hope that helps you, (and any others that may like to have a go!)

Last edited:
Thanks very much Barry! Won't be able to get a skin for a couple of weeks but will give it a go and post photos!

Nice one Alan! Looks good, nice job mate. (y)

Edit: Title changed too!

Last edited:
I've just bought a skin in deep pink and a light seal replacement kit because I removed what was left of my Trip's light seals a few years ago and never got around to replacing them.

This is going to be really fiddly, isn't it? :bonk:

I've just bought a skin in deep pink and a light seal replacement kit because I removed what was left of my Trip's light seals a few years ago and never got around to replacing them.

This is going to be really fiddly, isn't it? :bonk:
Lets put it this way.
Don't do it if you need the loo.
Don't do it if you are drunk.
Don't do it if you are not alone.
Don't do it if you are hungry.
Don't do it if you have a drink nearby.
Don't do it if you have no patience.

Otherwise it's easy! Go for it!

Lets put it this way.
Don't do it if you need the loo.
Don't do it if you are drunk.
Don't do it if you are not alone.
Don't do it if you are hungry.
Don't do it if you have a drink nearby.
Don't do it if you have no patience.

Otherwise it's easy! Go for it!

Oh dear :| I'll let you know how I get on...

Got two light seal kits (they came together obviously incase you make a cock-up I suppose) might have a go at doing mine as the originals seem non existent. Only thing is I'm not getting any symptoms of light leaks so should I just leave well alone??? Is it that bad a job??

No, it's easy.
When you take the backing off the seals, put them in your mouth and get them moist (I kid you not) insert them, close the back and leave overnight, when they dry they stick! believe me, it works and makes the installation so much easier.

Back