Olympus 35RC - Project Deco

While I'm working on the camera itself I'm also working on a custom black leather drawstring bag to hold it in (with the assistance of my mum with her embroidery hardware!)

View attachment 60542

I'm editing the image now in software to add more stitches to the Olympus logo so it's solid but looking good so far :0)

Whayhay! I don't know what to say! Superb Steve!
Thank your Mum profusely for me!

No problem Baz, I've just thanked her :0)

Just finished another version with more stitches on each letter and spaced the RC further apart slightly so it looks neater.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1459180679.291190.jpg

The final version will be white text on black leather but I had some white offcuts to hand for testing.

That looks Just the Ds Bs!

Right thread this time!

I've just been sent a couple of shots of the first trial bag. This one is made from cloth instead of the leather and the final one will be slightly smaller to be a more snug fit. There will also be a black tie string instead of white :0)

I am definitely being spoilt here! And it's not my birthday until May!
I think these would go down well on ebey or on here!

I am definitely being spoilt here! And it's not my birthday until May!
I think these would go down well on ebey or on here!

Funnily enough I did tell my Mum that she may get some orders off the back of this! She embroiders logos/names on anything already and has just ordered a 3D printer which I'm looking forward to getting some use of :0) My first print is going to be the filter holders for my TLR so I'm drawing up the 3D files now.

Funnily enough I did tell my Mum that she may get some orders off the back of this! She embroiders logos/names on anything already and has just ordered a 3D printer which I'm looking forward to getting some use of :0) My first print is going to be the filter holders for my TLR so I'm drawing up the 3D files now.

Will it print a Leica? :D

I love the catch (rubber band) and the shutter (sticky tape) but why not? Not everyone can say I printed the film AND the camera!
Cracking talking point!

Should be good!
What does the 3d printer use for 'ink'?
I have no knowledge of the workings!

Ahhh, right. So it's a glue gun with computer attached!

This is one of the best threads I have read every day,well done Steve your work is amazing. (y)

Thanks for that, I really appreciate it :0) The printable water decal sheet arrived yesterday so I'm going to do some test prints today to get the logo size right.

My mum had a few problems stitching the leather I had so I'm going to find some slightly thinner material for the bag. She's made another one out of heavy black material but isn't 100% happy with it (must be where I get it from!)

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1459495519.979421.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks for that, I really appreciate it :0) The printable water decal sheet arrived yesterday so I'm going to do some test prints today to get the logo size right.

My mum had a few problems stitching the leather I had so I'm going to find some slightly thinner material for the bag. She's made another one out of heavy black material but isn't 100% happy with it (must be where I get it from!)
What? Not being happy or girly sewing? :confused:

Last edited:
Oh Yeh, forgot about that! I'll retract the girly sewing bit then. :naughty:

Last edited:
Spot on Steve for the size.
Lighter or darker grey? They need to stand out a little?

Gotcha! (y)

I'm not getting the definition I wanted because I'm using a clear sheet instead of a white backed sheet.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1459634648.261088.jpg

It's subtle but a little too much I think? If I use a white backed sheet instead I'd have to cut out the letters perfectly so there's no edge around the logos which would be pretty much impossible with this design.

This still needs a coat of lacquer to blend in the edges of the decal but I know you wanted obvious logos instead of blended.

Actually, now the decal is drying off there's a bit more obvious definition.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1459634879.540354.jpg

Hmmm, for me I'd go with the less obvious logo that's there if you look to go with the original smoothing off of the plates but it's up to you @wontolla :0)

Fine Steve, I'm happy with that.
Will it be the same on the front?
What about black, would that solve the problem?

OK, cheers Steve!

That will look really good against the grey background!

I'm hoping so :0) it's difficult getting white vinyl cut small enough for these logos and I always pictured a pretty stealthy looking camera so I think the black will work really well.

Don't mean to be controversial 35rc needs to be darker, the squiggle does nothing for me.

No problem at all. The 35Rc text is already black but it's printed on a clear decal sheet so loses some of its intensity against the grey. The squiggle is the original Olympus logo but again, it doesn't stand out enough against the grey. Hmmm, think I might be sanding back lacquer later.

Back