Olympus 35 SP Question

simon ess

Just call me Roxanne.
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks

Can anyone throw any light on the following curiosity please?

Up till now I've been using the SP in full manual mode with a handheld meter. I wasn't confident in the accuracy of the camera meter.

I have since played around with different batteries and I'm now confident the meter is accurate.

So, I thought I'd try it in full auto mode.

Thing is though, it sounds as if the shutter speed doesn't change regardless of light conditions.

Google throws up one question about the same issue but no indication if it was resolved.

Given the camera works perfectly otherwise, I can think of no reason why there would be a real problem.

Can anyone enlighten me please.

Thanks

do we know what slowest shutter speed is in auto

Its 1 second

short of somebody coming back and saying theirs is the same and its fine, you could do with opening the back and seeing if you can actually see the diaphragm opening for 1 second in auto with the meter covered.
if that isn't possible, I dunno, some rfs are a bit funny with their shutter mechanisms rely on mechanical timers to time slow speeds but not on the faster speeds
there's also the thought that the shutter is only audible on opening, but not closing, or the other way round.
either way, I'd just wack a film through it and see...:)

there's also the thought that the shutter is only audible on opening, but not closing, or the other way round.

This was my thought too. I was hoping someone would know for sure.

The other thing to mention is that the shutter locks in very low light, as it's supposed to.

I suppose I'll have to risk a roll.

locks as in, won't fire because its too dark ?

tbh, it seems you are challenging the communication between the meter and the shutter, since they both appear to work independently in manual, I'd be fairly confident they'd work together in auto.....but.....ya never know..:), it'd be an unusual failure unless its noted in history as a common fault I reckon.

since they both appear to work independently in manual, I'd be fairly confident they'd work together in auto.....but.....ya never know..:), it'd be an unusual failure unless its noted in history as a common fault I reckon.

I suspect it's fine.

Google reveals no history of such a fault.

Back